Questions about running post-op | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Questions about running post-op Questions about running post-op

Unread 03-08-2008, 09:18 PM
Questions about running post-op

? how are you coping without being able to run? i am an avid runner and have been for many years. never forced to take time off from any type of exercise for longer than 2 weeks. i am afraid i will never be the same in running..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-08-2008, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lallohf
? how are you coping without being able to run? i am an avid runner and have been for many years. never forced to take time off from any type of exercise for longer than 2 weeks. i am afraid i will never be the same in running..

Hi lallohf,

The first 4 weeks were not hard at all for me in terms of not beign able to run because I was in so much pain and discomfort that running was the last thing from my mind. haha!! But, I'm 5 weeks post-op on Monday, and I'm now starting to really miss it. I'm still at a point where I can't even imagine running, and that has been hard the last week for sure.

There are moments where I wonder if I will ever run again, but I know I will. I have not have any set backs, and even though I don't have a recovery like some women who are up and feeling normal by 2 - 3 weeks, I do believe my recovery has been normal.

I have a personal trainer, and I met with him last Thursday for the first time since my surgery. We run together (pre-surgery) and he helps me strangth train as well. He's a big time runner and he has been an amazing coach for me. Anyway, we just sat and talked. last Thursday... I did NOT workout!!! Just driving to the gym, and walking inside to meet him was my workout! haha. Anyway, he told me he is not comfortable with me even starting to run until I'm 8 - 10 weeks post-op, just based off of how I'm feeling right now. I think he is right, and even with that, it'll be case by case.... I'm HOPING by 10 weeks post-op I'll be able to do some light running. I'll see my doctor this coming Friday and see what my doctor says. But, everything is still so sore in my abdomen that the motion of running just seems painful now. I still can't even walk at a normal pace yet... I'm still kind of walking slow.

What I am expecting to do (beign very optimistic here) is that my doctor will give the OK on this Friday to start light exercise... light cardio (elliptical, walking on treadmill, very light strength training, etc.), and I'll start up with my personal trainer twice a week starting Monday March 17, (I have always workout out with him twice a week, so I'll start that up the week of the 17th IF my doctor say YES), and we'll just start slow.... light cardio until I feel i can start running again.

I am hoping by the summer, I'll be running.... I doubt I'll be running any races in June or July, but I'm optimistic that by August or September I might be able to compete in a couple races.... definitely won't be going for any PR's (personal records) this summer .... I'll save new PR's for summer of 2009. :-) I'll just be happy to RUN sometime during the summer of 2008.

The way I'm coping with this the most (because like you, the longest I've taken off from running is about 2 weeks) is I know I'll gain my fitness back fairly fast. My personal trainer is not worried a bit about my fitness level. He told me it'll take 6 weeks probably for me to regain it (once I am feeling really good, that is). He assured me that you can't lose that much in just 6 weeks, at least at the fitness level I was at before my surgery. I have been eating really well during this recovery to make sure I don't put on weight, but in fact, I've lost 3 lbs, so I'm not worried about my weight in termes of getting back into things.

I also am looking at it as being an athlete, our bodies DO need breaks. I put my body through a lof of stress sometimes with the workouts I do (I compete in traithlons as well as just running races), and so this break is probably good for my body....

The other thing I just thought about yesterday is the pain I've had to endure through this recovery has probably been the worst pain I've had to deal with in my life so far (I've been very healthy my whole life, so I've never really had painful health issues before). So, I honestly think this experience will make me an even stronger runner because if I can handle this pain from recovery day after day after day, I should be able to handle the BURN you get from a hard run even more than I have in the past.... which means, I bet I'll push myself even harder after I'm fully recovered and back into running. Well, and I won't have awful periods to SLOW me down each month with my workouts, too.

