Others with Endometrial Hyperplasia? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Others with Endometrial Hyperplasia? Others with Endometrial Hyperplasia?

Unread 03-06-2008, 10:09 PM
Others with Endometrial Hyperplasia?

Hi!

I've noticed that a lot of people here have had or are having hysterectomies because of fibroids. Is there anyone else here who is having the procedure because they've been diagnosed with endometrial hyperplasia or endometrial cancer? I never had any pain, although I did have a lot of bleeding. Right now the surgery still feels in the unreal future, but I'm glad you guys are here when it seems to become real again. Thanks.

Ysmay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-07-2008, 04:47 AM

Dear Ysmay, I had my hyster in july 07, one of the reasons was hyperplasia, no cancer, gratefully. I am very happy I did it. I could not take the excessive bleeding anymore, I was extremely anemic. Good Luck and remember you will feel so much better. I will keep you in my prayers.sbd77
Unread 03-07-2008, 05:46 AM

I have something going on with the endo which they feel is heading towards hyperplasia and cancer. My surgery is Tuesday. Oh my God, it's so surreal to not even have to say "a week from..." or "next..." it's just....Tuesday. I am nervous and scared, but really really can not wait to get this behind me and start on the road to health and recovery!! Best wishes to you!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-07-2008, 11:25 AM

There are various grades of endometrial hyperplasia, and many of them can actually be reversed successfully, thus avoiding a drastic treatment such as surgery.

I had simple hyperplasia without aytpica, which is the lowest grade of hyperplasia. If that had been my only problem, I would not have had a hysterectomy, though -- they would have attempted to reverse it without surgery.

Did your doctor tell you which type of hyperplasia you have, or is cancer suspected?

to you.
Unread 03-07-2008, 01:01 PM

Hi MJ

Yes, I have the very bad complex hyperplasia with atypia - very atypia. They won't know about cancerous tissue in the uterus until they take it out, but the atypical cells are the kind that you don't want them to be. I'm very confident that this is what I have to do. I'm not particularly happy about it, since 46 is fairly young and I've been trying to recover from depression and finish a doctoral dissertation. But it's sure making me take stock of things.

I am comforted by an abdominal CT scan that shows no spread of anything, so if they do find cancer, it's confined. I'm not borrowing trouble and am counting on no cancer and a fast recovery ;-D . Thanks to everyone for the support!

Ysmay
Unread 03-07-2008, 02:38 PM

Hi Ysmay,
Hyperplasia was one of the two main reasons for my LAVH/BSO, the other one being a large mass in the middle of my left ovary. I think if I hadn't been 53 and already in menopause, I probably would have had just the one ovary removed and had a D&C for the hyperplasia. My ovaries had both already pretty much stopped working, though, as evidenced by my menopausal symptoms and my blood tests (FSH 60.2 and estradiol 24), and the hyperplasia seemed ominous since I hadn't had a period in almost a year. I had a very bad week waiting for my ca 125 test to come back, but my number was low, and then the surgery confirmed that everything was benign. I wasn't having heavy bleeding or pain like a lot of the ladies here, either, but I'd had some hyperplasia problems before, and my gyn told me that women who develop big tumors on one ovary are more likely to have problems with the other ovary in the future. I feel better now than I did before my surgery - I don't have such a feeling of pressure on my bladder any more, and I can use an estrogen patch, which has greatly relieved my menopausal symptoms and improved my quality of life.
I wish you the very best of luck, Ysmay! I hope your surgery goes smoothly, you are cancer-free, and you have a speedy recovery.

Take care,
Linda
LAVH/BSO on 10-22-07
Unread 03-08-2008, 11:41 AM

Hi Ysmay,
I had my TAH in November for both numerous and large fibroids and complex hyperplasia (but without atypia - this wasn't known until my pathology report). Between the hyperplasia and the fibroids my uterus was the size of a five month pregnancy - nothing fit and I always needed a bathroom nearby!
I am happy to say I'm glad I had the surgery - I just had 7 pairs of pants taken in (some over 2 inches)! And I will NOT miss the biopsies (Oow ow!) nor the wondering every 6 months if the cells had changed. The piece of mind & the overall improvement of my quality of life was so worth it. I too am only 46 and feared the surgical menopause I was facing (family history of cancer) but am so relieved to discover I'm not having adverse effects and at this point am not needing any HRT.

All the best for you - here's to a happy recovery!
Unread 03-12-2008, 06:27 PM

Hi Everyone!

I too have atypia hyperplasia. My surgery is schedule for April. I am wondering if anyone here was able to keep her cervix? I have had a D and C which removed the hyperplasia, tried hormones, and have decided to have the surgery. My guess is that my doctor would say that I could keep my cervix, but because I am not in menopause yet, that she does not really know the cause of the hyperplasia and that I could also get hyperplasia again. I am not really sure what the "bad" hyperplasia is and how exactly the cells can turn cancerous. I am so grateful for all of the information available here. Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Unread 03-16-2008, 07:16 AM

The pathology from my D&C showed complex hyperplasia without atypia. I have a strong family history of cancer - breast, uterine and colon - so my gyn recommended hyst. with removal of the ovaries. I'm not sure if they're keeping the cervix - the doctor did ask if I've ever had an abnormal pap (no), so hopefully I can keep it.
Unread 03-16-2008, 03:03 PM

I hope you can keep your cervix too. I also have the complex hyperplasia, but the report did show atypia. I hope your hysterectomy goes smoothly.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register