Climara patch/Estradiol = Crazy!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Climara patch/Estradiol = Crazy!! Climara patch/Estradiol = Crazy!!

Unread 03-07-2008, 06:32 AM
Exclamation - Climara patch/Estradiol = Crazy!! Climara patch/Estradiol = Crazy!!

Since my TAH on October 5th, I have been feeling no different as far as mood and body (not counting the physical effects of surgical recovery). This is about mood. M.O.O.D.

Due to anesthesia I really can't recall if they gave me the patch the day after surgery or if it was when I left the hospital. Anyway, I have felt so good, mood is up feeling like myself,... now 5 big months past surgery and I've don't think I've felt this good since BEFORE I had my period (which was always from hemorrhage hell). My husband is impressed and most importantly I am impressed. I no longer come home from work exhausted, can't think, sooooooo tired, unrepairably ( I just made up that word!) exhausted. NOW... I am never exhausted, never, just never. I do get tired but not exhausted. I usually come home from work feeling fine and want to know, "what's next?" on the agenda for the evening. Its amazing. I have my life back, that is how it feels. Only took... 36 years! I feel really great. I am a new woman, wish it was done ten years ago, I really do.

LIFE IS GREAT GETS INTERRUPTED AND SCREWED!!
PROBLEM ONE:... two weeks ago, I fixed,... yes I fixed the whirlpool bath in our master bedroom bath. Crawled in the attic, carved away drywall, took the motor apart, replaced some electrical part and wooo-hooo fixed it!!!! So of course I had to take a bath! Wrong! Halfway into whirlpool heaven, I see my Climara patch floating on the water's surface. OMG! NOT COOL!
PROBLEM TOO:.. Surgery October 5th, and since sometime in January... which means all of January really and almost half of February.. begins the return of Migraine headaches. Very predictable... Scenario= New Climara patch on Sunday.. guaranteed headache on Friday night or Saturday. Taking more Imitrex migraine medication than in years and I'm miserable. OK, I'm slow, it takes me that long to realize... hey, this patch isn't working the entire 7 days.
So after a call to the GYN he switches me to "that little blue pill" my friends speak about, Estradiol 1 mg. Supposedly the same amount of meds to be delivered as the patch, however without the decrease in hormone the patch seems to create on that last day which became evident after three months... Decrease in hormone on that last day = Migraines!!!!!!

So, the switch was initially fine. No migraines, everything seemed ok..... NOT !!!!!!!!!!! After a few weeks, I change. My mood is in the trash can and I am not myself. It takes me a couple of weeks to realize, I'm a *****! Normally, I'm very mellow, go with the flow, easy going, upbeat, no problem kind of girl. Whoa! I start talking to my husband about how I'm irritable, angry, don't want to be around people, I think we should move (yes move!) we should take a vacation away from people, somewhere far away, I hate my job, I hate my clients, I hate my boss, I hate... I don't want to .... and so on. STOP the world! What the heck is going on!?!?!?!? Its obvious to me that this is NOT working. I never felt this way on my own before, (except when they tried to have me on Aygestin a hormone that has Progestin in it which was supposed to stop my heavy bleeding pre-TAH and turned me into a homocidal monster) (GYN said, "One of the side effects of Aygestin is sometimes depression" I said, "it not depression, its dangerous!" So, surgery was scheduled.)))))

OK... my husband the pharmacist says some people take 2 mg of Estradiol. I am taking 1 mg and I'm not a happy organ donor, if you catch my drift here. (for those of you who didn't, we Hyster-Sisters are now organ donors!, except nobody wanted those organs except the pathologists!)
I AM AFRAID OF ESTROGEN and the negative consequences it can produce, however at this moment I WANT MORE! The 1 mg is not doing what the Climara Patch was doing for the 6 out of 7 days. I called, my doc not in, other doc says NO, cannot take the Patch off on day 6 and put another one on! Yet my husband the pharmacist has customers who are prescribed this way. Doc say NO, cannot take more Estradiol and tells me some garbage about "it can take up to 3 months for the estrogen to get a good level in your body". NOT TRUE. I read the entire pharmaceutical package literature that comes with the bottle and it says that nowhere! NOWHERE! He is not the one losing all patience, with a zero frustration tolerance and personality change into the garbage can.

I'm going to make appointment now to see MY doc asap and get something changed. Meanwhile, ... I don't want to go to work, don't want to be around people, don't want to talk to anyone, want to stay home in my pjs and do nothing. What is wrong with this picture?!?!?! A blind man could see it!

Just venting and wondering if anyone else has a similar experience. I hope not for your sake and for your husband/partner's sake.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-07-2008, 07:27 AM
Climara patch/Estradiol = Crazy!!

They put me on the Estradiol pill 1mg right out of the hospital. Everything went great. I then did my research on Estratest. We had talked abut it before surgery and I said I would think about it. Well at the 2 week post op I had dr. switch to it. She started my on the half strengh pill and within 2 days I was having major, major symptoms. So I took two of the pill so it would make a full strengh one. Yea, it worked. I called the dr. and requested a script for the full strengh and then went and got it. Everything is going well and I noticed immediately when I took the extra pill so I knew that is what I needed to do. Your DH probably knows just as much if not more than the dr. when it comes to drugs. Give it a try if it does not work go back That way that variable is out of the way.

