Your hospital room - Page 4 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Your hospital room Your hospital room

Unread 03-09-2008, 11:17 AM
Your hospital room

I was in the women's wing, which has all private rooms. Outside of the nasty food, I felt like was in a hotel. I actually opted to stay an extra day, the care and environment was so wonderful. Once I could eat, my family brought me food, so that part was no big deal. The room was spotless, flat screen tv, wireless internet, sofa with a pull out bed and outstanding care. It was so quiet I actually slept!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-09-2008, 12:08 PM
Your hospital room

I had hoped for a semi-private (2 beds) but there weren't any available, so stayed in a ward (4 roommates) but at least I had the window side. It was kinda annoying the first day but by the 2nd day, seeing the other gals was incentive to get up and start going. A lady across from me didn't move for 3 days (not even to go to the bathroom - she kept her catheter) and the nurses kept pushing her to get up. I was discharged on Friday and she still hadn't moved - chances are she is still there and laying in bed. I know everyone is different, but seeing her lay there and complain about gas pains, cramping and everthing else motivated me to get going.

I found it strange that my other roommate was a 15 year old who had an etopic pregnancy and her fallopian tube ruptured. She had the tube (and needless to say, the fetus) removed. I thought it strange that they paired a pregnant 'little girl' with women who had our procedures.
Unread 03-09-2008, 04:19 PM
Your hospital room

Hey Arly3... we're in the same province!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-09-2008, 05:24 PM
Your hospital room

I requested my own room and the hospital said they would accomodate if possible. When I arrived for surgery they said there were no private rooms available but they knew I had asked for one. I had a room mate for the first day and part of the second when she was able to go home. Her surgery was a couple of days before mine. I had the room to myself until the morning I was going home. All in all it worked out well.

Icehawk
Unread 03-12-2008, 08:42 PM
Your hospital room

My hospital stay was the worst part. Surgery went Ok, but I was put in a very small room, with a roommate. Not even enough room for family members to sit down, they had to stand at the foot of my bed for visits. Serious remodeling was being done on the floor, with drilling, hammering, etc. most of the day, and doors slamming day and night. Nurses had to move my tray and the curtain between the beds every time they needed to assist roommate. She had treatments during the night, so lights were turned on and lots of people in and out during the night as well as day time. Nurses were very understanding and sympathetic, but I was told there were no other rooms available.
Unread 03-12-2008, 09:12 PM
Your hospital room

Hey I can sympathise withyou mmccul. I was meant to have private room too (after all I've paid top insurance for nearly 30 years with no other claims) but it was not to be.
I shared 1st day with lovely lady who kindly let me sleep when I needed to. Then when she went, I shared with another lady (Lovely elderly lady who had had a nasty fall and was in a bad way.) She was great, but her family was like visiting 10 at a time, and filing past my bed looking at me.
My bed was nearest the entrance to room. Her visitors came in a steady stream of multiple people starting at 8am and finishing at 8.30pm.
Then every time I asked for the curtain to be pulled, 5 minutes later a nurse would come and open it up again, exposing me to all these strangers once more. When you have catheters and pain and can't moove yourself easily, thats the last thing you want. They were also very loud, With lots of children running around the beds playing at boxing with her' GET WELL SOON' baloons. OGM!!
Don't get me wrong, I think my elderly roommate was so lucky to have such a large and supportive family around her. But It can be a bit harsh sometimes when you have to share.

I was so glad to go home to peace & quiet.
Unread 03-12-2008, 10:48 PM
Your hospital room

The wing I was in had all private rooms. Ther were only two of us in that wingo the night I was there. The lady across the hall was older and hard of hearing. She was on the phone almost all night and when she wasnt't on the phone, she was chatting (or should I say shouting) with the nurse. LOL!

Note to self...if I ever have to have surgery again, earplugs are a must.
Unread 03-13-2008, 06:18 AM
Hospital Room

I was originally in the ICU after my TAH but then went back to a private postpartum room and since it was in the hospital that I work at everyone was wonderful. I knew just about everyone and had plenty of people to talk to it really was wonderful.
Unread 03-13-2008, 08:06 AM
Your hospital room

Hi Ladies! My story may be a little long...
First, I felt fine all my life. I was 39, went in for a yearly pap and it came back with abnormalities. I go back, get another, same thing. Get a biopsy, and the day after my 40th birthday, I get a call..have to have a leep. Get the leep, pathology comes back, I have stage 3 cancer in cervix and uteris. OK, now i need a hysterectomy. So, I have the surgery (LAVH, never any endo, pain, nothing, always a normal period). My dr tells me the hospital I am in, is a teaching hospital, and tells me the chief resident will be doing my surgery, and there may be alot of people as they are all "watching". Asks if its ok. I said as long as I am out, who cares! So, I go in the OR, and there are more people in there than a Billy Joel concert! I counted 12 before I was out! I was in surgery for 5 hours. Went in at 2:30. After post op- in my room at 10pm. My dr came in, told me it was a picture perfect surgery, could not have gone better! GREAT! I am so out of it, the stress from all this just makes me want to sleep, with of corse the aid of morphine, as I haven't had a good nights sleep since July. ONE HOUR LATER...my 84 year old roomate starts yelling and screaming that shes going home. The nurse comes in and apologizes, I ask if the lady is ok, she says she is a handful. EVERY HOUR, yelling and screaming, calling her relatives at 3 and 4 am, get me the **** out of here...swearing and what not. She says to me at 4:30 am, I am sorry, did I wake you? ARE YOU KIDDING? Yes, you did, every hour. You know I am not here on vacation? The nurse comes in at 5:30 to take blood. I can't stand it! She said I am going to take out your catheter. OK. OUCH!!!! She tells me I have to get up later and walk to the bathroom at least. Can I get up now? Sure she says. Get up, put on the pjs I brought, and walked the halls. The lady in my room had a fit!!! Why can she bring pjs? Why cant I walk? She absolutely NEVER shut up. She wanted the curtain open so we could talk. All I wanted to do was be well enough to go home. This isn't even the half of it! It NEVER STOPPED!!! I was respectful, as this was the way I was raised, but I really wanted to put a big strip of duct tape over her mouth! And I never had to call a nurse, she called one every 10 minutes, so they were in the room anyway!
Well, thats half of my hospital nightmare. This was the first time I had ever had to stay in a hospital overnight.
Lee-Anne
Unread 03-13-2008, 08:15 AM
Your hospital room

Lee-Anne, what a nightmare! You could really turn that into a good story for a magazine! I hope your home recovery has been a lot better than your hospital stay! Today is my "clearance" dr. appt. I'm praying he will say all is well! Have a great day!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register