One month post-op with huge belly ~ help! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

One month post-op with huge belly ~ help! One month post-op with huge belly ~ help!

Unread 03-05-2008, 10:57 AM
Help my belly is huge, wah!

I'm 32 years old, turning 33 very soon. I'm from Philadelphia. My surgery was a month ago. My belly is huge! I mean I was a size 9/10 before surgery, I can't even get in a size 13/14 pair of jeans without it hurting. I had total control over my ab muscles, now I can't even stick my stomach in. I had my post op appointment and my doctor told me that it was all me and it didn't have anything to do with the surgery. I'm scared that this is going to stay like this forever. I had the surgery because I had a 12 week fibroid, polyps and Adenomyosis, I was looking forward to a normal recovery. But, now with this huge belly I feel more self-conscious then ever before. I'm almost at the end of the 5th week and I wanted to know when I should start exercising and what kinds of ab exercises do you recommend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-05-2008, 12:28 PM
One month post-op with huge belly ~ help!

Did he give you any idea of when you could expect to get "back down to size".. I'm going to have to get maternity jeans if my stomach wont cooperate... Cant work in lounge pajamas.
Unread 03-05-2008, 12:35 PM

I am 12 weeks post op and still have a huge belly, even bigger than before surgery. You will find many women on this board are experiencing the same thing so I think it's totally normal and it will just take some time. There are at least 3 other threads about this that you should read. My doctor told me that it had nothing to do with the surgery and it was probably just gas and constipation. I don't think these doctors have a clue what we go through after surgery. My doc cleared me to work out after 4 weeks but I waited 6 weeks. I saw him again at 10 weeks and he said that I could do anything a normal person can do now. But I would check with your doctor since all of our surgeries are different and we recover at different speeds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-05-2008, 12:43 PM

Hi lsierra675,

I have lost 75 lbs about three years ago and the only thing that made PERFECT sense to me was that the calories in had to be less than the calories out. I found a website called "fitday.com" that worked for me. I could enter the foods and activities I did each day and it would break it down to carbs, proteins, fat etc. At the end of the day you'll have to decrease what your eating, change what your eating to more healtier choices and/or take up exercising.

How much walking have you done through your recovery period? I monitor my weight daily and take precautions when I see the scale tipping. When I had my TAH/LSO two weeks ago I had gone up 8 lbs in the hospital which was a large increase considering I didn't eat while there, but my system was shocked. Now that I am eating healthy and walking (did 6 kms today) my weight has dropped to 2 lbs below pre-op.

It really is that simple..we tend to always make weight loss more complicated than it really is. I don't mean to demean anyone, but because I'd gained the weight and took 18 months to loose the weight I feel I can say with fortitude its a lifestyle change that is required to change something worth having.

Good luck to you, and check out that website, I've referred it to many other ladies wanting to loose weight & track their nutritional goals and they've found it helpful also. There are journal pages too..and you can create your own specific foods that you make at home..

Have a GREAT day!
Unread 03-05-2008, 01:24 PM

I agree that diet and exercise are very important. But I just have a hard time believing that we all just got fat and developed poor eating habits right after our surgery. I really think there is something to the swelly belly epidemic and doctors are clueless about it. Before my surgery I had a fairly flat belly with a little hard basketball in my lower abdomin from fibroids. Now I just have a puffy belly everywhere and it happened within days of the surgery after hardly eating anything for 4 days. Hmmm.
Unread 03-05-2008, 01:44 PM

Hi all,

I will be 4 weeks out from my abdominal surgery this Friday. My belly is still huge. And to further the conversation about this being about the surgery I can offer you this. I have lost a total of 14 lbs now between my two surgeries in Nov and Feb. I am VERY underweight not even tipping the scales at 100 lbs and I'm 5'3. Certainly my huge belly has nothing to do with weight. Prior to the surgery I was very fit. I am very athletic and my abs were very strong. I didn't have an ounce of belly fat and I don't now either. The swelling is coming from some godforsaken place inside. I don't say this to brag only to give you all comfort that unless you see weight on the scale this is NOT coming from weight gain.

In any case my Dr also thinks the belly should not be swollen and it's not normal. He should spend a few minutes here reading what we all go through!

I have 2 1/2 weeks till I go out to work and I'm nervous even with all this weight loss that I won't be comfortable with my clothes on this belly.

Starbgirl
Unread 03-05-2008, 01:52 PM

Missy:
I agree with you... there is no way that this is all fat.. It must be water in the tissues from swelling... I not only didn't eat in the hosp., the IV was making me nauseous and I had severe diarhea from the Dulcolax I was prescribe.
Unread 03-05-2008, 01:54 PM

We had surgery on same date and my belly is also still swollen but not to the extent you say yours is. My doctor said this will simply go down in time. The nurses at the hosp see this all the time and said it's the trauma to your body - I trust a nurse's opinion any day of the week!!! Could you see another Dr to make sure something else isn't going on? Good luck! :-)
Unread 03-05-2008, 01:58 PM

My reply wasn't in any way suggesting everyone's experience was the same. I was responding to your comment "I'm scared that this is going to stay like this forever" and giving you my .02 cents (which is all it is, take it or leave it) about what you can do for yourself that everyone should be doing on a daily basis.

I also disagree that "I just have a hard time believing that we all just got fat and developed poor eating habits right after our surgery" Again, all of us are different and we have had and will continue to have varied experiences.

Often its the little things we can do to help ourselves that are our saving grace. As I said, this was my experience and I was sharing it with you what worked for me. Perhaps there is another cause, I don't honestly know as I am not a doctor and I am not suggesting treatment in any way, shape or form. Just alternatives to feeling badly.
Unread 03-05-2008, 02:13 PM

No offense taken. I think it's great that you lost all that weight and are doing all the right things to keep it off. Trust me, I thought I just gained weight too so I've been dieting for the last 6 weeks and working out hard. I even hired a personal trainer. I'm eating small portions and haven't eaten anything bad in weeks. Most other parts of me are getting tighter but it seems like the more I work out, the bigger my belly gets. So I don't know if I'm making it worse by working out? But of course I can't ask my doctor this because he doesn't think it has anything to do with the surgery.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register