Good Luck
Unread 03-07-2008, 07:30 AM

Icre8art, (love the username!)

Vivelle Dot patch (very similar to Climara) is changed 2 times a week and might work better for you. Have you considered switching patches? If the transdermal method works for you, I would suggest you not go the oral route. Femring might be a good choice for you. You stick it in and leave it for 2-3 months. You don't have those frustrating hormone fluctuations.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-12-2008, 04:45 PM

Hi, I just had surgery 3 weeks ago, at the hospital they gave me climara and on the 5th day I had some night sweats and I noticed it wore off, my doctor gave me vivelle dot 0.1.mg and I have not had any symptoms at all, I change it 2 times a week. I actually feel great on this patch as far as mood already! Just wanted to share.
Unread 03-12-2008, 06:30 PM

Hi Icre8art I'm sorry you are having such problems. I would have to agree that if you were doing well on Climara except that it was wearing off early (drops in estrogen can trigger migraines), you might do better on the Vivelle-dot, which only has to stick for half as long and tends to do it better. I would not recommend switching to oral estrogen just because the patch is wearing off too soon, unless you want to switch for budgetary reasons (generic oral estradiol is cheap).

Meanwhile... you didn't mention anywhere which dose of Climara you were on. 1mg of oral estradiol is roughly equivalent to a .05mg/day patch.

I'm glad you are going back to see your own DR. Meanwhile I would suggest you not do whatever your DH recommends - he is not your physician, no matter how smart he is. And I'm sure he would not want to feel responsible if you had a problem because of something he advised you to do.

Perhaps your DR will have samples of the Vivelle-dot that you can try before investing in a whole month's prescription?

s,
-Linda
Unread 03-12-2008, 08:42 PM

Climara patch was 0.1 mg per day, (released)

The estradiol is what I take how. I couldn't wait and began to take an extra half of the estradiol pill, so instead of 1 mg, I am taking 1.5 milligrams.
I AM ALMOST BACK TO 'NORMAL'!!!!
What a relief. Within 24 hours I was feeling like myself again.

What a horrid experience. Switching from the patch to the pill, taking the same dose and NOT getting the same results. It was an emotional hell... surprisingly because I am a mellow, easy going girl and without enough estrogen I was a mental case! Racing thoughts, doubts, fears of stupid stuff and downright depressed. Felt like... pending doom. The doctor said to wait a few months, it takes a few months to get a level...NOT TRUE!! nothing in the research says that and if I waited a few months I"d be in a straight jacket, if you know what I mean. I couldn't tolerate it, the horrible feeling of feeling horrible.

Estradiol pill is cheap, easy to take. The patch was fine, but it didn't last the 7 days, only 6 and I refuse to get migraines on purpose. so, when I see my GYN, I will tell him what I am doing and he will be fine with it. Most women who don't do well on 1 mg, just up to the 2 mg. I didn't want to go to 2 mg if I could be fine with less. I feel so much better. Calm and content. This last month was an experience I don't wish on anyone.

Medications are like cooking, you have to experiment, try different things and not always go by the recipe if the results are not what you need. I'm so relieved, I never thought this would ever happen to me, its scary when it happens and now that its over with, I find it hard to understand why it happened... its not in my personality to be that way, but without estrogen... anything is possible.

Thanks girls,
Ilene
Unread 03-12-2008, 09:01 PM

(((Ilene))), you were NOT on the same dose, which accounts for the symptoms. As I said in my previous reply, 1mg of oral estradiol is roughly equivalent to the .05mg/day patch (a factor of 20 that accounts for the difference between transdermal delivery and losing 95% of the estradiol in the oral med when it passes through your liver, which is why women on oral HRTs sometimes have liver function problems). The equivalent oral dose to your 0.1mg/day patch would be 2mg/day, best taken 1mg am/1mg pm if you are subject to headaches from fluctuations.

You may do fine on 1.5mg per day oral, but you may find you need the 2mg, and there's nothing wrong with that. Many women here are on 2mg/day, just as many are on 0.1mg/day patches, myself included. Surgical menopause is more difficult than natural menopause and women going through it often need higher doses than women in natural menopause.

Glad you are doing better.

s,
-Linda
Unread 03-13-2008, 06:00 AM

Linda, I didn't know that about the pills verses patch. So thank you. I started on climara cause the hospital did not have vivelle dot and I had some night sweats on the 5th day and hot flashes. I was worried about taking the 0.1mg, but my doctor said I need that to protect my bones and need it because I had surgical menopause. That information was helpful.
llene, I am glad your doing much better. Lisa
Unread 07-22-2008, 07:59 PM

FYI: I had gone back to my GYN and he very willingly prescribed climara estradiol patch to be replace every SIX days, without any hesitation.

The other doctor in his office was a pain.

Works quite well now.
Just have to get those extra pounds off, been riding my bike almost everyday.
Unread 07-22-2008, 09:56 PM

Patches can also be added to. You can add a piece of another patch. They are really great for that reason. Pills go through the liver.

I have done well on the patch. Sometimes I add a little bit of another patch next to my .05 Climera patch. Doctor knows, it is all fine. You can really find the right amount that way, without adding a huge amount. It is great. Also, if that is too much, you take the extra off. Works well for me. I needed extra and now, I just use the regular .05. If I start a migraine, I might add a bit.

A lot of the time you can take less estrogen if you use the patch. They are great for many reasons.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register