advice on what to eat for easier passing.... - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

advice on what to eat for easier passing.... advice on what to eat for easier passing....

Unread 03-07-2008, 08:23 AM
advice on what to eat for easier passing....

I know that any fruit that starts with a P is supposed to help. I have read other sisters' posts who drank pear juice (one even said you can get it in little bottles in the infant section of the store and she swore by it). Also, the prunes that are orange and lemon flavored aren't bad at all. Try sprinkling bran (you can find it in the bulk bin at the health food store) on everything you eat, as long as it is palatable. When I was desperate, I tried coffee too, but it didn't help me. My MIL recently had abdominal surgery too and she was miserable like you. She actually took 2 to 3 teaspoons of the phospho soda bowel prep stuff and it got her going again. This sounds funny but you may want to also try to make the bathroom kind of relaxing so that you are more relaxed. Think dim light, candles, soft music, a good book... Good luck and big s to you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-07-2008, 09:10 AM

Hi
Are you drinking at least 6 glasses of water a day? I also avoid caffeinated drinks, and eat dates--yummy and very helpful. And walking, the more walking the better. I think its also helpful to avoid high fat foods in general, and I find dairy (cheese)in particular.
Deb
Unread 03-07-2008, 09:49 AM

I gave in after suffering for days with no help from the stool softeners and tried Milk of Magnesia. Word of caution. Milk of Magnesia works by pulling water into the intestines - think diarrhea, but it sure felt good to be on the move again.
Now, to avoid having to drink that nasty stuff again I mix some All-Bran cereal with a mashed up banana for breakfast. The banana is sweet and masks the cardboard taste of the All-Bran. I also drink a cup of coffee in the morning and eat lots of fresh fruit and veggies. No more problems, but I really think it was the Milk of Magnesia that blasted out the old stuff that got my bowels moving again. If you use it, be prepared to get to the bathroom pretty quickly and drink lots of liquid because it will dehydrate you. No cramps or gas with it though so that part was okay.
Good luck and happy healing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-07-2008, 10:55 AM

Hi everyone,
this is my first post. Since I just went through this experience I wanted to add what helped me in case it will help anyone else. 9 days post op with no bowel movements, using Preparation H suppositories, hoping that would make things easier to pass, plus Milk of Magnesia and eating lots of fiber and drinking lots of water - finally called dr's office and his nurse said to get Dulcolax suppositories. I waited to use it until my family was gone to school and work the next day, not wanting to freak them out if the results were too painful. That was definitely best in my case. Not to frighten anyone but to prepare you for what it could be like and to encourage you that it was definiltey worth the effort! The first movement was so painful it really did feel like giving birth through that orifice but it was necessary to get cleared out. The process took a couple of hours (with breaks) with lots of tears and uncontrollable screaming so I am SO thankful that I waited until I was alone. Since then, I have been fine with lots of grains, fruit, veggeis and water along with 2 daily stool softeners and Milk of Magnesia at bed time. Oh, I also cut back on pain medications, too, as much as I comfortably can. I hope this helps someone; I know how scary and painful it can be but there is hope - you will be fine with a little prayer, help and time. Good luck and hugs to you.
Susan
Unread 03-07-2008, 11:26 AM

My doctor recommended Phillips Milk of Magnesia and it worked. At my one week check up, he said that I was still very bloated and I should take it again even though I was having BM.
Unread 03-07-2008, 12:47 PM
Ugh

Hi ladies,

I'm 2.5 weeks post-op and have not having any problems with BM until yesterday..OMG..I've been taking the stool softeners and they work wonders normally and I've been drinking my water & eating salads & fresh fruits.

I am just not sure what's happening now but I've tried to go off/on since yesterday and NADA...

I think I'll get some of that flax seed...hopefully something will work soon!!!
Unread 03-07-2008, 01:24 PM

My husband had knee replacement surgery and had the same problem due to the pain meds. He tried everything and the flax seed was the only thing that helped. Because of the long tern nature of his recovery, he wanted to avoid the drugs and chemicals.
Unread 03-07-2008, 03:01 PM

My doctor actually prescribed Miralax laxative to be used daily. He also said I should use a stool softener. My first BM was like passing a rock wrapped in sandpaper, the second was better, things have been smooth and easy (LOL couldn't resist) since. I'd say that if the diet changes don't help then call the doc and see what s/he says.
Unread 03-07-2008, 06:15 PM

Wow! Lots of good ideas, I knew you ladies would come through! I am at baseline meds and already walk and drink coffee, actually don't like meat and seafood for better or worse I suppose for this issue, ate oatmeal this morning figuring soft food might equal soft output. I found a few things I think I could do in your posts and will definitely give them a try. My doc actually mentioned MOM to hubby when I was in the hospital but I was afraid of cramping. Glad to hear that isn't the case so will start with that. I think if I 'clear out' and then start on the good diet tips I should be fine (I hope!). I see doc for post-op visit on Tuesday and if it isn't better by then she will be getting an earful! Thanks again for all the wonderful replies!
Unread 03-07-2008, 06:40 PM

I never had any problems having goinf to the bathroom at all. I just ate a large bowl of fiber one cereal every day and took Health Trinity a Probiotic. In addition, I took beano before every meal. I don't know if it will work for you but it did for me. I wish you the best of luck and hope you feel better soon.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register