Cyst-Watch 2008 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Separate Surgeries

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Cyst-Watch 2008 Cyst-Watch 2008

Unread 03-04-2008, 01:22 PM
Red face - Cyst-Watch 2008 Cyst-Watch 2008

Hi Hyster-Sisters!

I posted a few weeks ago with pain during and after sex...I made an appt with my doctor...it had felt like I had surgery after sex for days afterward. So today my appt rolled around and to be honest I was feeling pretty good. My gyn did an ultrasound and when he got to the right side I suddenly had excrutiating hip pain. He said I had a 10cm cyst on my ovary. He wants me to come back in 3 weeks to see if it is still there.

All of this has got me thinking that the hip pain and lower back pain that I have been having for months is connected to this. I have been told that I have bursitis and disk problems but no tests were ever done. The hip pain comes and goes as does the back pain sometimes it is mild, sometimes I have a hard time getting to sleep because there is no comfy way to lay. Driving and sitting up is the worst thing for it. Sex has not been my favorite activity...

Well, just curious if anyone can relate. I had 5 surgeries between 2005 and 2006, so I am not loking forward to any more, but would rather not have pain if I can help it. Maybe it won't come to that, but I am not a candidate for hormones.

Oh well, I won't borrow trouble! Just wanted to talk with those who understand. I am hurting really bad since the ultrasound...just feel crummy. Tired even.

betts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-04-2008, 01:50 PM
Cyst-Watch 2008

I can only speak for myself but every time I had severe problems with my ovaries, back pain and tenderness usually came with it. They showed up at times when even when my ovary wasn't rearing its ugly head! I also would feel a fullness of my bladder, like I had to go to the bathroom even if I just went.

A 10cm cyst seems pretty big - did the doc think it would go away on its own?
Unread 03-04-2008, 07:16 PM
Cyst-Watch 2008

Hey there betts,

I can TOTALLY relate! My cyst showed 7.7 cm on the ultrasound and we were going to watch for 6 weeks. I was back in 3 weeks because the pain was getting worse and I knew I'd been having the back, hip and pelvic pain for months. So, out it came last week since I couldn't do hormones either. It was the size of a grapefruit/canteloupe! They almost had to open me all the way up (they took bets in the OR !). Now that it's out, I'm realizing it definitely affected my bladder (felt like I had to go all the time) and my colon (I would be really uncomfortable and my left ovary would just burn :burning: until I had a BM). All of that is gone...amazing, huh!

I am sitting here complaining about 3 surgeries in 2 years...I can't imagine having had 5! Hopefully you have a great doctor who can help you figure out the best way to proceed. I haven't gotten all the details on my cyst yet, but it was totally benign. My post op appointment is next week so I have lots of questions for the doctor (what kind of cyst, measurement of cyst, etc.). I did lose my left ovary and tube, but I'm ok with that...still got one left...yeah! No hotflashes yet for me.

Have you got any pain medicine? Don't be afraid to ask for it. Let us know how things progress!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-05-2008, 08:14 AM
Cyst-Watch 2008

Thanks for the support! You know my dr. is really good, but he doesn't spend a lot of time on "what if's", when he is ready to take action he doesn't beat around the bush. Yesterday, I was totally unprepared for the verdict to be a cyst, so I had no questions for him. It took me half the day for it to even register that 10cm was quite a bit larger than any cyst I have had in the past ( I have a history of rupturing cysts, starting from age 11). So, I can't say I really drilled him about any of it. I think that if that cyst is still there in 3 weeks he will be happy to do something about it pronto.

I am still sort of in shock to think that all of these problems could be from this cyst. I have been taking everything from Valium to antidepressants for my back pain...its crazy. I even have pain that runs down my right thigh when my hip is at its worst.

I hope that I can hold on to at least one of my ovaries, I am 33 and not eager to begin menopause (who is?). I am so glad to have hystersisters to help me figure this all out and get through it. I practically lived here before my hyst.!

Thanks again!!!
betts
Unread 03-05-2008, 08:53 AM
Cyst-Watch 2008

Honey I feel for you, the pain I get runs from my front to the middle of my back down my butt and down the front of my thigh. I have been going to a chiropractor thinking it was my back, now that I know the mass is there I can d*****itely connect it all! Today Im having a rough day of standing and sitting, bladder and colon pressure. Im 27 days from getting rid of this little monster inside of me, I wish it was only 2 days. Ill be ovary free so hormones here I come ! Mine was over 7 3 weeks ago, at that time my doctor said that anything over 7 normally wont rupture on its own. So be prepared. 10cm is a doozie!! Good luck hon.
Unread 03-05-2008, 03:03 PM
Cyst-Watch 2008

Betts...yep, I'm with you! Once I found HS in 2006 I was here constantly for support. I love my sisters! And the leg pain was definitely a problem for me too. I'm also like you in that I really didn't expect the diagnosis of a cyst. I'd been having the leg, hip, back, pelvic discomfort for months, and I truly thought it could be still healing from the hysterectomy. They say it takes 12-18 months. After I hit December though I knew something else was up...just wasn't ready for that result.

I have tons of questions for my doctor now...the size of a grapefruit is huge! I can't imagine that rupturing; I'm so glad it didn't and we got it out. I have a pretty high pain tolerance, but I wouldn't have been prepared for that one I don't think.

We all wish you the best and want to hear how things progress! Take care of yourself! And Mandykat...keep us up-to-date too!
Unread 03-05-2008, 03:11 PM
Cyst-Watch 2008

The football sized cyst that I had prior to my hyst never burst but it leaked. I kept telling my doc I felt like I had a slow leak. When he got in it was gone, he said "you were right". Nooooooo duh, it is my body keep on smiling gals!!
Unread 03-05-2008, 03:43 PM
Cyst-Watch 2008

I too had chronic back, hip and leg pain for a couple of years. Never once did I relate it to the cysts I was having. Finally after many appointments and different diagnosis I had my surgery two weeks ago! I was shocked to have the pain gone almost instantaneously! I still can't believe that it was caused by the cysts and the size of my uterus. I read in some books that sometimes they sit right on the nerves that run down your back, hip and legs. Once removed - the pain just dissappears!

Good luck with everything!
Amy
Unread 03-05-2008, 08:46 PM
Cyst-Watch 2008

You all are the greatest...no where else can you get this kinda of love! LOL!

I am always amazed at how well we know our bodies, sure we can overreact now and then, but for the most part we know something is wrong, it is just finding the right doctor to look in the right direction. Everyone thought that I was a big, fat, lying, hypochondriac before I had my hyst. I mean the ultrasound people would practically roll their eyes at me as I lay on the table with tears running down my cheeks. Nothing would show up, then my doctor notice that I had some enlarged veins under my uterus...found out later that my veins were 4 times the normal size and I was literally having contractions from them, I kept telling everyone that I felt like I was in hard labor by the end of each day. The only painkiller I could get anyone to give me (they thought I was a drug-seeker) was darvocet, I saved them for when I felt like I was going to pass out because they didn't touch the pain. I was pretty angry that I had been blown off like that all those months. My life is so much better now because of that surgery. That pain, in addition to the horrid periods I had all my life just wasn't any way to live. I even got the side benefit of having a flatter belly (post-swelly belly) from getting rid of a 3-4 month pregnancy size uterus!

So, I am grateful that this cyst at least shows up! Although, now that I know that it is there, I am a little creeped out by it! Now I might be crazy but I feel like I feel it resting on my but while I sit! LOL I am still so sore from the ultrasound. I don't hardly want to do anything.

Talk to you all later! We are going away for the weekend, so I will look forward to getting back here with all the thoughts that creep up by then!

betts

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register