Anyway, I've just been trying to keep a positive attitude. I have my moments for sure... believe me... I have my own little pitty parties here on my couch from time to time. But, I do think there is a light at the end of the tunnel, and I'm sure you'll be up adn running again on the streets before you know it, adn we'll look back at this time and think it wasn't as bad as we had thought. :-)

That is about all I can offer right now.... I am SURE everyone on this board will hear from me the day I go for my very first run outside.... whenever that will be! it'll be a day of celebration for me for sure. :-)

Take care!!
Unread 03-09-2008, 08:36 AM

Loves to Run..what a great reply! I too am a fitness FREAK some may say..and your post gave me great comfort. I've been doing very well with my walking although like you still slow..one day at a time aye?

In any case I took ease in your personal trainor saying much won't be lost in 6 weeks. I've been seeing a lot of postings where the ladies are cleared for exercise at week six and on Tuesday I'll be at week three so that's HALF WAY OVER

I am hoping to do the run for the cure in October and that's my only running goal for 2008..like you I'll save the real energy for 2009..and I do love my weights so that will keep me busy.

I too am watching my weight and eating much better than I was pre-op..I haven't had anything to drink other than water for three weeks! Well, some lemonade in the hospital and a coffee in the am..but no diet soda, alcohol, etc..and with the need to have daily bowel movements (I detest talking about this.. I am eating better on that front also..

Again, thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-09-2008, 09:37 AM

Hi Lallohf,
I'm a new runner, just started in May, and was up to 7 1/2 miles on my long run days. So although I'm not a life long runner, I'm a born again runner and my enthusiasm has made it hard to stop. I had to give up on running back in December and won't hit 8 weeks until the 25th. I can hardly wait!!!! I've dealt with not being able to run by doing little things that I can still do, even doing toe presses in my hospital bed so I won't start back with shin splints. There are simple muscle tensing exercises that you can do right off the bat to keep you entertained and keep you muscles tones, (they are listed on here somewhere.) Your doc might let you start fitness walking early and my doc encouraged me to get on the recumbent stationary bike as soon as I felt up to it because it is non weight bearing, but I didn't have any abdominal incisions so I was probably cleared earlier than the sisters that did.

The time will pass quicker than you think! I found an excuse to run on Friday, (across a parking lot because it was pouring rain ) and it felt really good, but I'm glad it was just a minute or two as any more would probably have been bad. I go for walks with Hubby, (he won't let me run,) and yesterday we walked for 1 1/2 hours so I'm getting in some decent exercise. I can really feel my strength returning with the walking and when I ran across the parking lot, it was nice to see that it didn't even wind me, (a year ago it would have left me gasping.)

Hang in there, your fitness level will return before too long and you will be better than your old self without a uterus to haul around
Unread 03-09-2008, 01:15 PM

The Elliptical trainer!! It is not quite the same but it got my "speed work" done without jarring impact of running (I am a bit fluffy so I jiggle when I run... )...I was cleared to start using it (low impact stuff)at 3 weeks...mind you I didn't get too long,fast or far on it that first week but found I worked up to comparable pace pretty quickly. I'm at 8 1/2 weeks now and did my first "real " run this morning outside..only lasted about 10 minutes for running but I also injured my sciatic nerve in surgery so I wasn't expecting much...it did feel great though..I know it will come!!
Trish
Unread 03-09-2008, 02:51 PM

Another thing my personal trainer recommended for me to do for the next 2 - 3 weeks for sure is to book a massage for myself. He actually is sending me to a specific massage therapist who works at our heath club and he knows well and is she is really good. He is going to talk to her personally to tell her about my situation. He said if she can massage my upper back, shoulders, neck, head, arms, feet, calves, and if I'm comfortable, quads and hamstrings (reason I say comfortable is massaging that high up on the leg might pull the skin on my abdomen, and that might not be comfortable). He said I can lay on my back for the whole massage and she'll just put her arms under my back (so between my back and the bed) and massage my back that way, so that way I don't have to lay on my stomach. So, she won't come near my abdomen at all.... she won't massage my lower back or my sides at all... I won't let her.

