Bacteria infection | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Bacteria infection Bacteria infection

Unread 03-06-2008, 01:14 AM
Bacteria infection

Hello Sisters,

I haven't posted in a while because I just haven't felt too well. I went yesterday for my 4 week post op check up TVH and found that I have a baterial infection in the vaginal area. My Dr put me on Flgyl. I told him that something had my PD really aggrevated. I just can't fight this fatique. I have also had some numbness and tingling in right right leg and two of my toes. My DR didn't seemed to concerned as well as he didn't even have my pathology report back and my surgery was on Feb 7th. I didn't leave there too happy.

I hope everyone is healing well and please know that I have been thinking about you and praying for you.

Thanks

Candy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-06-2008, 05:56 AM
Bacteria infection

Hi Candy,
I too have had an infection, Dr. calls it cellulitis or infection in the vaginal cuff. I had my laporoscopic hysterectomy on January 30 and have been hospitalized twice since then with fever, nausea, back, and stomach pain. I've been treated with cipro and flagyl the first go and levaquin and something else the second go, I'm five weeks post-op and still on these antibiotics for another five days, all together I have been on antibiotics for 24 out of 37 days. As of Monday I'm still running a low grade fever, Dr. says were still trying to catch it. I did get a second opinion, the Dr. agreed with my current Dr. So we'll see. I would suggest to you that If your not happy, get a second opinion. I have no idea why you would have numbness, I would definetly look into that!!
Good Luck to you!!
Stacy
Unread 03-06-2008, 07:09 AM
Bacteria infection

Stacy,

Thanks for responding. I have also finished the cipro and now on flagly. I haven't had a fever but my body temp has been very low. I do hate that you are having so much trouble and have been in and out of the hospital. I will pray that will be feeling better real soon.

Thanks,

Candy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-06-2008, 09:10 AM
Bacteria infection

i had bacterial vaginitis after also...i used metrogel and flagyl. it really helped a lot. hope you feel better soon
Unread 03-06-2008, 09:40 AM
Bacteria infection

Did either of you have back pain or were nauseated?
Unread 03-06-2008, 09:51 AM
Bacteria infection

I was hospitalized for five days due to having a hematoma right above my vaginal cuff that got infected. There were 3 types of bacteria present in the hematoma and with one of them being ecoli I too was put on flagyl through my IV and it made me as sick as a dog. I was miserable the whole time I was in the hospital, not to mention I wasn't able to eat anything. Now I've got a drainage bag to contend with and if that don't work then back to the operating room I go.
Unread 03-06-2008, 10:11 AM
Bacteria infection

Oh, I am so sorry. I don't have anything to complain about. I will keep you in my thoughs and prayers.

Candy
Unread 03-06-2008, 01:06 PM
Bacteria infection

If you will check with your pharmacy or the leaflet that came with your prescription, one of the side effects for Flagyl is nausea and vomiting. If it gets too bad they can either change your meds or give you phengan for the nausea. I am allergic to Flagyl and can not take it due to vomiting and hives. Check with your Dr if it's too bad.
Unread 03-06-2008, 02:09 PM
Bacteria infection

Thanks, but I have been very nauseated before I started taking Flagyl and I can't take phenergan because I have Parkinson's Disease and it makes my PD worse. Right now my back is just killing me and I have called my doctor and they haven't returned my phone call yet. Thanks for your advice!!!!
Unread 03-06-2008, 09:15 PM
Bacteria infection

I'm so sorry you ladies are having to deal with infections. I had vaginal cuff cellulitis also. Post op infections can be very serious and cause huge complications - mine did, so I'm glad your seeing your Dr's and following it through. I was on Gentamiacin (sp??) during my last hospitilization / surgery for my infections. My Dr said it was strong enough to cover it all. It seems to have worked (knock on wood) as I am 4 weeks out from my second surgery tomorrow and so far no fever.

Oh and I cannot take phenergan either but there is another one that is used for cancer patients - I wish I could remember the name. I think it starts with a T, but ask your Dr as it worked amazingly well for me.

Good luck and I hope you all get to feeling better soon,

Starbgirl

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register