4 Weeks post op and feel so guilty - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

4 Weeks post op and feel so guilty 4 Weeks post op and feel so guilty

Unread 03-08-2008, 03:22 PM
4 Weeks post op and feel so guilty

You should definitely not feel guilty. This recovery has been so hard for me, too. I very much understand how you are feeling! For me, before my surgery, I just assumed I'd snap back pretty fast because I'm in great shape and very healthy. WRONG!! haha. So, for me, it was really hard because before surgery, I actually had TOLD people I had committments to that I'd be back and up and running within 3 weeks (meaning, able to get out and do things... not RUNNING, but feeling good enough to start up volunteer work I do, taking care of my kids full-time, just stuff like that).

So, when week 3 hit in my recovery, and I realized that week I had told people before my surgery I'd be doing things for them by then, I had to contact everyone and say, "there's no way I can do XYZ for you now... I had no idea how long this recovery would really take."

So, that was really hard for me. But, I've come to realize that I'm not alone. MANY women here on this board are taking the full 6 weeks and sometimes longer to really feel good.

I'll be 5 weeks tomorrow, adn I still have pain. I'm still puttering around my house!! haha. I AM getting out a little bit here and there... but it's just little things... I am MOSTLY just sitting at home all day just resting on my couch, or puttering around the house.

But, I haven't been to a store yet, I haven't been to a mall yet, I haven't been out to a restaurant yet... Normally in my life, I am running around morning till night... so this has been hard for me to just putter around my house. I just can't do much at all yet, and I don't know when I'll be able to do more. For me, if I really wanted to, I probably could go to the store or go to the mall, but I know if I do that sort of thing, the next day, I'll be dealy paying for it. Plus, my doctor boldly told me what could happen if I over-do it, and I do not want to pay the consequences. Interestingly, I have found I can even over-do it around my own house, so I have to be careful even in my own home!!!

I am also still needing to take one Percocit at night before I go to bed. By the evening, I'm SOOOO achy and the burning sensation can at times be unbearable. I called my doctor last week to ask about this (and talk about why I'm still feeling pain) and he said it was fine I'm still taking a Percocit at night... that is what it's for... to help relieve the pain. He said I'm still in recovery mode, and it's normal to feel the things I'm feeling now. <sigh>

I go to my 6-week check this coming Friday, and honestly, I had NO idea I'd be feeling the way I am less than a week from my 6-week check.

So, don't feel guilty... we all had major surgery!!! It takes a long time to recover and I don't know why I didn't realize that. I am so thankful for those helping me so much.

Like Starbgirl, I'm doing nice things for those who have helped me so much. I've been writing really nice hand-written thank you cards, I've been giving some people (who have done a LOT) gift cards to places... .and my DH.... he doesn't know this, but I booked him a massage for this next week to surprise him for all that he's been doing for our family these past 5 weeks...

One thing I have realized, too, is people really like to help! People like to feel needed and when you allow them to help you, it makes them feel good, usually. :-)

Hang in there... please don't feel guilty. Let your body heal right, and don't push it and try to force yourself to get into normal life faster than your body is ready for. If you do that, you very likely will pay for it later in the future with more set-backs.

Hang in there!!! So many of us can relate to you. :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-08-2008, 05:59 PM

Try not to feel too guilty. I had an employer who kept calling me and asking me when I would be back and let me know of all the "hardships" my other co-workers were having by covering for me. Thankfully I had this site, a great support system from DH and friends and a Dr. I could talk to who wrote me a lovely note giving me an extra two weeks of recovery time. I too pottered around, seriously, at 5 weeks making soup and grilled cheese sandwiches were a huge accomplishment!! LOL I am now about 9-10 weeks and just went back to work last week. Take the time to heal....your deserve it and it is necessary. A few extra dust bunnies flying around aren't going to matter.
Unread 03-08-2008, 07:27 PM

I am sill puttering as well. We had our surgeries the same day. I am still on pain killers and just feel terrible. Lying around doesn't make you feel mentally any better but physically it does. I noticed yesterday some redness in my belly that looked a little like stretch marks. I didn't get any during my pg but they seem to fade and come back and fade and come back. Weird huh?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register