lap supracervical hyst next week | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

lap supracervical hyst next week lap supracervical hyst next week

Unread 03-06-2008, 07:21 AM
lap supracervical hyst next week

Ladies,

I am getting nervous. I am having my laproscopic, supracervical hyst next week. I am leaving in my right ovary.

Anyone out there that has had a lap supracervical tell me what to expect? Painwise, driving, etc. I am only staying 1 night in the hospital. How long will my recovery take (typically).

I hate having to do an enema the night before :*( I don't relish it at all...

Thanks..
Jeni
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-06-2008, 07:48 AM

Hi,
I had the operation that you are going to have on 2-4-08. I did a ton of research on the web and this site concerning anything and everything concerning this operation. Painwise I did not have to really take much meds just a few days. Driving, ask the dr. Some say 1-2 weeks and some say when you are off the pain meds. I also only stayed in the hospital one night. Recovery they will tell you is 6 weeks. Before the operation I thought that I would return to work at 3 weeks. When 1 1/2 weeks went by I knew that it would take the 6 weeks. And then after 6 weeks of restrictions it could take up to 6 months to fully recover. The enema thing to be honest with you was terible. But the way I looked at it was doing it was better than the surgen nicking the bowel because it was full.

I went into my pre-op appt. with a list of questions, about 33 and we went over all of them. It really settled the mind.

Good Luck and you will find this forum very helpful.
Unread 03-06-2008, 07:54 AM

My doc seems to think I will be back at work in 2-3 weeks...hmmm...that worries me as I only have 5 weeks of STD I can take...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-06-2008, 08:35 AM

It might also depend on the type of work you do My job is physical and has lifting and bending and such. But I still at this point feel like I am getting better but if I had to start work at 3 weeks I would not be healing as well. We only get one chance to heal correct. That is what I keep telling myself when I can't or should not do something
Unread 03-06-2008, 09:01 AM

Yeah...no lifting here...just working at a workstation.
Unread 03-06-2008, 10:08 AM

i stayed in the hospital for 2 days after my lsh because of the gas pains and not being able to eat. after the first two days, i felt fine. didnt need strong pain meds, walked a few miles every day, drove the day i came home, etc. i had a very easy recovery...i went back into the office after a few days. everyone recovers at different rates and you never know how you will feel until after the surgery. you probably could return to work at 2-3 weeks if you have no complications. good luck
Unread 03-06-2008, 10:30 AM

I also am having LSH surgery so this information was helpful. I only have two weeks off of work, but have a desk job with not much lifting or bending, but will do some walking throughout the day. I am hoping my recovery is quick too.
Unread 03-06-2008, 10:36 AM

I had the same surgery as you -barely 40 hours ago. This is my post-op day 2. If I can offer you any comfort it is this: I have been moving around inside the house since I got back, resting up, napping, reading. My incision (below my belly button) is tiny - barely an inch long, then there are two tiny pin pricks on either side of my groin. The doc removed a 690gm uterus and giant fibroid through such a tiny hole - don't even ask how. I retained my ovaries and cervix. Overall the belly feels sore and tender, there is a constant need to run to the toilet to pee as my bladder can't seem to hold much. They will put on a catheter after the surgery and once that comes out, peeing is uncomfy for a while, but gets better. I also stayed one night in the hospital. I am taking my pain medication very seriously. Last night I ended up taking one of the prescription narcotics, because earlier during the day I thought 400mg motrin would do the trick instead of the 800mg (4x200mg pills) I was supposed to take. This morning I took no chances and am back to what they recommended. It is more discomfort than pain. But everyone is different. Hubby went back to work today. I am bright and alert but nap plenty in between cups of tea, tv and reading. Please try not worry - I was where you are now, just the other day. I was so afraid, so apprehensive. Soon it will be behind you. Please ask me any other questions you may have. My thoughts are with you. Big hug.
Unread 03-06-2008, 04:08 PM
You'll do just fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbud
Ladies,

I am getting nervous. I am having my laproscopic, supracervical hyst next week. I am leaving in my right ovary.

Anyone out there that has had a lap supracervical tell me what to expect? Painwise, driving, etc. I am only staying 1 night in the hospital. How long will my recovery take (typically).

I hate having to do an enema the night before :*( I don't relish it at all...

Thanks..
Jeni
I had my LSH on Feb. 25. I'm not taking any pain meds anymore, but have some discomfort if I bend forward and I still use my arms more than my abs to get up and down as well as into and out of bed. I tire easily and nap in the afternoon.
The first 4 or 5 days were hard. I was sick to my stomach. Taking Gas-X or Phasyme really helped cure the upset stomach and gas pains. Taking the pain meds as directed kept the pain level at a minimum.
Getting up and walking, even though it hurt, helped me feel better. It helps get rid of the gas, gets your bowel moving, prevents Deep Vein Thrombosis (blood clots), and makes you feel more human and less like an invalid.
I plan to be back at work (teaching middle school) 3 weeks after the sugery. Once I started feeling better, I really started feeling better. So will you.
Just remember every body is different. Healing takes time, but each day you heal a little more.

Shower as soon as you can. Walk a little every hour- even if it's just to look out a window for awhile. Be gentle with yourself. You will be fine.
Unread 03-06-2008, 05:09 PM

Hey, had my LSH on Feb 25th as well. And I'm happy to tell you it was nowhere near as bad as I'd feared.

Sorry for the lengthy post, but it's all good and encouraging!!

Everyone has a different experience, but I am amazed at how much easier a time I've had than girlfriends who did SAH. Even though my surgery was a bit more extensive than some have reported here. [I have 5 rather large (1-1/2 inch) incisions. They took out a 24-week size uterus with an enormous fibroid.]

Anyway, surgery lasted about 4-1/2 hours total. I woke up after only 1/2 hour in recovery and felt no pain at all. Was just really, really thirsty. Hung out munching on ice chips for a little bit and then was released from recovery. They had taken out the catheter as soon as I got into recovery, before the morphine wore off (which I highly recommend!!) and then an absolutely wonderful nurse got me up and walking immediately. She actually had me get off the wheelie cart and walk into my hospital room, then she had me do a lap around the corridor every so often.

As soon as I drank enough water, I was able to fill the "hat" they so nicely put over the toilet for me. And I was actually able to come home the same day even though I had "reservations" for a 3-day stay.

Hitting potholes on the (hour-long) car ride home from hospital was really the most painful part of the day.

First couple days post-op I took ibuprofen and Percoset religiously. Really only had pain getting up out of bed and sitting down. (I won't lie, that was wicked. But it's very brief agony.) Walking was cool. Even did stairs, albeit slo-o-o-wly.

The VERY best thing I did was go overboard with prep, taking all the good advice I read here! Had packed my hospital bag and set up my recovery room at home with just about everything everyone here suggested. Didn't need most of the precautions, but I felt absolutely prepared (and thus at least a little bit in control).

To date have not experienced any of the dread gas pains, digestive or urinary problems. I could almost be enjoying the rest of my time off if that darn pathology report would come in!!

So I truly wish you as good an experience as mine.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register