Questions about running post-op - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Questions about running post-op Questions about running post-op

Unread 03-11-2008, 11:00 PM
Questions about running post-op

JillClaire -- thanks for the tip on the support for the belly when running. I have thought about this, adn wondering how on earth will I be able to even do a light jog and have it be comfortable! I am so sad, to be honest, because I used to have a flat belly, and now it's so puffy! I know it'll go down, but I am just not patient... ugh. Oh well.

I have my 6 week check on Friday, and if my doctor gives me the OK to ease my way back into exercise, I'm scheduled to meet my personal trainer for my first post-op workout on Monday next week. I HOPE my doc gives me the OK.

I think I just worry too much, but I just worry that I'll go to the doctor and he'll tell me I'm not healing normal.... I just feel like I should not have pain this late in the game. I just feel so swollen still and my right side still hurts so bad. I just have this full feeling in my abdomen and I still walk slow. I, honestly, am expecting my doctor to be really surprised. I say that because at day 8 post-op, I went into him because of shortness of breath. He told me it was not normal to have shortness of breath. I told him I felt it was pain related (but he sent me to the ER just to make sure). It turns out it was pain related (well, that is what I think... nothing was wrong with me, except I was in serious pain still). My doctor told me at that day 8 post-op appointment that he has seen women who are not healthy and fit like me come in at day 8 post-op who are in way better shape in terms of recovery than me. That is one reason he felt it was not normal for me to be feeling the way I was.

Anyway, I'm probabl getting off-topic, but back to working out, I'm so afraid he's goign to tell me on Friday that something is not normal and I can't start working out again... I just worry too much, I think. I can't wait till this is all over!

BUT, I HOPE I can do my first workout on Monday!! I definitely do not think I'll get back into running until at minimum 8 weeks post-op. I guess I'll see what my doctor says and what my personal trainer feels is best (based off of what the doctor says), and of course how my body feels and how I feel.

But, I'm going to look into something to support the swollen belly for sure for exercise!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-12-2008, 05:27 AM

LTR,
I wonder if being in great shape before the surgery makes one more sensitive to the problems after. Does that make sense? Like you are so used to being healthy your body freaks out that something is wrong. Runners are used to pushing past "uncomfortable" so the body has to really scream to get attention. Maybe it is nature's way of keeping you from running or over doing things too soon.

I know, that is kind of simplistic, but it sounds good I've totally over done it the last few days, but it isn't the surgery getting to me now, I'm back to dealing with my regular annoying problems.

I WANT MY LIFE BACK!!!! I may put off running until I can walk 5 miles without being flat on my back for 2 days afterward.
Unread 03-12-2008, 08:48 AM

Wendy,

I actually think you are right. I have been thinking this all along, to be honest. But, there is this other part of me that worries what if something is not right inside of me.... but I DO think you are right, though.

I am also very in tuned to my body and so used to feeling every little thing in my body. I am this way so I can know when there is a "bad pain" vs. a "good pain". As an athlete, you need to be aware of the "bad pains" because if you aren't, you will get injured very easily.

So, I honestly, have wondered if this is why it seems like this recovery is taking FOREVER.... I wonder if it's because I am so in tuned with how my entire body feels.

My personal trainer and I actually had this exact conversation last Thursday. He told me that I now have the "great" experience of knowing what a "good pain" is vs. a "bad pain". haha. He told me many people do not know the difference and they often will just push through bad pain and then get injured, or start to not enjoy working out because the pain they have is actually "bad pain", but they don't know it's "bad pain" and so they say they hate working out because of how it feels.

Anyway, so honestly, I think you're right....

I am going to ask my doctor about this on Friday and see what he says.... back before my surgery, my doctor told me he would not be surprised if I felt more pain due to my adenomyosis than normal because I'm so in tuned to my body that the adenomyosis might seem even worse than it is... but that was also before we knew I had appendicitis. OUCH!! haha.

I am just like you.... I WANT MY LIFE BACK!!!! And, I also may put off running, too, until I can walk 5 miles w/out being flat on my back for 2 days.... heck.... at this point, I just want to walk 1/2 mile w/out being flat on my back! <sigh>.

Take care!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-12-2008, 09:13 AM

I just ordered myself some inspiration I bought Teva Trail Wraptor Running Sandals! They only make them for men, but all the straps adjust so I know I'll be able to get a good fit. They have them on sale for half off on the Teva website in Men's clearance. I also bought water shoes for Blizzard Beach next month, and shoes for my 10 year old.

I need to get back to running so I will stop SHOPPING!! If I'm gonna feel bad, I need to feel too bad to shop
Unread 03-12-2008, 09:41 AM

I think you ladies are right on. A couple of years ago out of the blue my BP spiked really high. It ended up being a kidney issue but when I went to the cardiologist we were talking about how most people don't "feel" high BP. He said the ones that do and come right in because they know something isn't right are the athletes. He said athletes are SO used to feeling good that the littlest thing will catch their attention. People who are not so tuned into their bodies will feel little things but becasue they are already used to not being at their peak, they don't notice.

