hard over incision line | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

hard over incision line hard over incision line

Unread 03-04-2008, 07:24 PM
hard over incision line

I am 1 week post op. I was looking at the incision tonight- more closely than I have, really...and I was poking around because today it seems like the incision line itself is sore-sharper twinges than usual.
It's a bikini line, about 6 inches. I know my doc had trouble- she said my pelvis is narrow but deep. She had trouble seeing everything, she did a lot of pushing and pulling on the bowels. I assume pretty sturdy retraction too, I am very bruised.
All the way along the top of the incision it feels really hard under the skin...I expected some, but not quite this soon after the surgery, and not this much.
Have others had this hardening, is it normal? Does it go away, ever?
There's no sign of infection, the area feels cool and normal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-04-2008, 07:39 PM
hard over incision line

My doctor warned me about this, calling it a "ridge." This, he described, is the fascia, and it's suppose to disappear after a couple of months.

Contact your physician if you have any concerns about it.
Unread 03-04-2008, 07:46 PM
hard over incision line

I am 6 months post op and I still have some hard spots at my incision line. At my 6 week checkup, my doc said that it was scar tissue & it might soften up with time. So far, it's still about the same, but it doesn't bother me at all. The only way I know it's hard is if I put pressure on my scar. I do have a check up next week and will ask her about it.
Hope this helps!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-04-2008, 07:46 PM
hard over incision line

Hi Ohio,

Tonks is right, it is the internal stitches in the fascia layer under the skin. Mine is the same way at three weeks post-op. It will probably smooth out over time, but possibly not for awhile.

At one week post-op mine was sore and tender, too. I always figure it is more tender after a few days, when the swelling starts to recede and the nerves start to regenerate. It sounds to me like you're healing normally. Warm, moist compresses may help with the bruising and any pulling you may have.

If it gets a lot worse, call your Dr right away.
Unread 03-04-2008, 08:01 PM
hard over incision line

I also have that hard ridge under my incision and had been wondering about it. More bothersome to me tho is this swollen & puffy area from my navel to the incision. I'm not quite four weeks out yet so I know it still has lots of healing to do, but I sure hope this belly lump eventually goes away!

I've gone into work a little bit & am feeling pressured to go in everyday - I'm just amazed at how exhausting it is. People don't understand - they think you look ok and should feel ok too. Its office work, but alot of responsibility and quite stressful - guess I will have to ignore everyone and just listen to my body to let me know when I need to leave & go rest.

SAH w/ adhesions 2/7/08
Unread 03-04-2008, 08:09 PM
hard over incision line

Thank you, ladies, it is as I thought!

Bittykit...why are you going in to work? Have you been released yet by your doc? You are not yet 4 weeks post op...if you are not ready to return, take this time for yourself.
After my foot surgery a couple of years ago I pushed to go back...at 5 weeks my doc said ok, as long as I was desk restricted and 6 hour days only. That lasted about 3 days. I should not have gone back, I have had trouble with that foot ever since, which the doc directly blames on my activity level.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register