How have you weaned off digestive help? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How have you weaned off digestive help? How have you weaned off digestive help?

Unread 03-08-2008, 09:06 AM
How have you weaned off digestive help?

Hi all,

I am 4 weeks post op yesterday. I am still taking stool softeners 2x a day plus Miralx nightly. Last week one night I didn't take the Miralax and I did not go the next day and I got very uncomfortable. When I took it again it took 2 days to work.

I want to get off all this stuff and get my normal digestion back. At the same time I am afraid to stop all this stuff as my bowels took a big hit this time and not going is so much worse this time. Prior to this surgery I have never suffered from constipation. After my TVH in Nov, my digestion was normal again after 2 weeks.

How did you guys stop? When did you stop?

Thanks,

Starbgirl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-08-2008, 12:46 PM

My doc told me to keep taking it until my 6 week appt. Said stool softners are not addictive and to not worry about it.

If you are concerned, I would definitely call your doc (or at least his/her nurse) and ask.
Unread 03-08-2008, 01:18 PM

I also wonder the same thing. I have been taking stool softeners since day 1, and I'm almost 5 weeks post-op (will be 5 weeks on Monday). Everything has been working great, digestive speaking, for the past 2 weeks, and I've been regular without any problems (except it still is a tad painful when I go... the whole "giving birth to the BM thing", but that really has gotten better.)

So, I decided that maybe my body was ready to go off the stool softeners... so I went off of them for 2 days. By the second day, I was borderline constipated. ugh!! so, I went back on the stool softeners, and it took a couple days to get regular again.

So, I take that as my body is not ready to be off of my stool softeners. ugh. I just want to be off everything I'm taking! I go to my 6 week check Friday this next week, so I'll find out then how long I should be on them.

Yah, call your doctor if want to get his/her advice.... but I suspect it's the full 6 weeks that we need to be on them (for those having digestive issues this late into the recovery period).

Good luck!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-08-2008, 03:42 PM

I have permanently changed my eating habits and on the rare occasion that the old me takes over and cooks or orders at a restaurant - I take 2 Ducolax stool softeners and I am fine.
Unread 03-08-2008, 05:18 PM

I actually decreased mine to one every other day. Taking a stool softener daily was a bit much for me. I too am trying to eliminate them (no pun intended) from my daily regime.
Unread 03-08-2008, 05:34 PM

I was taking Metemucil everyday for the first 3 weeks, and then changed my eating habits to lots of vegetables and fruit ( I didn't have any gas problems) and oatmeal and whole grains. Stopped taking Metemucil and things have been regular ever since. My pre-surgery diet consisted of chips, chocolate and anything I could take out of a box! So big changes. I too, am terrified of being constipated and have just been told to take iron because I'm very low still after surgery. Everyone has told me it is known for constipating. If that happens, I will go back on Fibre drinks or stool softners. I guess your body will just know when it's o.k. I have been told by my Dr. that stool softners are not addictive and my body won't rely on them to go. Fingers crossed and good luck with your choices!

Nadine TAH/BSO, Fibroids, severe eno, ovarian cysts
Unread 03-08-2008, 05:51 PM

I've always suffered the dreaded constipation and the stool softeners were working at first and then since Thursday not so much..had a breakthrough today and will continue to take them 2 x per day...until I have a check up..
Unread 03-08-2008, 07:22 PM

I'm 3+ weeks out and still taking the softeners twice a day. I don't have much of an appetite, so I haven't been eating my pre-surgery levels of fruit & veggies. I'm going to wait 'til I'm back in my normal eating routine before I give them up.
Unread 03-08-2008, 07:42 PM

Anyone ever try just using Glycerin suppositories? Its non habit forming (you can use it everyday)and inexpensive. Along with my imroved diet I'm getting the plumbing working again. Hurray! : )
Unread 03-08-2008, 10:12 PM

I'm going on 7 weeks post op and am still taking stool softners. I went for a day without taking one and then didn't go for two days and don't want that to happen again. At my six weeks post op appt my Dr said there are no effects from taking them long term. I also drink plenty of water and juice, eat oatmeal, fruit such as pear halves and peaches.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register