Bye-bye swelly-belly-shelf @ 12 weeks! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Bye-bye swelly-belly-shelf @ 12 weeks! Bye-bye swelly-belly-shelf @ 12 weeks!

Unread 03-06-2008, 03:39 PM
Bye-bye swelly-belly-shelf @ 12 weeks!

Remembering all the threads I read and joined pre-and-post-op about our swollen bellies, some of which we called "the shelf" -- and would they ever shrink, I don't recall seeing much talk about it lately.

So, I'm happy to report that the swelly belly I was sure would never go away has vanished significantly -- which I've just noticed today when I faced my mirror nakedly and sideways.

I attribute this mostly to not overdoing it and eating well, but I can't say it has anything to do -- for me -- with exercise, which I am about to start again (yoga)......

I hope this is good and encouraging news for any of you recent post-op sisters (or pre-op searchers).

I look forward to other shelving and/or swelling reports.

Hugs to all,

Siri
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-06-2008, 04:52 PM

Thanks for the encouraging words, Siri! I'm glad to read that someone is feeling good about their belly! My surgery was one week before yours and I'm afraid my swelly belly has not gone down at all yet. I did notice that the more active I am, the bigger the belly gets... so it will be interesting to hear how yours does after you've started excersizing again.

Please keep us posted! Glad to hear you're feeling good!
Unread 03-06-2008, 05:24 PM

Siri!
You made my whole night! Just the thought that the shelf MIGHT go is so encouraging!!!

Yipppeeeee!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-06-2008, 07:01 PM

Here's hoping all the swelly bellies are gone in 12 weeks...
Unread 03-07-2008, 07:27 AM

I'm at nine weeks and I do see slow progress already also... I have more swelling on one side though and asked my Doc about it. He said my inside disolveable stiches are very slipppery thread and he ties about 7 or so knots, and your white blood cells flood in there to dissolve them and attack this foreign body. He assures me as I heal, and they dissolve my pooch will all lay back down nicely. Keep moisturizing too--- it helps keep the skin stay elastic so it will retract too! My energy is returning too-- Spring is coming! Snowy cold days make it hard to walk and get motivated to move at all.
HUGS-
Unread 03-07-2008, 07:56 AM

Thank you so much for posting the encouraging news. I'm only 2 weeks out but the thought of this lovely swelly belly staying forever is scary.
I hadn't thought of calling it a shelf, but that makes total sense. I've been calling it the "cliff" ROFL
Unread 03-07-2008, 08:16 AM

I also am happy to read this..although my swelly belly has gone down significantly since the surgery two weeks ago, its the saggy shelf I detest..

I wonder why they just dont' cut some extra skin off? LOL
Unread 03-07-2008, 02:20 PM

Dans_Wife, I am with you!!!The least they could do is help us out with a mini tummy tuck!!!! Only fair!!!!
Unread 03-07-2008, 02:57 PM

You are all so hilarious. I LOVE YOU!!! It's raining here like crazy...and I have a writing project I have to turn in within the next 3 hours, and here I am checking up on the sister site. Me crazy? Yup.

In the spirit of honesty, I do have to share that I didn't mean I have a COMPLETELY flat belly. There's still some little-bit puffy something going on, but I promise you: the sideways dimension is gone!

I can almost imagine wearing a 2-piece suit this summer....whereas with my fibroids and sadly-looking-pregnant-but-not enormous belly of these past few years, I've been the tankini poster child (not)....

I'm so glad many of you are letting in the encouragement. Cause it's for real. And trust me, I'd never have thunk it was going to happen to me when I read those glowing optimistic reports of rapid belly flattening -- during my first 6 weeks, especially.

So, ladies and sisters all, let's keep each other posted about our shelves, puffs, sags, and all-around loveliness.

Hugging all bellies, big and small,

Siri
Unread 03-07-2008, 03:58 PM

Nice to hear that the shelf can actually disappear. I'm almost 10 weeks and even though I still have the "belly" I just feel so much lighter!! ;-) Looking forward to it shrinking and I love the idea about including a tummy tuck in the operation!! LOL

Nadine TAH/BSO , fibroids, severe endo, 3 cysts.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register