General Post-op Questions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

General Post-op Questions General Post-op Questions

Unread 07-23-2001, 03:22 PM
General Post-op Questions

Hi..Well, I'm 1 week post-op.
I've had a roller coaster week. Thousands of questions and really no place to find answers but here!
DD put me on Premarin...I would rather use Cenestin, because of the animal vs. plant thing. Does it work the same?

How long does it take for the energy to come back?
I have a very physical job and will be going back in 6 weeks...
am I fooling myself?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...this was an emergency so I had no time to research anything...
and am lost
Love the site
Crystal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-27-2001, 04:51 PM

One thing I have learned from reading this site for several weeks is the importance of becoming well informed so that you can be more proactive with your doctor. Ask for a switch of estrogen, and back up your request with reasons. You might consider asking for a patch like Vivelle.Dot -- also look over the posts in Hormone Jungle.

While it is fun and very supportive to just read through these posts, you can also use the keyword search feature -- that way, you can get focused responses on your specific questions.

How long does it take for energy to come back? Hystersisters would fit into a very broad bell-shaped curve on that one -- for some it takes a couple of weeks, for others it takes several months. I found that walking from day 1 helped reduce fatigue, but I really didn't get my normal "energy" (pep, spunk, drive) until about 10 weekspost-op when I had acupuncture -- boy did that help restore my energy (I wish I had had it earlier).
Unread 07-27-2001, 09:07 PM

Hi Crystal,

I strongly suggest you post on the Hormone Jungle board about the Cenestin issue. There are some sisters there who know a lot!

About returning to work, the average time for going back to work is about 6 weeks, but if you have a very physical job, I would strongly consider waiting at least 8 weeks or more. Can you tell me more about what your job entails? I'm going by my experience on this board for the past year.

Also, have you discussed the nature of your job with your Dr.? What does he say about it?

I did not get my energy back until 3 or 4 months post-op. It is important to note that a gyn says that you aren't TOTALLY healed from this major surgery until at least 6 months to a year.

You only have ONE chance to heal properly from this surgery, and this is it!

My very best to you...

Linda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-27-2001, 09:18 PM
back to work worries

Linda,
After almost 2 weeks post-op and my first visit to my
I've decided to go the 6-8, and probably 8 weeks back to work thing.
My job entails lifting totes of product into my truck, then delivering it to convenience stores...using a hand-truck to take product into the store, plus the 1 hour each way per day drive.

Glad for the site
s

Crystal

PS Am switching to Cenestin next week...
Unread 07-27-2001, 10:02 PM

Crystal,

With such a demanding job, you'll never regret taking the time you need so that you'll be truly ready to go back, with enough healing behind you! As you approach your time to return, you will be able to tell better whether you're ready or not. Keep resting with feet UP when you can.

Good luck with the Cenestin. I'm taking it, too. It seems that my remaining ovary has needed a little help lately, and it seems to be working OK so far. I also like the "plant source" idea. Let us know how it goes.

Just one more thing...awhile ago, some sisters started using "DD" to mean "doctor". On this site, DD means "dear daughter". To help avoid confusion, please use MD or Dr. to mean "doctor" Many thanks!

This site was a life-saver to me, too!

My very best to you...

Linda

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register