Doctor nicked my bladder-3 weeks post op | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Doctor nicked my bladder-3 weeks post op Doctor nicked my bladder-3 weeks post op

Unread 03-09-2008, 06:29 PM
Nicked bladder-3 weeks post op

Hello everyone!! I am new to the Hystersister's site and I couldnt' have found a better place to become a member!!! I just really need to vent, and get this off my chest And if any of you have had any experience with what I am going thru and or going to go thru, please feel free to reply.

I had a laproscopic hyst on 2/15/08 with just my uterus being removed due to fibroids and painful monthly periods. I have gone thru the vaginal and urinary tract infections from the catheter, and finally had my 3 week post op appointment on 3-9-08. Was given Clinesse and antibiotic for infection, started feeling great-finally turning the corner.

Then around 10pm on Thursday, got up off the couch and noticed that my yoga pants, underwear, etc..... were sopping wet. I couldnt believe what I was seeing (urine coming out of my vagina) and it didnt get any better that evening. Went to my Dr's office first thing Friday am, and from there I was diagnosed that I have a "Vaginal Bladder Fistula" The one complication that only 1-2% percent of us may occur from surgery. I !!!! Went to ER and my Doc and Urologist put a catheter in me and said I need to have this in for at least 2 weeks to help the bladder downsize and not be stressed. From what they described I will have to incur a dye test to see where the hole is, how big, etc.....
And then I will need to have a bladder repair surgery 4-6
weeks from now. I am soooo devistated that I am trying to stay positive, but at times it is very, very difficult. Especially when i have a catheter in me, and I am still leaking from the other area!!

Have any of you gone through my ordeal? Success? Any words of wisdom? I did do some past searches and read some older posts (back in 2001) from the boards too.
All my friends and family have been so very supportive during this time, Im just counting down the days to get the catheter out of my body!
Thanks again for listening
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-09-2008, 06:48 PM
Doctor nicked my bladder-3 weeks post op

Spring fever, I am so sorry to hear that. Especially after you were feeling so positive and everything about the recovery - that stupid catheter is the worse thing, I can't even imagine how sad you must be. I hope you get some helpful feedback from others - meanwhile my prayers and hugs are with you
Unread 03-09-2008, 07:10 PM

Springfever

I am screaming for you!!! My situation was different. Yes, my bladder got knicked, but they knew it the day of my surgery. If I am understanding you - they didn't find out until after the fact.

My 2 hour surgery ended up being 7 hours because they had to wait for the Urologist to come. He repaired my bladder and then they closed me up. They realized (I guess after they inventoried all their gear that they had outfitted me with some internal jewelry (left something inside) and had to go in a third time.

I then started an 18 day love affair with Mr. Foley Catheter. They said that I would keep the catheter for 2 weeks while my bladder healed. What they didn't make clear was it was 2 weeks from the day that I was released - not 2 weeks from the day of surgery.

After 14 days, I was sitting watching tv and noticed that my bag was filling with blood. I went to urgent care and found out that I had a UTI. I got antibiotics for it and 4 days later they took the catheter out.

I am praying for you right now. I know that my situation doesn't compare to yours, but I at least wanted to share my bladder knick story with you. I know that even my situation was rare, but it happened and I dealt with it. And now that I am at the end of this post, I am thinking that if the same thing had happened to me - I'd be doing just like you - - - venting and moving on. All you can do is count the days and do what the tells you to do.

Blessings on you.... Please keep us posted on your situation. I'm asking GOD to bless you in a very special way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-09-2008, 08:33 PM

springfever -

I am so sorry this happened to you!! I had to come home with the catheter, so I know what it is like having it. But I also had to have another major surgery 13 weeks after my TVH for a different complication and that is where I can really empathize with you. Let me tell you that I know it STINKS and feel free to come here and vent anytime. I certainly have! There are so many wonderful women her who will listen and lift your spirits!!

Hugs,

Starbgirl
Unread 03-09-2008, 08:55 PM

The assisting surgeon perforated my bladder while trying to install a bladder sling as part of my planned TVH. This necessitated having a TAH, as they can't do a complete bladder repair without opening you up. I, too, had to have the lovely Foley catheter for 2 weeks. I hated it, but it was necessary in order for my bladder to heal. The worst part is that I now have no bladder sling and my urinary stress incontinence was worse that it was before my surgery. It makes me wish I'd never asked for the bladder sling. The urologist told me it takes several months for the bladder to totally heal, and he told me to do kegal exercises daily (twice a day, 10 reps, 10 seconds per rep). I've been pretty good about doing them, and when I do, they truly make a difference. I'm sorry to hear about your ordeal. Rest assured that many of us have been in a similar situation and our thoughts are with you. There is light at the end of the tunnel, so hang in there.
Unread 03-10-2008, 12:37 AM

Dear SpringFever I am so sorry that your going through all this. Please know that many of us are praying for you. Just hang in there and no that you will get through this and will be ok.
May God Bless You and keep you Strong through this difficult time.
Katrina
Unread 03-10-2008, 07:54 AM

Thank you everyone for your support and messages! I really do appreciate it. I am going on day 4 and counting down the remaining days left of healing.
I will continue to let you all know what happens on Weds when I visit my Urologist.
Thanks again ladies
Unread 03-10-2008, 12:04 PM

i also had a vvf, it was discovered at 2 weeks post op.i had a catheter put in and left in for 4 weeks.i was still leaking even with the catheter for a week or so and then it stopped. i know how uncomfortable it is to try and sleep with that, my heart goes out to you. i also was told that i would need surgery to fix it . i was quite devastated and didnt think i could go through surgery again but i kept that catheter in for a full month and after taking it out i havent had a leak since and that was allmost a year and a half ago. thinking back now i dont think 2 weeks would of been long enough really although at the time i would of been so happy to have it out. i know what you are going through,hang in there,it,l all work out in the end,,take care
Unread 03-10-2008, 02:45 PM

arlettafrontain

Thats some positive information you just posted. I have heard from several people that it could possibly heal on its own too.

But I spoke with my Urologist this morning and she said, that I will definately need repair surgery and Weds we are supposed to look at dates for the big day.
Thanks again for the support-it means alot !!!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register