At day 10 post op - what is your daily routine like? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

At day 10 post op - what is your daily routine like? At day 10 post op - what is your daily routine like?

Unread 03-09-2008, 05:33 PM
At day 10 post op - what is your daily routine like?

I am 10 days post op - and I'm clueless about how far to walk and what the "signs" are for walking too much or too long. Here is my routine:

Once I get up in the morning, I stay up - no naps, no lying down. I am in bed about 12 hours each night - I get up to the bathroom 2-3 times a night. I wake up around 7 and read and snooze until about 8:30.

I alternate in the day between sitting straight up and reclining in a chair - it's not a full recliner, but it lets me stretch out.

I notice if I have been in one position for too long - whatever position - I have to switch. My incision feels prickly and uncomfortable.

I have this pain in my mid back that goes down into my hip - it's not a sharp stabbing pain - it is like a muscular pain deep inside. I think it might be from the way they positioned me during surgery. It flares up more when I walk for a while.

I have been walking about 15 minutes at a time 3 times a day outside and then around the house whenever I need to get anything or go to the bathroom.

I take 800mg Motrin every 6 hours and only take the Percocet at night before bed (1 tablet)

I washed the dishes for the first time today. I have folded a few loads of laundry. No cooking. I have dusted the house while someone else vaccumed.

I lift nothing but I have been bending over to pick things up (like my shoes) or put on my socks. I also pick up light weight stuff off of the floor - paper, the toothpaste cap, etc.

I feel like at day 10 I need to be doing more! What do you think? Thanks so much!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-09-2008, 05:38 PM

Wow - you are doing a lot at 10 days! I think I was still napping twice at day at that point - my back hurt too - from the surgery and possibly because I was sleeping on my back and terrified to turn onto my side so I was quite tense. I think you are doing really well - you will know if its too much if you have increased pain and feel tired - if you do just rest - take care - I wish you a continued good recovery, Veronica

(TAH -vertical incision - kept ovaries)
Unread 03-09-2008, 05:43 PM

For me, at 10 days post-op, I felt like I had regressed to a newborn: I pretty much only ate, slept, & pooped. HAHA!!

You are doing a lot more than I was able to do at 10 days post-op, but we are ALLL so totally different in how we recover. for me, at 10 days post-op, I was still taking Percocit every 6 hours, and just walking around for 7 minutes wore me out to complete exhaustion.

I'm MUCH better now at almost 5 weeks post-op (about 70% back to normal).

So, for me, at your stage, my daily routine was pretty much just resting and sleeping as much as I could, getting up to go to the bathroom. Every time I'd get up to go to the bathroom, I'd do a small walk around my house. I would manage to take a shower every day, too. My DH and othe friends prepared most of my food, although, I was able to get into the kitchen and get my own things, but even cutting things up was hard for me. So, my DH would prepare things and put it in the fridge, so all I had to do is take it out of the fridge and eat it.

I'm sure you'll see a huge variety of answers on this thread.

But, my #1 recommendation to you is don't push it. If your body hurts at all, or you feel really tired, just do what your body wants. It's really important to make sure you don't over-do it because you'll pay for it later... I've seen posts from other women who are past the 6 week mark who are in this situation...

Take care and good luck with recovery!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-09-2008, 06:10 PM
Hi there

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99percentsure
I am 10 days post op - and I'm clueless about how far to walk and what the "signs" are for walking too much or too long. Here is my routine:

Once I get up in the morning, I stay up - no naps, no lying down. I am in bed about 12 hours each night - I get up to the bathroom 2-3 times a night. I wake up around 7 and read and snooze until about 8:30.

I alternate in the day between sitting straight up and reclining in a chair - it's not a full recliner, but it lets me stretch out.

I notice if I have been in one position for too long - whatever position - I have to switch. My incision feels prickly and uncomfortable.

I have this pain in my mid back that goes down into my hip - it's not a sharp stabbing pain - it is like a muscular pain deep inside. I think it might be from the way they positioned me during surgery. It flares up more when I walk for a while.

I have been walking about 15 minutes at a time 3 times a day outside and then around the house whenever I need to get anything or go to the bathroom.

I take 800mg Motrin every 6 hours and only take the Percocet at night before bed (1 tablet)

I washed the dishes for the first time today. I have folded a few loads of laundry. No cooking. I have dusted the house while someone else vaccumed.

I lift nothing but I have been bending over to pick things up (like my shoes) or put on my socks. I also pick up light weight stuff off of the floor - paper, the toothpaste cap, etc.

I feel like at day 10 I need to be doing more! What do you think? Thanks so much!!

Hi there 99percentsure..

