Your hospital room - Page 7 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Your hospital room Your hospital room

Unread 03-19-2008, 04:19 PM
Your hospital room

Hi I also live north of Boston.I am near Chelmsford.My room was also private with room service. I had a TVH and bladder surgery also Bladder sling. How are you feeling? My Dr is trying to get my hormones under control because I also was not able to keep ovaries. I am starting week 5 and starting to feel more like myself. Let me know how you are feeling.Take care
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-19-2008, 07:14 PM
Your hospital room

About a month previous to my TAH/BSO, I had a series of IV iron infusions to treat anemia. During one of the infusions, I asked my nurse about the possibility of a private room. She said "I know we have some, but I believe you'll have to pay the additional charge yourself". I was fine with that. She went and enquired about it, and came back to tell me that a private room would be an extra $7.00 per night! Yup, and extra $14.00 for my two-night stay!! I said "sign me up!" Lol. She said I had to tell admissions that I wanted a private room.

I called the hospital the next day, and was told there were only four private rooms for the floor I would be on, and they won't reserve private rooms, they're first-come, first-served. But they noted my chart with my request. She also told me I was the first scheduled surgery for the day, so I stood a pretty good chance of getting my private room.

I did get it, and was happy. I've been hospitalized many times before, and had to share a room. I've had some really lovely roommates, but some really horrific ones, too. I was glad to not have to worry about it.
Unread 03-19-2008, 07:33 PM
Your hospital room

I want a prize!

I was in a ward with FIVE other women for 5 of the 7 days I was in the hospital. When one left, another soon filled her bed. VERY noisy!

Privacy... what privacy?!

Even though I have private health insurance, and am therefore "entitled" to a private room, there wasn't one available (there are only 2 on the Gynae ward) so I had to take what I could get.

Most hospitals in Ireland are very (VERY) different from hospitals in the US and the system is obviously quite different.

I received excellent care, but....

It's too late at night here (Ireland - and I should have been in bed ages ago...) ) to write details, so I'll elaborate tomorrow if I can get back.

It was a nightmare.

Irish Bridie and Irish Blue Eyes, are you Irish ex-pats or "just" Irish-American? I'm a blow-in (Yank), here since 2000.

Hope everyone is healing well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-19-2008, 07:41 PM
Full Irish!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Vee, I am an Irish lady living in the UK since 1988. You can take the girl out of Ireland---but you can not take Ireland out of the girl. Irish Bridie is US but contacted me because of my user name. I never fail to be impressed by how the Irish have this unspoken connection.
What part of Ireland are you in? If that is ok to ask.
It is 1.40am here in Uk and it is late here to!!!
I am a bit of a night owl.
Hope you keep in touch.
Kiss the ground for me.
Sheila
Unread 03-19-2008, 08:33 PM
Your hospital room

I had my own room too. I was in on Monday morning for my surgery and was out by noon on Wednesday. It was nice to have full control over the remote control....
Unread 03-19-2008, 10:40 PM
Your hospital room

Hi Hystersisters!

This is Irish Bridie writing again in this thread that I began............

Vee 1950 - Please tell us more about your stay in the hospital there. We will be interested to hear about it. I realize the hospitals there are different than the American ones. What part of Ireland are you living in….Galway or Dublin area……if you don’t mind us asking?

You asked if I am an Irish native or Irish-American......I am an Irish-American-Yankee! My grandma sailed the Atlantic in the early 1900's to find a new life in America. When I was in my 20's, I journeyed to Ireland by myself to find where she lived, met many distant cousins and lived there. I stayed in the house where she was born and learned to cook bread in the fireplace. I saw the stone walls she helped to build when she was a child, and my cousins took me to walk on the path through the green fields that she walked on as a child to go to school. Her loving spirit was everywhere. That's where my life began....I have Irish blood running through every vein in my body....and.....very proud to be Irish !!!

Irish Blue Eyes is absolutely correct..........'You can take the girl out of Ireland but you can't take Ireland out of the girl!' Also.....yes.....the Irish have an unspoken connection. Ireland is............home.

Vee 1950.......as Irish Blue Eyes wrote.........kiss the ground for me too. There is nowhere on this earth like Ireland...................

I think I'll go have a cup of tea now!

Take care. Best wishes. Slainte!

Peace and hugs, Irish Bridie
Unread 03-20-2008, 07:57 AM
Your hospital room

Hi irish gals, I am a transplanted South African now Yankee ...and our hospitals are similiar to you Irish gals. The times I had my D&C, laparoscapies and 2 babies I was in a ward everytime with about 7 other ladies. Talk about no privacy, you come to love that curtain you can draw close. Even going to see the GP it's all undressed, gown the whole too doo for you sore throat!

My medical care here in the US has been like having private staff at a private hotel!!
Unread 03-21-2008, 08:08 PM
Your hospital room

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicoler76
Hi irish gals, I am a transplanted South African now Yankee ...and our hospitals are similiar to you Irish gals. The times I had my D&C, laparoscapies and 2 babies I was in a ward everytime with about 7 other ladies. Talk about no privacy, you come to love that curtain you can draw close. Even going to see the GP it's all undressed, gown the whole too doo for you sore throat!

My medical care here in the US has been like having private staff at a private hotel!!
Oh, I could sooooo not do that! I have to hav emy own space.....sharing with 7 others would soooo nut be a good thing!
Unread 03-22-2008, 03:40 AM
Your hospital room

My hospital room was very interesting. I was originally told that I would be on the maternity floor (for better access to my doctor) or a new wing they had almost finished building. Since I was a Hyster. patient, I was an immediate private room (not quite sure why - but not about to argue about it).
My family was sent to the new wing to wait for me while I was in recovery. After an hour, the staff told them there had been a change in the plans and I was needing to go to a different floor. They had decided that I belonged on Pediatrics because of my size. This was a little odd, but okay.
None of the nurses knew how to work my epidural pump to change the setting or the bottle (it took 6 of them, and then they had to get a maternity nurse over to do it for them). There were not many patients on the floor, so I had great care. They apparently do not provide any toiletry articles to their patients, but they were able to come up with bottles of baby shampoo and lotion (great - so now I smell like I belong on Pediatric).
The hospital is constantly undergoing construction, so I was treated to the sounds of drills, jackhammers, hammers, etc. from 7 am to 4 pm every day. Now that is a mood brightener.
The food was horrendous. They brought OJ, and jello for every meal. All I wanted was crackers and tea. I had to go through a nurse to get that. The second morning they were set to bring me broth for breakfast and the nurse intervened and got me toast and tea. I have never been so happy to see a slice of bread in my life!
Overall, it was a good experience as far as privacy, surgery, nursing staff, etc. But the room changes, food, and construction were definite downfalls.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register