Are adhesions dangerous? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Are adhesions dangerous? Are adhesions dangerous?

Unread 03-08-2008, 06:25 AM
Are adhesions dangerous?

I understand that we want to avoid adhesions and not over do it following surgery, but are they dangerous? If you had an adhesion that wasn't painful, would it still be a problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-08-2008, 07:11 AM
Are adhesions dangerous?

i have no idea. i have never rested after any surgeries...i've always done the housecleaning, drove, walked, etc from the day i came home from cscections, hysterectomy etc. i have never been told i have adhesions. i was able to have the lsh after 4 previous abdominal surgeries with no problems. i'm wondering if some people are just more prone to them and get them whether they overdo it or not.
Unread 03-08-2008, 07:48 AM
Are adhesions dangerous?

I know more about adhesions than I would like to right now. Adhesions are nothing more than scar tissue. I had 3 c-sections and in between each one the Dr. would tell me how much scar tissue my body would produce. I never gave it any thought until about 5 yrs. ago when I started having severe pelvic pain. Long story short, after many tests they discovered my pelvic region was full of scar tissue. My ovaries were covered and my uterus was pushed out of place. I had a LSVH and the Dr. removed some of the adhesions. Having my abdomen opened up would only add to the problem of scar tissue forming again. The bad thing is that I had my 6 wk check-up yesterday. My pain has returned because she was unable laproscopicly (sp?) to see all of the adhesions. She removed as many as she could. I will have to deal with this pain for the rest of my life. We will have to manage it with meds. Some people never have a problem with adhesions at all and some peoples bodies just go crazy. The pain can be severe (I know for fact!). Some adhesions can get so big that they develop nerve endings and a blood supply. I've learned to move in more fluid motions. Quick jerky moves can pull the adhesions causing them to tear meaning a new wound inside and another opportunity for new scar tissue to form.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-08-2008, 09:51 AM
Are adhesions dangerous?

Adhesions can cause lots of problems. They grow like crazy, and will wrap around your intestines, and organs. Ultimately, they can cause more surgeries in the future. When my mom had her hyster 16 years ago, she didn't take it very easy because she had to take care of her terminally ill mother and she developed adhesions. Within 3 years of her hyster, she had to have a complete bowel resection, because her adhesions had completely wrapped around her intestines and caused a blockage. So, she had surgery with a very large vertical incision and was in the hospital for over 2 weeks. I know that the adhesions I had before my hyster were very painful and I don't want to experience them again.
Unread 03-08-2008, 10:02 AM
Are adhesions dangerous?

I had adhesions from very severe endometriosis. My doctor opened me up to remove my ovary that had become the size of a large grapefruit, and also had to remove my right ovary because the cysts he was hoping were simple cysts, were endometriomas (chocolate cysts from endometriosis). I had fibroids on my uterus and my uterus was attached to my bowel from bad adhesions, I almost went home with a colostomy bag it was so bad. I feel alot "freeer" now.

~Sass
Unread 03-08-2008, 02:15 PM
Are adhesions dangerous?

Thanks for all the responses Ladies!

Okay, so basically, if you have adhesions, you know it. They aren't going to sneak up and kill you without warning like ovarian cancer.
Unread 03-09-2008, 09:48 PM
Are adhesions dangerous?

I had TAH/ BSO and most of problems was cause from adheshions. I was in alot pain from them, they told me that long u have them they grow nerves and thats is what causes the pain, they removed all of mine and put platelets in there to help the healing so I would not scare again. And I am feeling great now
Unread 03-10-2008, 07:25 AM
Are adhesions dangerous?

shawndale29,
My doctor didn't want to open my abdomen because my body produces so much scar tissue. I know my adhesions are bad. Like I said, I still have pain post surgery. Was your doctor worried about new adhesions forming after your surgery, and could you explain what the "plaelets" are? I've never heard of that. I hate that I'm still having pain.
Unread 03-10-2008, 12:28 PM
Are adhesions dangerous?

No my Dr. wasn't worried because of the platelets help u faster so isn't alot of scaring she said I a mess. the platelets is new. they use them out your blood. I didn't even have stitches or staples. they glued me and u can't hardly see the cut. don't get me wrong still little sore. but I feel 100% better than I did.
Unread 03-10-2008, 12:29 PM
Are adhesions dangerous?

I have a ton of adhesions from 2 previous abdominal surgeries (according to my surgeon who did the hyster)but I don't have any problems. Some people get horrible pain if the adhesions constrict the bowel or stick the bowel to the abdominal wall. many people can go their whole life and not know about adhesions - really it all depends on where they are...the more surgery you have the more adhesions you will get - and it doesn't seem to matter whether or not you take it easy or push yourself...bottom line they can harm you, or you may never know you have them...no hard line answer there.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register