advice on what to eat for easier passing.... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

advice on what to eat for easier passing.... advice on what to eat for easier passing....

Unread 03-07-2008, 02:33 AM
advice on what to eat for easier passing....

Okay, I am day 8 and most things are progressing as one would expect. At least I seem to be having the same experiences as many of you. But tonight I had my third bm and it was another death defying experience with pain. And despite doubling my stool softener meds it was not soft at all and there is blood involved. It starts with excruciating pain that builds for a good five to ten minutes and then me in the bathroom screaming and crying and hyperventilating until I finally go. I know my doc said I was full when she was in there (despite doing the bowel prep with a couple of results in the night pre-op) so maybe I am passing that before the medicated softer stuff can get through but I can't keep doing this.

I had this procedure for chronic back pain due to tumor removal from my spine. I am on a lot of pain meds and I know they can affect bowel but I have been on them for years and haven't had bowel problems before. So for this to be my bowel experience is unacceptable. I'd rather almost die than have another one pretty much and of course that is not the answer!

So I am planning my attack since I always believe in being proactive with these things. If I was going to give up on my health, I would have done it years ago. I have fought too hard to get this far. I am going to increase the softeners again and try to eat foods that will help. Unfortunately other than prunes I don't know what has helped other people. I am not looking for something special to drink once a day type of thing but rather what can I add to my daily regimen or diet that might help.

Poor hubby nearly passed out watching me tonight and was ready to go to the store at midnight to get me whatever I told him would help. I told him I had to ask my sisters and in the morning I would take him up on his offer! So ladies, what is on his list?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-07-2008, 03:59 AM

Dear Hystergo:
First of all get some Gas-X as that is probably where part of the pain comes from... I too had some bloody painful stools at first. I wouldn't take too many more stool softeners (I use Phillips from Walgreens) but I did add prunes to my diet (Can you say "Old Lady") Ha. but they do help... Also I found I suffer greatly if I try to eat too much red meat... Steak just about killed me... So eat fiber, soft foods and stool softeners and you should be okay... You don't want to be straining at this point. Good luck .. it does get better.
Unread 03-07-2008, 04:05 AM

Fruits and salads work for me. My cup of coffee works also.

Hang in there, this is a super rough area to overcome. It does get better.

Doing anything with your diet to aid is probably the best idea and I'm positive your will get alot of suggestions.

Walking helps also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-07-2008, 04:45 AM

I think for me it was giving up my love affair with red meat. YUMMO!!! And I switched to stuff like chicken, fish, apples, applesauce, pears, pearjuice and veggies of all types (never was interested in in veggies before surgery).

I take stool softeners daily and I eat oatmeal at least ever other day.

It has worked wonders for me AND I lost 35 lbs in the process.
Unread 03-07-2008, 04:51 AM

HRHrey:
I need to try that... even though I am not having trouble with bathroom issues, I have gained 5 lbs... without the red meat... Guess I need to get back to the oatmeal and more walking.
Unread 03-07-2008, 05:20 AM

After my surgery, I had 1 BM in 4 days. My welcome home gift from my Mother-in-Law (a wonderful woman whom I love dearly) was a grocery bag full of goodies that she knew I would need.
There were bran muffins, cherries, grapes, and tiny tomatoes, and other similar things. There was also a small bag of ground flax seed. Locally, it can only be found at the health food store. It has a nutty taste and can be sprinkled on cereal, mixed into yogurt, or added to any meal.
The other stuff was good and kept me eating healthy, but the flax seed did exactly what she hoped it would. After my first yogurt with a teaspoon mixed in, I did not need the stool softeners again. I continued to use it sparingly for the first month while I was on pain meds.
Word of caution, It will work VERY WELL so don't think if a teaspoon if good, a tablespoon would be better. Until your body adjusts, it can be a powerful laxative.
Flax seed is also good for you.
Unread 03-07-2008, 05:51 AM

This is going to sound weird, but coffee is what initially got me going. I've also been eating fruit, bran cereral and muffins, oatmeal, and chicken. Drinking lots of water helps, too.
Unread 03-07-2008, 07:13 AM

Raisens on the oatmeal works (raisens = gas for me), so todays I put plain sunflower seeds on the oats. That will work also.
Water and lots of it. This topic is giving me alot more variety. Coffee doesn't sound weird, it works every time for me too.
Unread 03-07-2008, 07:54 AM

Hystergo,

Having a bm is soooo painful! I feel for you. I am at 4 weeks today and my digestion is still not right. It didn't take me this long after my last surgery. In any case my Dr suggested trying the metamucil wafers. I haven't tried yet though because I'm chicken. Has anyone else tried those or a like product??

In the meantime, I'm trying oatmeal, plum juice, raisins (dark chocolate covered of course for my heart) and I just started adding salad in again.

Good luck,

Starbgirl
Unread 03-07-2008, 08:04 AM

Hystergo,

I know what you're going through. My husband even asked if I needed an ambulance once! The first two weeks were the worst, but it improved alot after that. For me, the main thing that helped was walking, walking, walking. I also eat oatmeal daily, along with Dannon Avtivia yogurt. I'm still taking stool softeners daily, and the Gas X really does help.

I hope things improve for you very soon!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register