Does exercise/walking make anyone else bleed/cramp? :( | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Does exercise/walking make anyone else bleed/cramp? :( Does exercise/walking make anyone else bleed/cramp? :(

Unread 03-09-2008, 10:48 PM
Does exercise/walking make anyone else bleed/cramp? :(

I can sympathize with all of you who used to run daily!

I want to work out so badly, but every time I even walk or do much physical I start to bleed! (This started last week, when I went to work my first day.) That freaked me out and am back in bed, not working until the 17th now.

It is an orangish-colored, light stream of blood that comes out if I walk a lot/work out or push when i use the restroom....the nurse said it's normal up to 6 wks and is a "serum" type of healing blood, but I am just over 6 wks and have not bled since the day after my surgery!

The nurse said I could do this light exercise, but the blood is really scaring me.

Are any of you getting this too? Blah!

I even gave all my sanitary products away, because I thought I'd NEVER bleed again! Please, give me some insight into what some of you are getting, if it is similar....I am so upset and scared! I know I can't force my body to heal faster....

I walk slowly....I walked about a mile on a trail a couple times out behind my apts and I rode the exercise bike once for 30 min and it felt really good at the time. It made me feel energized after I did it, although, I do have to take a vicodin to do it, or I can't seem to do it very long - still getting spasms in my cul-de-sac area where my endo was.

I have gained 13 lbs. since my surgery and feel so out of shape. Too much snacking
and tv....I'm afraid to even attempt to put on ANY pair of jeans I own!

It's been a lonely recovery for me and I want so much to get out and mingle a bit.

I retain tons of water too, if I have the tiniest bit of salt....
My ankles swell HUGE...does anyone have this sensitivity to salt?

This discourages me and makes me so upset about not being able to exercise/get my strength back !!!

I also have daily migraines, nausea and insomnia and the only thing that helps is if I take a vicodin and a phenergen.

At least I can function during the day on vicodin now, and could not when I was in pain with my endo, but I fear that I will never be "normal," and may always need to take some type of pain med.

Does anyone else keep getting headaches and nausea? My GP says when I get on a little bit of estrogen it should subside, but I am afraid of estrogen making my endo come back. I'm just confused. Are those of you on estrogen not getting headaches?

Thanks so much to all of you for your advice and I am so grateful to have you and this site at this difficult time in my life.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-10-2008, 12:26 AM

I'm not having any bleeding but when I walk I am getting lower abdomen crampiness! But it seems to get better the more I walk. I would check with your DR just to be on the safe side. I wish I could tell you something to help you but just wanted to let you know I care and am praying.
Let us know. God Bless You
Katrina
Unread 03-10-2008, 05:02 AM

I'm sorry you are still having such a rough time. Yours was a complicated and probably very long surgery compared to most of us. It is going to take a long time to heal. Since the nurse said it is normal up to 6 weeks and you are now past that, I'd make an appointment. Even if the bleeding stops by the time you see the doc, you will probably still be having the other symptoms and can address those. There is no reason to be so miserable this far out.

By the way, keep in mind that pain is your body's signal that things aren't healed/right yet so taking pain meds to exercise is a very bad idea. When you are pushing your body, you need the feedback to keep you from overdoing it. You may have prolonged your recovery by masking those signals with pain meds. Talk to your doc about it and let him know what it takes for you to do even light exercise. The nurse may have just heard the fact that you are exercising and not really pain attention to the rest.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-12-2008, 05:27 PM

Thanks,

I am just so disappointed and frustrated that I still have to take pain meds in order to get thru my day and function. I want so much to be better. I go for my 6 wk check up on Monday and will ask my doctor what the heck is going on.

One of my "friends" cussed me out yesterday, saying I was faking still being in pain and trying to make everyone feel sorry for me! She, out of everyone, should understand what I'm going through, because I helped her through her hysterectomy in November. I have not whined, just asked her questions, because she had already been through it.

She is completely great with no pain now, and on estrogen, so says I should be the same...that is just ignorant! Not everyone has an easy recovery and not everyone gets thru this with no complications and I can't take estrogen for a while because of my endo...I told her that and she said "Oh, boo-hoo you!" "You are pathetic!" She also said I am just a pill-popping idiot. How can someone be so cruel?

I literally spent most of 2007 in bed, in pain and she says I chose to be lazy...and am being lazy NOW, because I worked one day, then started bleeding, so have not been back yet. I have been friends with this girl for 6 years... I swear, I have NEVER had a real friend, they all stab me in the back at one point or another....I'm sick of it. How can someone say all that to someone recovering and depressed? If I was not on Lexapro, I would probably be in a mental hospital right now.

I am just so scared right now. Scared I will never be normal, scared I will never get out of this debt and scared no man will ever want me if I have pain the rest of my life....and you guys are the only ones being nice and supportive and understand me right now. I think I am going to try to find a psychiatrist to talk to, so I have someone to help me emotionally.
Unread 03-12-2008, 05:41 PM

Everybody heals differently and do not let anyone tell you how YOU should feel. I had a long recovery and still have some issues that bother me. It is also amazing how many sisters on here have had "friends" who do not understand! I am sorry that you too are dealing with an unsympathetic friend. But worry about you right now and take care of you! You only have one chance to heal right. They say it can take up to a full year to fully recover! But I would check with your dr. about the discharge and also since it is orange make sure you dont have an infection or even a vaginal cuff infection. It is better to be safe than sorry. You might want to google orange discharge as I have seen some posts about that. Good luck and I hope you feel better. But mostly ignore your less than sympathetic friend.
Unread 03-12-2008, 10:42 PM

First of all goghfish - that is no friend!! A friend cares and provides a shoulder, a listening ear and comfort, not sarcasm, put downs, and superiority.

Secondly, getting some help with your feelings is a good idea. I am going to do that after all that has happened to me. Sometimes we need that objective help. I don't have a DH either and although I have had an on/off BF I worry about being alone forever too. But you know what? It's NOT likley to happen. So love and take care of yourself and you'll be surprised how many more people love you when YOU love you.

Lastly I'll share what my Dr told me. After the initial recovery period - no bleeding is normal. He said walking does not make you bleed if you have a uterus ad does not make you bleed if you don't have a uterus. Not all bleeding is serious though. Usually the silver nitrate does the trick - but all bleeding should be investigated.

Please let your Dr know and let us know what happens.

Hugs,

Starbgirl

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register