Bowel problems 7 months post surgery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Bowel problems 7 months post surgery Bowel problems 7 months post surgery

Unread 03-07-2008, 07:28 PM
Bowel problems 7 months post surgery

[font=Comic Sans MS]I had an abdominal hysterectomy on June 4th, 07. I am still having problems with my bowel movements. I get very constipated and sometimes end up bleeding and very sore. It hurts me to push becasue I have to so hard, I mean I need leverage to get things going. If anyone has any information I would love to hear it. Thanks so much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-08-2008, 06:51 AM

If my math is correct, you are 9 months post surgery. Not that that changes anything. I posted about being 6 months post surgery and having similar issues but no one has yet responded. I wish I had learned about this issue pre-op, but I don't know that it would have changed my mind about the surgery. But it would have been nice to have been able to throw these questions and concerns at my doc to see what he would have said about it.

Do you mind telling me what you mean by "I need leverage to get things going?"

I wish you well.
Unread 03-09-2008, 03:38 PM

I am sorry that I got the months wrong. I was a little nervous about writing. I haven't told anyone about this and i guess I was a little worried. What I mean is about leverage is that I have to push so hard that I have to hold on to something stable to be able to do it. thanks for responding. i would greatly appreciate it if you hear anything else if you would let me know. I hoep your gets batter soon as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-10-2008, 12:38 PM

i have the same issues with bowel problems.i feel like i have been chronically constipated for much over a year now. i do get the urge to go and i do go allmost every day BUT it seems like i am trying to pass stones and just feels stuck in there. i have been experimenting with changes to my diet, more fruit ,veggies, fibre, water etc but it just seems like my insides dryed up along with my vagina.i am trying to use flaxseeds now to help. it seems like the slightest mistake i make i have so much pain on my right side that it keeps me awake all night and i have to take over the counter pain relievers.i was supposed to go for a colonoscopy months ago but am still waiting for the app. it takes about 10 minutes before i can go and still i have to grab on to something and rock back and forth quite forcefully to get things to happen.hope we can find answers soon,,take care
Unread 03-11-2008, 05:07 PM

WOW, that sounds exactly like me. I hope we can figure something out soon. I get so scared sometimes. Thanks for writing.
Unread 03-11-2008, 06:14 PM

Ladies, try Movicol (it may be called something different in US) its a sachet packed sodium based drink that I take once a day (can be taken up to 8 times a day according to instructions although, from my experience, I wouldn't recommend it)
Manufacturer is "Norgine Limited" in UK

This I follow with "Metamucil" which is 100% natural psyllium fibre drink. (You must drink this with plenty of water to follow)

These product helped me to solve all my constipation problems after surgery.

1 day home from op. and I couldn't go at all and the pain of that was awful.

So please see your DR or pharmecist( they really can help a lot) and try some different remedies. Life is so much better with easy BMs

Molly
Unread 03-11-2008, 06:54 PM

i dont know what that would be called here. ive never heard of it but i will certainly be checking it out.i do drink a glass of metamucil every day and eat more fruit and veggies and i am adding ground flaxseeds into my cereal now. it wasnt really this bad after the surgery. then it was more about not jarring my incision but it was probably about 2 or 3 months after that i realized i had a problem and it isnt getting any better. right now my main hope is to get my stool to be softer so i can just not have to strain so hard.stool softeners are over kill and im being carefull with laxatives. i would worry about having to be dependant on them for the rest of my life so i am trying to fix it with diet changes,easier said that done. i kinda feel like my body has dryed out from the inside,if that makes any sense, take care
Unread 03-11-2008, 07:20 PM

I posted a similar thread titled bowel problems 6 months post surgery. I great some really good feedback there. You might want to go check it out.
Best of success. Take care.
Unread 03-12-2008, 04:37 AM

Watch how much fiber you are adding. It can absorb a lot of liquid and add to the constipation. Make sure you are drinking plenty of fluids-water preferably.
I have had bowel issues since surgery and have been allowed only a soft diet- mostly carbs. Yesterday I was given the go-ahead to start working "real" food back into my diet slowly, but to go easy on fiber. The doc said she's had patients that jump on fiber to get things going, only to end up with a "fiber ball" and constipation.
I would definately contact your doctor about it, but in the mean time taking a stool softener is better than straining that much. Stool softeners aren't addicting, they are very safe. They will give you time to rework your diet.
Unread 03-12-2008, 03:00 PM

Thanks so much for all the information. I have been taking stool softeners for over a year and they are not helping either, I have even resorted to taking laxatives once in a while, which make me feel so yucky and I still have this huge thing to pass. I think my body does not try to go except when it is so full there is nothing else to do. then I am dying to get it out!! I would kill to be able to have one normal BM everyday or every other instead of one huge one once a week, ya know? Anyway, thanks again.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register