I think where you are 10 days post op has a lot to do with how active you were pre-op. Myself I am very active and worked out 6-7 x per week at 1.5 hours per night doing running, cycling, strength training etc..Last Tuesday I was at 2 weeks post-op and increased my walking to 6 kilometres each day. This week I'm hoping to add another 1-2 kilometres as I feel SO GREAT when I've finished my walk. I generally go first thing in the morning after I've had a decent (not sleeping great yet) night's sleep. I (like you) do not nap during the day and the only other activity I would add is preparing meals for my two sons before they go to work after school.

I am lifting NADA which is surprising all of my family and I call my sons or wait for my dh for other household chores other than folding clothes etc..

Again your recovery is very personal and listening to your body is key..I am listening to mine and doing better each day...

Looking forward to chatting with you more..
Unread 03-09-2008, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dans_Wife
I think where you are 10 days post op has a lot to do with how active you were pre-op. Myself I am very active and worked out 6-7 x per week at 1.5 hours per night doing running, cycling, strength training etc..Last Tuesday I was at 2 weeks post-op and increased my walking to 6 kilometres each day. This week I'm hoping to add another 1-2 kilometres as I feel SO GREAT when I've finished my walk. I generally go first thing in the morning after I've had a decent (not sleeping great yet) night's sleep. I (like you) do not nap during the day and the only other activity I would add is preparing meals for my two sons before they go to work after school.

I actually think recovery is so individual and is not based on what kind of lifestyle you led before your surgery. I actually was just as active as you. I'm a runner and a triathlete, and pre-surgery, I was working out 5 - 6 days a week (but that is because it's winter... summer, it is 6 days a week with one rest day), and I run 20 miles a week easily, sometimes more, depending on my schedule, I cycle a couple times a week and am in the pool as well. I strength train 2 - 3 times a week, and I have a personal trainer I workout with twice a week who pushes me to my limits... this was my routine pretty much leading up to surgery (I did have to slow down in January, a month before sugery, because I developed appendicitis, which is why my appendix was removed as well).... and I had every intention of being up and about by 2 weeks post-op. I figured becasue i was so fit and so healthy that I'd be feeling up to going out and doing things by 2 weeks post-op, and feeling normal by 3 weeks post-op.

I was very wrong... I am 5 weeks post-op tomorrow, and still am having some pain (but manageable), and not even close to how active I was pre-surgery.

Therefor, I think it's so individual. There are women on this board who are not athletes who were up and doing things way before me.

So, I am not sure it is safe to assume that you can base your recovery on how active you were pre-op.

anyway, this is just my own opinion, and obviously based off of only my own experience. :-) :-)
Unread 03-09-2008, 06:52 PM

I too think it is based on the individual. I was fairly active before surgery and at 5 days post op I have been able to do much more than my sister in law did when she had the same surgery 2 months ago. I am walking, sleeping 8 or more hours at night and not taking any naps during the day but I do rest. I have very little pain except the gas pains but they are now much better. This has been much more better than my C-section but there are alot of women that say their TAH was much worse than their C-section so I think it is the individual. I just listen to my body and when I feel I am tired I rest and make sure I dont over do it.
Unread 03-09-2008, 07:48 PM

I am also 10 days post op and I thought because my section was an easy recovery that this would be pretty easy too. It is a little more painful, mostly gas pain, and i feel like I don't feel anywhere near as good as I did post section. I have family here to cook, clean etc. At day 8 I had a setback in the pain. I think the Dr. pulled something during surgery because it feels like a muscle soreness. Anyway just listen to your body and don't overdo.
Unread 03-09-2008, 08:06 PM

I agree it is sooooo individual. I am an athlete also and I followed my Dr's orders to the "T" after my Nov TVH surgery. I didn't over do it at all. Then unluckily I suffered severe post op complications. My second abdominal surgery has been way harder to recover from. You are doing so well at 10 days! I was barely our of bed, and I just started going for regular walks this past week! I was 4 weeks out last Friday. This from a running addict

I'm happy to hear your doing so well and I hope the rest of your recovery is as comfortable and easy

BTW - I assumed that because I was in SUCH good shape (my Dr said top 1% of his patients) that I would just bounce right back - easy peasy - hardy har har!!! What is it they say about the word "assume" - LOL!!! Both my Dr and learned a good hard lesson about that

Starbgirl
Unread 03-09-2008, 08:42 PM

99percentsure - Glad to hear you're doing so well! I was fortunate to be about at the same you are at 10 days. Having a routine going is a good idea. I'll be 5 weeks post op on Wednesday, and I'm up to 30 minute walks three times a day (always followed by a nice rest). I increased the time a little every week. I have a 'no bed during the day' rule, and have had very little problem sleeping at night.

Just resist the urge to do too much when you're feeling chipper. You may feel like carrying laundry to the washer or pushing the vacuum cleaner around, but stick to the things that won't stress your belly too much.
Unread 03-09-2008, 08:45 PM

[b]Listen to your body! If its screaming "I am so tired",go to bed and rest, take a nap....if you hurt........you are doing to much.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register