Hysterectomy dates Mar 10-Mar 17,2008 - Page 112 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Mar 10-Mar 17,2008 Hysterectomy dates Mar 10-Mar 17,2008

Unread 04-08-2008, 09:57 PM
Hysterectomy dates Mar 10-Mar 17,2008

I even have regrets and I had a fibroid too big to come out vaginally. I kept thinking that perhaps I should have left the ovaries in or ask for a part of the cervix. My decision to take it all out? I question myself still. I think it's a part of who we are and removing it is a big thing. Even if we're not going to use it again, still, it's ours! Sometimes the lengthy recovery is increasing that feeling - but I think it's just the whole emotional roller coaster this process sends you on.

Stay cool, keep positive... I'll pray for you!

kathie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-09-2008, 01:02 AM

It was reccomended to me before the surgery to buy some compression underwear and girdle types. They have been a life saver, and a distant relative sent me a pair of Spanx.... they are my favorite. It really helps!
I remain commando in the house, though.
Unread 04-09-2008, 05:27 AM

Good Morning Gals!

After keeping a chart for 4 years, seeing 3 different gyns, enduring a 34 day period during the holidays and after taking progesterone for 4 mths with no change, I was more than ready for some relief. The heavy bleeding, clotting, cramping, and having a uterus so full of fibroids that it was bigger than my head did affect my life and everyone I talked to pre-op said "You'll feel so much better." My mother & grandmother had emergency TAH's at 46 years old (my age), My mother almost died beacause she was anemic, andthey nicked her bladder and bowell and she came home wearing 2 bags and her recovery time was several months.

I have no regrets and will not look back. It is done! Even though I have had good days and bad days for 1 month as of today, I'm am so thankful that I had this surgery and am looking forward to enjoying life more than ever. I am type A personality and its so hard not to do things for myself and others. But because of having 2 nurses (my mom-surgical & aunt-ob/gyn) in the family, and listening to the dr about my c-sections scar tissue wrapping around my uterus, I am going to try to be careful so that I don't mess things up for later on. They removed my old scar and my new one ( 4-inch)looks so much better! The dermabond is the way to go.

This website has been wonderful and has helped me so much. I will recommend it to every female I know and I am having the Hystersisters hysterectomy booklet mailed to me and sent to Dr's office.

I hope everyone continues to recover well and God bless!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-09-2008, 06:04 AM

R4RTN- I am appalled that you sffered a 34 day period. Mine averaged 14 days a month, heavy, painful clotting, belly so swollen that I looked pregnant.
And yet I listened to my family Dr and his nurse practicioner (and nurse friends of mine) who told me that this was NORMAL perimenopause.
Finally my best friend refered me to her GYN:
Jeez, turns out I had huge fibroids- mine were also too large by then that could not be removed vaginally.
I keep looking for spotting when I wipe, because I am just so conditioned to bleeding all the time... I need to retrain myself NO MORE PERIODS- YIPPEE!!
Unread 04-09-2008, 06:35 AM

Tunacat

My dr said there was no other alternative and I had suffered long enough. I too look everytime I wipe. I spent a fortune in pads, tampons, midol, etc. I am looking forward to life without these unecessary problems. I can vividly remember so many times when life was affected by my **** peroid! I should write a book-Ha! Ha! Two Novembers ago when camping with another couple, we were sitting around the campfire having a glass of wine, trying to relax from our high stress jobs. It was cold and I had on a thick down filled coat. I went inside to go to the bathroom. I was drenched with blood. Because my coat was thick it did not show on the back. I had to take a shower right then and change clothes. Our friends asked if I had fell in because I was gone so long. I have been so weak and anemic from periods. My DH of (30 yrs) has been wonderful and supportive and he too is looking forward to more um.. you know...quality of life. Ha! I can't wait! I do feel so relieved! No one should have to live that way.

Have a wonderful periodless day!
Unread 04-09-2008, 06:52 AM
back at work

Hello Ladies,
I wrote a lenghty post yesterday, then tried to edit it and lost it all !! i was too tired to redo it.

I don't post often but i do read every day your trials and tribulations and get strength from you all so thank you very much.

I am back to work part time and I have to say now i truly appreciate why others on this site warn against going back before you have to.

I have gone back very gradual. 4 hours Monday - 6 hours today and then about 17 hours next week - My work is not demanding and my colleagues are very supportive - however i was not expecting to feel as tired and achy as i did Monday afternoon when i got home.

I think the biggest disappointment is my family's reactions. Specifically my husband. Although he never pampered me he would inquire about how i felt from time to time or offer to get me some food or drink - Well after Monday - forget it!

I think in his mind if i can go to work then i don't need any more help or sympathy. Hey, i would even accept pity..

