2 questions regarding menopausal symptoms - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

2 questions regarding menopausal symptoms 2 questions regarding menopausal symptoms

Unread 03-08-2008, 03:57 PM
2 questions regarding menopausal symptoms

I had no symptoms until about a month ago since then they have been horrible!

I have been having hot flashes at least once an hour during the day, night sweats during they night - at least three, and mental fog BIG time lately. Ahhhh....

I'm actually going to put a call in to my gyno this week. I thought it would lessen or go away but it's getting worse. I really don't want to take HRT's (or I thought I didn't) but if it helps me out I will.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-08-2008, 11:13 PM

My Hot Flashes hit at 3.5 weeks. I was getting 3-4 an hour! Stress and anger seem to make them worse. I started taking Prometrium(bio-identical progesterone) 100 mg a day 30 days ago. It has helped by dropping them down to maybe 1 or 2 an hour I got ambien for the insomnia, and I have Cymbalta waiting at the Pharmacy... I dislike ADs, but I am going to take them. My NP said 6 months for estrogen.because of the endo. We shall see. I did ask how long. Some a few weeks, others 20 yrs. That scares me
Unread 03-09-2008, 06:04 AM

Dr. said the hormores are stored in fat cells, so that's your determining factor as to how long before their used up. Everyone's different, like we haven't heard that before.

I was having a few night sweats pre-op, now I don't get them anymore , but I get flashes .

They arn't really bad, I don't take any HRT. I choose the alternatives vitamins, herbs and accupuncture, and it does seem to be helping. I was getting a flash every hour, now it is very inconsistant (which is good) and go a couple hours without one at all, and they are milder.

So I'm not sure what's doing it, but I'm not stopping anything I'm doing yet. Check out the Hormone section, that has helped alot.

Good Luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-09-2008, 08:34 AM

YIKES!!! 20 Years!! That scares me too. Its amazing how these gyns get off the hook by giving us such a broad range of post hysterectomy symptoms as well as time frames for the symptoms. I, too, got the "everyone is different", to the "I don't know" answers. Guess they learned that in hysterectomy school :-)). My hot flashes, too, seem to come out more when I'm stressed. When not at work, I usually go all day, without any, but have several a day when working. MY biggest complaint is the insomnia, which I've fought with my gyn about. He finally gave in and gave me Ambien CR, (after I told him I was going to call HIM at 2 in the morning when I was WIDE AWAKE), but only 10 and told me just to take it when I absolutely need it. But I don't know if I will need it until I wake up at 2 in the morning, and then its too late to take it since I have to get up at 6. So, I'm hoping this will all settle down in a couple of months. I'm trying, like Northbound, to not take any HRT. I'm supposed to tell my gyo at my 6 mos. check up which is in July if any symptoms are persisting and we'll go from there. Thanks, everyone, for your input and support. Its easier to get info here than it is from the doctor.
Unread 03-09-2008, 11:55 AM

Hi Pam, I had my TAH/BSO the week before Christmas and I had hot flashes by the time I got home. I can not take HRT because of blood clots that I had when I was younger and on the pill. I also seem to have a lot of 'brain fog' and have trouble sleeping at night. The biggest ordeal for me is that I have developed a case of TMJ (maybe from stress-related teeth griding?) which has resulted in alot of major headaches and neckpain. I am to see a doctor for that this week and hope we can get a handle on that. Hope yours gets better soon. I am some what worried about life with no harmones. Do most women that go through natural menopause take harmones or do without? When do women that take harmones stop taking them? Just curious?
Unread 03-09-2008, 12:42 PM

HI cfrady: I read that HRT has gotten a bad rap over the last few years due to studies that found an increase in heart attacks and breast cancers in a small number of women taking them. So I think the doctors are shying away from giving it out as freely as they used to. And the women who do take it are not on it very long. My mother has a friend who is now 80 years old who took HRT for 25 years for hot flashes and other menopausal symptoms. It did indeed take away the hot flashes all this time, but since she came off of it 5 years ago, she is now getting the hot flashes, insomnia, ect. So its a trade off, you can't be on the HRT forever.
I, too, am worried about life without hormones. My gyn recommended that my ovaries also be removed due to my situation (endometrial hyperplasia with atypia), because of a chance of finding endometrial cancer at the time of my surgery which they did. I have also read that keeping the ovaries or at least 1 of them will still produce hormones in small amounts after menopause and will protect our bodies more against osteoporosis and heart disease . So, I guess its a toss up. Except for the insomnia, which I am hoping will go away, I feel really good, I've had no complications from the hysterectomy, I acually feel better now than I did before the surgery. I can put up with the hot flashes and the occasional brain fogs too. So we'll just have to wait and see by July.
By the way, I'm a dental hygienist, and if you're having TMJ problems or feel you're grinding your teeth, ask your dentist to make you a nightguard. Its a clear plastic appliance that you wear on your top teeth at night. It keeps your top teeth and bottom teeth coming coming in contact and grinding. Take care, Pam
Unread 03-09-2008, 05:07 PM

I'm one of those who started having hot flashes while I was still in hospital. At their peak I was getting 20-25 every 24 hours, but finally (keeps fingers crossed) at five months post op they do seem to have lessened a little.

I was really surprised when talking to my MIL about hot flashes she told me that she still gets the occasional one at night - and she had a TAH/BSO at age 52, 23 years ago!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register