Did your doctor discuss HRT with you? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Did your doctor discuss HRT with you? Did your doctor discuss HRT with you?

Unread 03-03-2008, 03:52 PM
Did your doctor discuss HRT with you?

My doctor called to tell me the good news was I didn't have cancer...the bad news I needed a hysterectomy (including ovaries). I haven't had a period for two years but my hormone levels are normal. Had biopsies done and they show hyperplasia. The doctor set a date for the hysterectomy. There was no discussion about HRT! I have concerns about taking hormones:
1. I am adopted. I don't know what sort of medical problems run in my family.
2. I have had severe migraines and cluster headaches since childhood.
3. I have high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and high triglycerides.

I was unable to take hormones in the past because they made my migraines unbearable.
I know taking the HRT ups the risk for breast cancer but I am left wondering if my risk of heart problems aren't more urgent than breast cancer. I have never been more confused. Is it a given that I will have a tough time of it if I don't take HRT?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-03-2008, 09:28 PM

I discussed hrt with my doctor before my hyst. I was already experiencing signs of menopause before my hyst so I was taking a form of hormones already, and did not have a problem with it.

I would talk with my doctor about hormones. You might want to look at Resources library and research before you get with him about whether to take hrt or not.

Hrt is different for everyone, and depends a lot on age, health, and family history on whether one can take it.

s
Unread 03-05-2008, 04:12 PM

GlenArden,
I never thought to discuss hrt before my surgery and my doctor didn't bring it up. When I reached my room after surgery, a nurse came in and slapped a patch on my behind! I said what's that? She said "hormones". Okay... It wasn't until after my surgery that I discovered HysterSisters and started learning that my symptoms were hormone related and than started doing more research about my options.

You're smart to look at this now, before your surgery. Have you brought up the subject with your doctor? There is lots of good information in the articles at www.hormonejungle.com You could print out the articles that interest you the most and bring them in to discuss with your doctor.

Best wishes to you on your upcoming surgery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-06-2008, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenArden
My doctor called to tell me the good news was I didn't have cancer...the bad news I needed a hysterectomy (including ovaries). I haven't had a period for two years but my hormone levels are normal. Had biopsies done and they show hyperplasia. The doctor set a date for the hysterectomy. There was no discussion about HRT! I have concerns about taking hormones:
1. I am adopted. I don't know what sort of medical problems run in my family.
2. I have had severe migraines and cluster headaches since childhood.
3. I have high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and high triglycerides.

I was unable to take hormones in the past because they made my migraines unbearable.
I know taking the HRT ups the risk for breast cancer but I am left wondering if my risk of heart problems aren't more urgent than breast cancer. I have never been more confused. Is it a given that I will have a tough time of it if I don't take HRT?
You are very wise to look into this beforehand. My doctor gave me the usual Pollyanna-ish line - "it will be no big deal." I understand why they do this - they don't want anyone to borrow trouble, and the whole hormone issue involves your emotional well-being as well as your physical well-being (IMHO).

I wanted to tell you this, though -- all my reproductive years I suffered from horrible monthly migraines. I could tell you the day that my estrogen dropped off, signaling my period to start. HORRIBLE pounding headache for 24 hours or more. And then when my period started, blissful calm and deep sleep. (which is why I knew I needed to add progesterone to my hrt.) When I took birth control pills for several years to shut my ovaries off and mitigate my familial ovarian cancer risk - I had such bad withdrawal headaches on my week "off" of the pill, that I wore a low-dose estrogen patch to blunt the headaches during that week. So - all this is leading somewhere. It did take a while after my surgery (about a year) but any headaches that I do get are much milder and signal that my estrogen is too low. I am SO MUCH better in that area. And my emotions are so much more even. I consider that a real upside to my HRT. I control it, and it's steady every day of the month.

I just wanted to give you the sunny side about your concern with migraines. About your other health issues, I cannot comment. Keep coming back, keep researching, and keep asking questions. If you're doctor tells you it will be a breeze - he/she MAY be right, but there is also a chance that it will take some time and you may have some rough patches - but eventually you will be fine.

Good luck and let us know how you're doing.
Unread 03-06-2008, 07:19 AM

My Dr didn't want to discuss HRT with me before my hyst. I had so many questions and he was very stubborn. This lead me to do research on my own. He kept telling me that I was going to take Premarin. I asked him if he would give me blood tests. He flat out said no. So, I looked into the best route for me. I found out about bioidenticals. He rolled his eyes at me when I asked for a bioidentical progesterone to help kill the endo. I decided to find another Dr. I didn't need a Dr who would fight me every step of the way and expect me to take horse urine! I found a great Dr who is very knowlegable about HRT. It took me 4 tries but it was worth it to find her! As far as your migraines go...I would find an HRT that will not give you dramatic hormone fluctuations. I recommend Femring. It is a transdermal HRT and will be better for you since you have to deal with the high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and high triglycerides. Patches will be good too but you might be too sensitive to the fluctuations. I was on Vivelle Dot, a bioidentical patch, and it served me well. I chose to change to Femring because of the convenience. This site is a great place to learn alot about HRT. It has been a huge blessing to me. And I agree that you are wise to research this before your hyst. Good luck!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register