Your hospital room - Page 6 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Your hospital room Your hospital room

Unread 03-18-2008, 08:45 AM
Your hospital room

I feel really badly for anyone who had an unpleasant experience, especially Lee Ann, what a nightmare. Not that the hospital is ever a pleasant experience, but I could not have been more impressed by my experience (my first ever hospital stay!). I had a private room in the Center for Newborns and Women, the nurses said all the rooms on this floor are private. There was a large chair that could become a bed for my husband (except he had to go home to take care of our pets!). There was a "room service" menu that was available from 7:00 AM til 8:00 PM and the food wasn't bad. The nurses and other staff were all fabulous. I feel very lucky. I was only there overnight, but they made it a very positive experience for me.

Of course, now I am spoiled and would not want to go anywhere else if I ever have to have surgery again....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-18-2008, 06:24 PM
Your hospital room

Hi Irish Bridie, I have wanted to write to you but I am really having problems getting round the site. I was just surfing it tonight and found this thread of yours, so I am replying just to make the contact. I am not sure how to contact any of the sisters as I cannot remember all the names. I sort of think it might be like email, but I guess that is not right. I have emailed [email protected] today asking them to give me simple instructions. I really wanted to respond to your message to me before about your Irish experience and UK. If you can help this simple Irish person, I would be very grateful.
Unread 03-18-2008, 07:00 PM
Your hospital room

I had my own room. I went to a new hospital that opened last summer. It was really nice like hotel room but there were nurses who brought me "legal drugs". I even had 2 nurses who often came in right after each other it was nicer than any other hospital I've been in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-18-2008, 07:18 PM
Your hospital room

Attention: Irish Blue Eyes

This is a quick message to the sister named 'Irish Blue Eyes.'

Have you figured out how to send a private message? Do you need more assistance? Please let me know. You're welcome to send a little message through this thread again if you need to.

Happy to help a hystersister!!

Sincerely, Irish Bridie
Unread 03-18-2008, 07:31 PM
Your hospital room

I had a room mate two out of the four nights I spent in the hospital. Since I was in a Navy Hospital turns out she was the Command Master Chief in legal on our local base. I thought she was going to be all stuffy. But she was hillarious. She was a talker.....and late at night after the nurses came in for their regular vitals check....I would hear....."psst....are you awake over there?" She introduced herself, I did the same. She talked all the freakin' time. She was funny but I was definitely happy when she went home. Oh, the other thing.....LOL....I was in the room closest to the bathroom and she wanted to go take a shower....she did have a robe or anything....so she streaked across the room. Then I got depressed 'cause she was only 15 days younger than me and she had the body of a 22 year old (couldn't help but look). I guess that is the difference between a Master Chief in the USN and the wife of a regular ol' Cheif. LOL
Unread 03-18-2008, 07:39 PM
Your hospital room

Hi Hystersisters!

Thank you again for all of your replies! Wow...many of you replied and I appreciate that you wrote to share your experiences with all of us.

I'm sorry to hear that some of you had inadequate care at your hospital.

Best wishes to you all as you heal from your surgeries..............

Take care. Spring and summer are on the way!!!

Peace and hugs, Irish Bridie
Unread 03-18-2008, 07:51 PM
Your hospital room

I am also in a hospital with a "Women's Center" so all of the rooms here are private with a comfy reclining chair for DH to sleep on. I was kind of miserable last night and earlier today, so I'm actually glad I didn't have to share a room with someone else.
Unread 03-18-2008, 11:31 PM
Your hospital room

Lee-Anne, that IS a nightmare! I've had two surgeries, this one (TAH) and a reconstruction of my ACL in my left knee. The knee hurt more. LOTS more. I had a roommate for the knee surgery who had every reason to behave as your unruly roommate did. She was younger, though. She was in a car accident a while back and had multiple surgeries on her injured leg. When she was my roommate she was in to get her uninjured leg shortened to match her bad leg... I was only 20 years old then and didn't entirely appreciate what she was going through. She was a model roommate. I hardly knew she was there. When the nurses foolishly provided me with a wheelchair because I asked for one, I asked roomie if I could get her something. Perhaps a coke from the machine, or a chocolate bar. She didn't want anything. She got all the flowers I was given while in there and I learned later that she went home the day after I did. One tough cookie! She is likely posting things about the impossible roomie she had when she had her surgery!

I hear ya! and take care...
Unread 03-19-2008, 11:47 AM
Your hospital room

Unfortunately, I had a semi-private room for my hysterectomy. This was my first time at this particular hospital, I had always had my surgeries at the hospital where my FIL was a physician. I use to think he said this other hospital was awful simply because it wasn't "his hospital" and therefore it had to stink. Turns out, it really was as awful as he always said it was! I don't think they had updated the rooms since the hospital was built in the 1960s. The bathroom was literally the size of a broom closet without even a real door -- a pleated partition that you pulled across and couldn't lock or close. I'm a petite person, but this bathroom couldn't even accomodate myself and the IV pole without it being a tight squeeze. If you wanted a shower, you had to walk down the hall to a unisex shower also the size of a broom closet. Needless to say, I didn't even bother -- just used a washcloth and the basin in my room to wash up. What a come down from the other hospital, which was private and more like a hotel than a hospital. I think the private in-room shower and bathroom at that hospital was bigger than my entire room at this hospital.

I was lucky enough to have the room to myself the first night and as someone else already mentioned, SO thankful to have gotten the window side. The second day, they brought in a lady who NEEDED to be in a private room with her own nurses. She had so much going on with her. I guess they put her in there because she had also had a hysterectomy, but she wasn't the usual hysterectomy patient. This woman had had multiple organ transplants in the last year, diabetes, blindness in one eye/limited vision in the other, a horrible cold, a horrible hacking cough, asthma, respiratory problems -- plus they had also removed some portion of her GI tract with the TAH/BSO. This woman needed round-the-clock care, which meant that the other patients (such as myself) went without care. The nurses were so busy with her, they didn't have time to do even the basic things like change the IV bags (the empty bag alarm was going off on mine for 45 minutes before they finally realized that they had never come back to change it after I told them about it) or to bring any pain medicine (I went an entire shift without anything for the pain even though I had asked several times -- finally got it when the new nurse came on and realized I hadn't had any pain meds in the last 12 hours).

I can't really blame the poor woman, it's not her fault that she required ALL of the nursing care. At first I was angry at the nurses, but then I realized they were victims of the circumstances too. This woman required so much care that it limited their time with the other patients assigned to them. I guess the bottom line is that I blame the woman's doctor. He knew she was not an ordinary patient and he should have made sure she was placed somewhere where the nurse to patient ratio was less and where she could have gotten a higher level of care. He jeopardized the health of all the other patients on that surgical floor (men and women) by monopolizing all of the nursing care for that one patient.

If I never go back to that hospital, it will be too soon!
Unread 03-19-2008, 01:40 PM
Your hospital room

Sorry for you bad experience. It is true that the doctor is the one that should have had her in the acute care unit, or had them have an extra nurse on duty.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register