What do adhesions feel like? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What do adhesions feel like? What do adhesions feel like?

Unread 03-04-2008, 04:00 PM
What do adhesions feel like?

I have been having pain in both my sides now and again. Sometimes it feels like I am ovulating (Which I may be since I kept my ovaries) but some days like today it feels like bad menstrual cramps along my side and back. Almost like my back pain I had before my surgery to correct my prolapses.

I feel like an idiot asking the doc if this could be adhesions. But my Motrin (800mg) just is not cutting it. I take at least 2 a day then switch to Tynenol. I am tired of being in pain. I was feeling so good!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-04-2008, 08:22 PM

My gyn thinks I have adhesions. I'm having laparoscopic surgery for it. Sometimes it's just an ache or a pinch. Sometimes it feels like someone is grabbing from the inside and pulling as hard as they can. It started out just on my right side, but now it's all over. Sometimes all at once, sometimes just one area at a time. If I do to much, I swell and feel like I am in labor all over again. That's what it did the other night. He had already offered me pain meds, and I had refused. I ended up calling him crying that night, and he called me in vicodin. It works, but I don't function while on it, so I end up suffering during the day with my kids or at work. Getting anxious for the surgery though so I can finally have pain free days. Call your doctor. It can't hurt. If he/she doesn't help, find one that will.
Unread 03-04-2008, 09:45 PM

(((kdweh))) you're still fairly early in your recovery to have pain from adhesions, imho. I would be more inclined to suspect your ovaries, but urge you to talk with your DR and see what he/she thinks. The difficulty is that adhesions are only able to be diagnosed during surgery - they don't show up on any of the imaging tests.

I had adhesions after my hysterectomy, though they were taken down a year later during another surgery. Mostly what I felt was a pulling sensation when I moved in certain directions; rarely did they really hurt, and I never took anything for them. I think if they hadn't been removed, they might have eventually caused me quite a bit of GI pain (they were on the bowel), but that would have taken a while. I certainly didn't feel a thing at 2-3 months post op.

I hope this helps.
s,
-Linda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-05-2008, 09:26 AM

I just had a LSH due to adhesions from previous c-sections. The ultra-sound tech told me she could see that my ovaries were incased in adhesions. The doctor was able to save both of my ovaries but did a lot of work on them. As far as the pain goes I'm guessing everyone is different because I had constant pain - achy pain from under my ribs to my hips. I'd compare it to a toothache. Not overly sharp...just there all the time. Sometimes when I would get up quickly I would get severe sharp pain. I was told that was adhesions pulling away from where they were attached.
Unread 03-05-2008, 09:51 AM

How fast can we get these... That severe sharp pain is what I get occasionally... However I just had my surgery 5 wks ago..
Unread 03-05-2008, 10:25 AM

I had the severe sharp pains a few weeks after surgery last year... they did not let up. About 6 mos after I had a procedure to remove adhesions and to drain cysts on my ovaries. Well.... I just went in and had my right ovary removed due to the pulling, pinching feeling on my right side from adhesions. Also had a Monarch sling due to the fact that I leaked a little when I sneezed.

This hurts more than my hysterectomy did! PLEASE do NOT overdo it when you have a hysterectomy... you may feel great, but your body NEEDS time to heal correctly! Take it from someone who is paying the price for it now. REST, plenty of fluids and get treated like a princess.
Unread 03-05-2008, 10:28 AM

I really can't answer that question for you. I DO think it would be too soon for adhesions. Your pain may be "healing pain". I do know that when I was opened up for my c-sections (2yrs between child 1&2 and 2 1/2 yrs between 2 & 3) I was told that my body produced an unusually large amount of scar tissue. I never gave it any thought until I started to have pelvic pain about 5 yrs. ago. That means it would have been 6 yrs since my last c-section until I started with the pain.
Unread 03-05-2008, 12:32 PM

The doctors assistant told me adhesions have more to do with the person than the level of activity (ie straining during recouperation period) She equated it to a person that "grows" polyps vs. one that doesn.'t . Anyone else hear this?
Unread 03-05-2008, 12:42 PM

No, although some patients are more disposed to getting adhesions than others. They're not like polyps; they're more like scar tissue that forms due to an inflammatory response in the body. My surgeon told me that if we engage in too-heavy activity during the initial healing period, it can cause very tiny tears in the new tissues that are trying to form as the incision(s) heal. Tiny amounts of blood can leak from those tears, and scar tissue forms around it. To try to minimize the likelihood of forming them, he's always instructed me to avoid lifting anything heavy or moving in any sudden or jerking way, but to move in slow, fluid motions during the initial recovery period. He also has prescribed Vioxx (now Celebrex since we can't get Vioxx anymore) to help reduce the inflammation that seems related to them:

http://www.adhesions.org/whatsnew.htm#celebrex

s,
-Linda
Unread 03-05-2008, 01:04 PM

I have to agree with surferbabe. I knew I was prone to scar tissue and knew I produced a lot of it. After my last c-section my body basically "shut-down" after the surgery. I couldn't expel gas (TMI sorry). my abdomen became extended ripping open the staples in my abdomen. I had a lot of external bleeding so I'm sure there was a large amount of internal bleeding as well. They couldn't re-staple it(I was 4 days out ) so they put steri-strips on after I had a procedure to rid my body of the gas, and we hoped for the best! I was lucky I didn't get an infection but I had massive damage at my bikini line. I'm sure the damage inside was worse. I believe that is why I'm having so many problems now.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register