Ahh well. things could always be worse right? I think i've had an uneventful recovery. My first follow up appointment is on April 25th. later then i wanted it but the soonest by doctor can see me.

last night i woke up with incredible leg pain - intermittent felt like my right quadricep was in spasm or it could have been sciatic pain. Kept me awake for about an hour and then it became part of my dream.

I need to get ready for work soon. I'm having trouble trying to figure out what to wear!! I am teaching a class today (adults newly diagonsed with type 2 diabetes) so i need to look semi professional - yoga pants won't cut it, darn it.

worse, i may have to shave my legs and i'm just not up for it.

Have a great day all -

Chrys
Unread 04-09-2008, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready4reliefnTN
Tunacat

My dr said there was no other alternative and I had suffered long enough. I too look everytime I wipe. I spent a fortune in pads, tampons, midol, etc. I am looking forward to life without these unecessary problems. I can vividly remember so many times when life was affected by my **** peroid! I should write a book-Ha! Ha! Two Novembers ago when camping with another couple, we were sitting around the campfire having a glass of wine, trying to relax from our high stress jobs. It was cold and I had on a thick down filled coat. I went inside to go to the bathroom. I was drenched with blood. Because my coat was thick it did not show on the back. I had to take a shower right then and change clothes. Our friends asked if I had fell in because I was gone so long. I have been so weak and anemic from periods. My DH of (30 yrs) has been wonderful and supportive and he too is looking forward to more um.. you know...quality of life. Ha! I can't wait! I do feel so relieved! No one should have to live that way.

Have a wonderful periodless day!
I agree that no woman should have to suffer through monthly periods that are out of control, especially if they are done with having children.

Seven years ago I was diagnosed with adenomyosis and fibroids. My dr at that time did all the standard stuff, put me on birth control pills (even though I had my tubes tied), several D&Cs, etc. etc. Then we moved about four years ago. Since we now lived in a military town it was dictated by the Navy that I go to the Navy medical clinics for care. Well, the Navy was the reason that I was forced to give birth to 13 lb. , 11 lb., 12 lb. babies vaginally causing all of this. I was leary of Navy doctors and refused to go. So I went four years with no GYN care whatsoever and suffered the indignity of staining my clothes, my chair at work, my furniture....I even had to resort to red sheets on my bed and wearing Depends to sleep at night because of the heaviness of the bleeding. My periods were getting closer and closer together, lasting longer, clots the size of tennis balls, sometimes larger, etc. I started off missing one day a month off work, then two, then three....then the entire week. This would happen about every three weeks. I had to go to my boss' boss to explain (she was a female that had similar problems in the past) so I wouldn't get fired. Then it got to the point where I couldn't even leave my house for up to a week. At it's worse, I had to sit and sleep on a towel and anytime I moved I had to hold a towel between my legs.

I actually finally went to the doctor for something else, which require a blood count. My blood count was down to an 8. I explained what was going on to my PCP who sent me directly to the GYN who then sent me to the UroGyn. I finally gained the confidence in these NEW Navy doctors and I spilled the beans about how I had been living for four years. Upon internal exam, the first words out of my UroGyn's mouth were....."you REALLY need a hysterectomy". She gave me a Depo Lupron injection to try to shrink my 14 week sized uterus to a size that could be removed vaginally. Upon inspection she discovered my internal and external rectal sphincter was completely seperated. My perineal wall was practically non-existent. The damage from the trauma of giving birth to three very large babies was extensive. She was shocked that I had been living like this for 17 years.

It is true I am going through a very length and complicated recovery due to the extent of the procedures I had done (over six hours in the OR) but I would do it again in a heartbeat to live a normal life again. My only regret was not doing this years ago.

I am longing for the day when I wake up with no pain, gaining extra storage in my bathroom when I don't have to store pad, tampons, Depends, etc., where I don't have to plan my life around whether or not I'm bleeding or not. It's freedom and I haven't had that in a very long time.

Recovery Blessings to all!
Unread 04-09-2008, 07:27 AM

Denise, you have so been through it. You must be one tough lady! I too regret not having the option of laser or vaginal because I did not do it sooner, not to mention the years of missing family gatherings, social events, life in general, etc. because all I could do was work and come home and work and fall in the bed. I am so happy to think that life can get better!

How hard will it be to adjust to a periodless life? I can't wait to find out! Go for post op tomorrow- will fill everyone in.

I have new computer but I'm still on dial-up and boy does that make you exercise patience also.

Taker ez & Have a great day!
Unread 04-09-2008, 07:28 AM

I wish I could hug all you personally after reading the latest posts.
Unread 04-09-2008, 08:03 AM

Good morning ladies. Time to get my lazy behind out of bed soon and take a bath, get ready for PT at 3:30 this afternoon ....

Anyone else feeling like they're turning into THE BLOB? I want have so much I want to do.....My mind feels trapped in my body.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register