Your first 'outing' after surgery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Your first 'outing' after surgery Your first 'outing' after surgery

Unread 03-09-2008, 08:34 AM
Your first 'outing' after surgery

Hi,

So I knew this was going to happen (just not as soon as this!) I am suffering from 'cabin fever' - have been house bound since Friday and am going insane! I feel great (other than gas pains) and desperately want to go out and do something (even just a drive around the block would be nice)

How soon before anyone ventured out after surgery and what did you do? My DH has suggested going to a mall and using a wheelchair in case I get tired. I do not do well couped up and am will soon be depressed if I don't get out.

Any suggestions/thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-09-2008, 08:41 AM

Can you sit outside ? I'm in Florida so I've been sitting on the porch reading. I had no energy to go anywhere at all for two weeks (lost alot of blood during surgery). My first outing was actually yesterday - 18 days post op. I went to the grocery store with DH; I just walked he pushed the cart and got the items (except the veggies, I picked those myself LOL).
I found that just sitting outside relieved the cabin fever - the sun and breeze on my face and listening to the birds was enough.

The mall sounds like a good idea. I like the backup idea of the wheelchair. Just don't push yourself too much; start small. Your external incisions may be small but internally there was alot done.
Unread 03-09-2008, 09:15 AM

I have been outside for walks almost all week, and I have sat outside to read some. Tomorrow, I go get my hair done. I am not cleared to drive yet, so my parents will take me. I am looking forward to that, but also kinda scared. It is an hr. car ride both ways. I now it will feel great to get it done though!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-09-2008, 09:16 AM

I had my surgery in the summer months and we live in a beach town. So my first outing was one week afterwards my DH took me down to a local restaurant on the water to sit at an outside table with a bunch of girls I volunteer with. They were having a girl's night out and he wanted to give me a chance to join in. I lasted about an hour and was wiped but it was good to get out. I think it took at least two days to recover from the little adventure.
Unread 03-09-2008, 10:36 AM

At one week post op, I went out for a short walk with hubby and dog. Since then, I've been to the grocery store a few times. Hubby pushed cart; I just told him what to get. I'm real excited because tomorrow we're going to Target. What can I say... these days it doesn't take much to amuse me.
Unread 03-09-2008, 01:44 PM

My next outing will be on Tuesday - to the dentist !!! of all times to lose a filling and then have the tooth break !!!! Thankfully the broken tooth isn't painful yet. This is one post op outing I'm NOT looking forward to but this too shall pass !
Unread 03-09-2008, 03:26 PM

My surgery was on a Tuesday, and I went to stay with my mom Thursday. Saturday was my 5th day indoors - and I was going nuts too!

I asked my mom if we could go just for a drive, that I had not been OUT for five days. Away we went...to my apartment! Kept good posture and went up the steps focusing on using my LEGS (yeah, I know, but this time I paid attention! lol). No problem.

Checked email...my downstairs neighbour dropped by with a get well present - a toy football, since the surgeon had first described my fibroid as 'about the size of a football', and the term stuck! I cracked up, but laughed from my throat, not my gut, as that would have HURT.

Sorry to run on....but cabin fever is a definite side effect!

Do what you feel up to...maybe DH has some errands to run, and you can wait in the car? At least you can look at the outside world while you take it easy.
Unread 03-09-2008, 04:00 PM

If you don't have to go down and upstairs, there is really no reason why you can't go out for a walk even the day you come home--unless your doc gave special instructions. Mine said to walk a lot, but to get outside I had to do stairs- (we have a split level with bathrooms up and down stairs but not on the middle level where the kitchen/dining room are)-and so I would wait until a while before dinner, then use the bathroom, go out for a walk (with someone with me at first) come back in, use the downstiars bathroom, come up to eat dinner, and the next timeI needed the bathroom head upstairs for the night. At first, I would walk back and forth in front of the hosue so that if I got tired it was easy to get back in. Now (almost 5 weeks post op) I can walk over 4 miles at a stretch.
But you can also do a car ride if someone will drive you--I found it was not fun even with a pillow under the seat belt--if you do, I would keep it short and be able to sit or lie down at the destination.
I honestly thought I would feel more cabin fever than I did--it was nice to nest and recuperate for a while. Now I enjoy going out to do somethings just for me, like the bookstore or a coffee shop--but still sitting is harder on many chairs than walking so I have a more limited ability to do that than to walk...
Hope this helps!
Deb
Unread 03-09-2008, 04:14 PM

I thought I'd feel cabin fever for sure after my surgery, but I had no desire to go out after my surgery because I was in a lot of pain and just tired all of the time. Just the thought of getting myself ready to go out, and drive to wherever I wanted to go to exhausted me.

My first outing was at 15 days post-op, and it was to visit a friend in the hospital. I was out for 1 1/2 hours (including driving time), and that completely exhausted me, and the day after my whole body hurt.

My second outing was not until I was 25 days post-op, and since then, I've been able to do some small things out, but I make it so when i go out to do something, the next day or two, i for sure stay home to rest and recuperate.

I will admit that I'm being ULTRA conservative because I just really want to make sure i don't over-do it. I just cannot afford any set-backs.

But, what I did do is I would go outside on my back deck and just walk around on the deck and sometimes just sit outside just to get some fresh air. i did that several times a week for the first 4 weeks. It just helped me feel like I was getting out. :-)

I'll be 5 weeks post-op tomorrow, and I have plans to go out a few times this week. I'm slowly getting my energy back, but I would say now I'm only about 70% back.

good luck!! Just make sure you don't over-do it. I think my big fear about going out to do things was I was worried I'd be out, and then suddenly start to really hurt or just suddenly get tired, and I would know that I'd still have to drive home (or get a ride home) and make it into my house to rest. That is why I just have been going outside on my back deck because I don't know about the rest of you, but my exhaustion will just hit out of nowhere with no warning, or pain and achiness will just suddenly come on without warning, and in these cases, I like to be close to my couch so I can just lay down fast and rest! :-)

Good luck!!
Unread 03-09-2008, 05:21 PM

Out of necessity, I had DH take me to Wal-Mart to take back the undies he picked up for me. I asked for the next size up and told him brand, number in package and size. LOL. He got me size 36. So, got them myself the day after I got back from the hospital. I shuffled around the super center like an old lady. I think I went out maybe once a week for the 1st 4 weeks in addition to doctor appts. I pointed to stuff and DH put it in the cart. I have 3 teenagers so you need food in the house. LOL

Take your time and plan small excursions at first. You may find yourself pretty tired after the first few outings.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register