Your first 'outing' after surgery - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Your first 'outing' after surgery Your first 'outing' after surgery

Unread 03-09-2008, 06:48 PM
Your first 'outing' after surgery

I went for short walks when I got home from the hospital and on day four or five (I forget now) we went to Starbucks and I had my legs up on an extra chair..only there about 20 minutes but it sufficed..

Are there any movies you'd been wanting to watch? Hobbies you can pick up again? Books to read?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-09-2008, 07:38 PM

Today was my first day out - post-op day 5. Woke up feeling great and told hubby " let's go grab some breakfast" - he then googled a very nice Crepery and off we went. We have the most glorious spring day in Arizona, so we sat in the sun. I had a nice fancy mushroom & leek crepe and some strong coffee and breathed deeply in thankfulness. Then we went to Trader Joes where I picked up some stuff I fancied plus a nice fat bunch of daffodils buds which I look forward to seeing bloom. It makes me happy just to see them sitting cheerfully in this glass jug. 3 hours out and about and my legs were a bit wobbly - came home crashed on the couch with my tea and book. I have been walking up and down - out on the patio too the very day after my surgery. Today was my first day OUT in the true sense. I did not care that my clothes were not great or that I walked like an old woman, I am just so happy to be ALIVE!
Unread 03-09-2008, 08:07 PM

I went out against all advice on day five to attend my daughter's high school sports banquet. She is a senior, my youngest and only one left at home and was being featured for many awards for all her athletic contributions. It promised to be a very emotional event for her and I due to a number of factors and I was NOT going to miss it! I took lots of meds, took my pillow and did okay.

I live in the Valley of the Sun (Arizona) and have been outside for walks and sitting with my morning coffee too but haven't left the house other than that since the banquet.

To be perfectly honest, I would probably do okay but am worried that everyone will view it as I am 'back' and I'll lose any help I'm getting and will have to return to work when I am trying to stay off until after both girls' spring breaks. Cheesy I know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-09-2008, 08:21 PM

5 days post op i ventured to my sisters house (my parents came and got me and my kids) to attend my neices birthday party. It was nice to get out of the house, and it was somewhere i didnt have to do much other than sit and enjoy
Unread 03-09-2008, 10:31 PM

Today 5 days post op I went with my DH to Super Target he pushed the cart and I walked slow and it felt great to be out and when I came home I made sure I rested the rest of the night. It felt great.
Unread 03-09-2008, 11:19 PM

I was feeling very good after my surgery and was living on a military base at the time. It was a small base and everything was within a couple of miles.

On day 3 home I drove my son and I to the movies. Because I did have trouble sitting for long lengths of time I sat in the back row so I could stand up and move around if needed without disturbing others.

On day 4 DS and I went to the grocery store to get a few items. Yes, he pushed the cart, loaded the cart and unloaded everything when we got home.

On day 9 I returned to work part-time. I was an HR assistant at the time (now the HR department) and went to work for a few hours to process wage changes, evaluations and answering phones.

When DS would get home from school he would go for a walk with me just so I could get out of the house.
Unread 03-09-2008, 11:35 PM

My actual first day out was yesterday(24 days post-op). We went out for dinner at a restaurant. After sitting for 1 1/2 hrs, I was ready to go home.
My incision started to burn and when we had to walk to the car, I felt like
I was carrying a bowling ball in my stomach(maybe I ate too much).

TAH 2/13
Unread 03-09-2008, 11:47 PM

I am almost 6 weeks post op. My surgery was a complicated abdominal hysterectomy with an unexpected bladder repair. My uterus was fused to my bladder. I went home with a suprapubic catheter and had to deal with that for 10 days post-op. Rough surgery, rough recovery. 4 days ago I started to bleed due to stitches dissolving and now waiting to here what will happen with that problem. Once again, complete bed rest. Since surgery, I haven't been in a grocery store, went to the bank after 4 weeks and almost fainted, driven only about 4 times. I'm exhausted. My first excursion out (besides to Dr) was out to the neighbors for dinner after 2 weeks. I have done less in 5.5 weeks, then I used to get done in a day. I can't believe for a former, athletic runner, this is so hard on me. I'm suppose to be patient, but that advise is getting old.
Unread 03-10-2008, 06:12 PM

I haven't been out yet since my surgery (except coming home from the hospital). I will be going to a Dr. appt on Thursday. I hope the pain will be a little better by then. I do have cabin fever but just don't feel like going out yet. I did have a visitor a few days ago and that was very nice.
Unread 03-10-2008, 06:48 PM

I was outside walking on day 4. Today, day 10, I but my big girl clothes on and went to the big city to get my hair cut and colored. Stopped for lunch and then came home. About 5 hrs. total. It was wonderful

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register