Let's hope LTR that their is no issues, and you are just very sensitive to your body. Fingers crossed!!

I have NOT been walking much at all so you both have inspired me to ensure I make time for that today!!!

Starbgirl
Unread 03-12-2008, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lallohf
? how are you coping without being able to run? i am an avid runner and have been for many years. never forced to take time off from any type of exercise for longer than 2 weeks. i am afraid i will never be the same in running..
I'm tellin ya!! This is killing me!! I only started to run last Spring and I ran my first 5K the week of Thanksgiving. I have learned to use running as a "cigarette" of sorts! LOL! When I put those headphones on and step outside the house, EVERYTHING goes away. Nothing bothers me afterward. It's funny because other than my stomach, my body feels ready to go. I won't run because I won't hurt myself further and I understand that I need to heal properly but it is really doing a number on my mind not being able to do it. Time.......I keep telling myself it is only a matter of time.
So wonderful reading the posts. Makes you feel like you're not alone and that is so important! I'm finding very fast that others really don't understand what you are going through unless they have been through it themselves. Having a very hard time with others not understanding why I'm sad or cry occasionally.
Grateful to you all!!
Unread 03-13-2008, 09:01 PM

Starbgirl,

Didn't you have your doctor appointment today? How did it go? I really hope all is well and you are well on to a healthy and full recovery, especiallly after all you've been through.

I have my 6-week check tomorrow... I'll find out from him if I can have the go-ahead to start exercising again... hopefully it'll be a green light! I hope he says I'm healing ok.

I met with my personal trainer today (just to talk), and even if my doctor says I can start up working out now, my trainer is going to be taking it slow with me.... he is having me get a few massages first to condition my muscles and loosen them up and help the blood flow throughout my body before I really start my workouts (my trainer is sending me to a specific massage therapist who will be really good with my situation). My trainer and I both think it'll be probably 8 - 10 weeks post-op before I even attempt to run. That is fine.... I just want to make sure I don't hurt myself in starting up running again.... the last thing I need after this recovery is a pulled or strained muscle from starting up running with muscles that are already tight from overcompensating for my lack of abs. A pulled muscle or strained muscle would just set me back in my running more, so I'm fine taking it SLOW in getting back into running for that matter....

But, first, I just have to make sure all is good with me tomorrow at my doc appt....
Unread 03-13-2008, 09:47 PM

LTR -

Good Luck tomorrow. I hope your Dr can put your mind at ease about the pain you have been having. I've been praying for you that all is well and there are no complications.

I did see my Dr today and I had a fairly good appointment. The only frustrating part is that I am still bleeding although it is much lighter. So my Dr is going to have me keep using the Estrace cream at night for another 4 weeks in hopes of healing things up once and for all. The reason it is so frustrating for me is that even though I had that big surgery in Feb, my cuff has not been operated on since Nov 6th!! And I'm still not healed??? Ugh. I just wish my body would start to cooperate. The good news there though is that my cuff feels soft not hard like it did when I had the abscess behind it. And it's a darn good thing I'm not married as no sex STILL for at least 6 more weeks. OK - no more wining!

The other good news is that I can start exercising again I can start the yoga and I have been walking. I'm with you though, I won't be running for a while. I am going to keep with the walking and yoga, then add in my eliptical and some free weights before I start to run. I haven't run now really since the second week of October!! Plus I still need to gain 12 lbs so I'd like to get as much of that back as possible before I start to run.

Let me know what happens tomorrow. I hope you get a good report. thanks for thinking of me. I appreciate it

Starbgirl
Unread 03-14-2008, 04:15 AM

Hi Starbgirl,
I hope Yoga helps you heal. It seems like Yoga would increase circulation to the area, helping it heal. Have you tried taking anything like supplements or protein powder to promote healing? There seem to be a lot of things that can give a slight edge to the healing process.
Unread 03-14-2008, 11:50 AM

Hi Wendy,

I have that on my list of things to do this weekend. I'm going to go online and see what can help promote healing. I have heard that zinc does, but I'm sure there is more. Then I can go to the vitamin store and get whatever I need. Enough already!

I know though, that although they did not operate on my cuff the second time, one of my ovaries had slipped down and was sitting on top of it. That in itself is no problem but because I had the 2 abscesses and one of them burst, the yucky stuff and infection had glued the ovary to the top of my cuff. At first my Dr said he and the other surgeon freaked out because they thought the tissue at the top of my vagina had died. Then once they got everything dissected off there and cleaned up they thought it looked better, so I just keep reminding myself that they really messed with it so that's probably why the healing is taking longer too. I just pray the Estrace works because the next option stinks!!

I just know that someday whenever this will all be behind me. I don't know why I had to be the unlucky one and have all these complications but whatever I was and I did. Onward now!! And one day Wendy I will be running down the road which is my lifelong passion, without a care in the world!

Starbgirl

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register