The reason he wants me to do this is because he could tell just by looking at me that my muscles are really tense right now. He said any time you're in pain, your muscles tense up. On top of that, any time a part of your body is out of commission (in my case, my abdomen), the other parts of your body over-compensate, and so other muscles in your body end up working harder than they are used to around the clock, or they are strained in ways they should not be (like my upper back is a mess because just up until a few days ago, I've been walkign pretty hunched over for 4 week and a few days. That is really hard on your back.

Anyway, he said not only will this just help relax me all together, but if I can get at least one massage before I begin any sort of workout, that is better for my body because if I just start working out with my muscles and body as tense as it is, I am possibly setting myself up for injury. He told me if i don't get a massage, then our first session together where I actually workout will just be stretching only.

Anyway, this made a lot of sense to me. So, I'm booking a massage this week for myself and I'll make sure the massage therapist knows WHERE to stay away from on my body, and she will know since my trainer will be talking to her, and of course i'll be talking to her. But, just to get my upper back, shoulders, neck, arms, head, feet, calves and hopfully hamstrings and quads just worked on and get those knots out will feel wodnerful and will really help condition me to get back into working out safely.

I am going to try to get a massage once a week for the next 3 weeks. I am also going to talk to my doctor to see if he can "prescribe" these massages to see if my insurance will pay for it. We'll see about that, but if my insuarnce won't pay or he won't prescribe them, I'll still get the massages because it just sounds heavenly to me.

Anyway, just something to think about for those of you who are hoping to get back into working out after 6 weeks of recovery where your muscles are probably a little out of whack....

Take care!!
Unread 03-09-2008, 03:27 PM

Oh ladies -

I feel your "I miss running" pain. I have been a runner for a long time. I had completed my first two runs after my TVH in November when my disasterous set back happened. I had stopped running 3 weeks before my TVH due to a calf injury. So essentially now I haven't run since the 2nd week of October!! With the current state of my health and needing to gain so much weight I really had to work on my mind set that getting back is going to take a while.

So my plan is to start with the eliptical and I found a yoga place by my house that does resorative yoga. They interiview you regarding the health issues you have had and help to come up with a plan to regain muscle strength etc. These combined with walking I hope will put me back on the path to running. I was SO hoping to run the Race for the Cure April 6th as LY I placed 6th in my division, but that like LTR is going to have to be a 2009 goal now!!

I realize the rest of you haven't had the complications but I think no matter what each of us has been through we WILL get it back and even if it is different than before - this will become the new us if you know what I mean. I plan on celebrating that

Starbgirl
Unread 03-09-2008, 06:16 PM

I'm a sort of runner, I started 6 years ago after being diagnosed with B.C. and really enjoy it, but I am old and it's getting harder! I started back last week at the hight school track and I went 2 1/2 miles with running the straights and walking the curves. It felt great so I then at the end ran the final 1/2 mile. I paid dearly for it that night and the next day but I don't care it was worth it. I went on a long hike in the mountains today and I am tired but again I feel great. I am 7 weeks post op but I had a TVH so my recovery was really easy. I saw in our newspaper a mini triathalon and I REALLY, REALLY want to do it. It is in May and it's like a kid one, 150 yard swim, 5 mile bike ride and 1 mile run, but it is for (lame) adults. My problem is I don't own a bike. Sigh!! Anyway, you guys on your worse day are better than I am on my best, but we all share a love for running. So here's to all of us getting our running shoes back on our feet and the ground under them as soon as possible.
Unread 03-09-2008, 07:33 PM

I took DD shopping for running shoes today. I wanted to buy some TOOOOOOOO, LOL. Kind of silly since I only have a few weeks on the pair I bought back in November I guess they will last me a while. My biggest goal at the moment is getting one good night's sleep without having to drug myself! I'm sure running will help when I can do it again. I'll just have to keep being p-a-t-i-e-n-t, ugh!
Unread 03-09-2008, 07:49 PM

Wendy -

I was thinking the SAME thing - that I'm not sleeping well because not only am I not working out but I'm not doing anything to get tired!! Seriously, I cannot wait to be tired again - cuz that will mean I have my normal life back

Starbgirl

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register