I may have gone through all of this for nothing! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I may have gone through all of this for nothing! I may have gone through all of this for nothing!

Unread 03-10-2008, 11:15 AM
I may have gone through all of this for nothing!

I am so depressed. I've been reading all of these posts everyday trying to find somthing or someone that is similar to me. I started having pain in my pelvic area about 5 yrs. ago. The Gyno I was seeing at the time just blamed it of "getting older". After 3 yrs. I decided I wanted a female's opinion on what was going on. I started seeing a Mid-wife. She thought my pain was due to adhesions (scar tissue) from my 3 previous c-sections. I had a lot of complications with my last c-section that caused my incision to rip open. Around Thanksgiving, the pain got so severe that I couldn't stand it anymore. I had an internal ultra-sound and was told that my uterus was pushed completely out of place and that my ovaries were covered with adhesions. It was decided that I needed a hysterectomy. I had a LAHS (kept ovaries). The Dr. told me that if she had to open the abdomen she would, but would try to do it LAPO. I've gone through my recovery time and was a very good patient (I was afraid of getting more adhesions if I wasn't). The pain I had previously has started to return. I have pain from under my rib cage down to my hips. It aches like a toothache. Nothing sharp...just there constantly! I saw the Dr. last Thursday for 6wk check-up. She was very disappointed that I still had pain. I was taking 3 or 4 Advil every 6 hours and it only took the edge off. She gave me some stronger meds and suggested I look into accupuncture to help with the pain. I am so depressed about all of this. I feel like an old women and I'm only 45! Have any of you had anything like this and does anyone have any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-10-2008, 11:25 AM

Did the doctor check your ovaries with ultrasound. My pain came back 2 months after my hyst and we have been monitoring me producing ovarian cysts every 2 months since then. The one I have now is about 8cm adnexal mass on the left ovary, I dont hurt every day, but the pain I get is from my ribcage down to my hip and around to my lower back, sometimes it goes across to the right side. Im no doctor but I would ask for an ultrasound, if you still have your ovaries there is a great probability that you are having cysts, they come and grow and go quickly, but some decide to hold on, that is why Im now scheduled for surgery on 4/1. I would d*****tely ask for an ultrasound! Good luck!
Unread 03-10-2008, 11:54 AM

Mandykat,
You described my pain to a "T". About 7 yrs ago I did have an ovarian cyst ruputure. It woke me in the middle of the night and I went to the ER. I've had 2 rupture since then. I didn't go to the ER because I knew what it was. I did have an internal ultrasound in the beginning of Dec. The tech told me she had a hard time seeing my ovaries because they were incased with adhesions. The Dr. was able to save them and remove the adhesions. I would think she would have seen a cyst then? Or can they come and go that quickly?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-10-2008, 12:05 PM

They can come and go very quick. I didnt have one in October at an ultrasound but then in December I had one rupture (you KNOW that feeling, no denying it). Just before my Hyst, I had one on my left ovary that was the size of a football 4 weeks before surgery. I told the doctor that I felt like I had a "slow leak" with the radiating pain, him and his nurse laughed it off, but when he got in me the football was gone but on the other ovary I had one the size of a baseball. You can get a cyst every month, as my doctor described it to me, we get small cysts every month that the egg bursts from, some of us just have increased hormone levels that cause the cysts to grow faster and larger than others. But you can have one come up grow to a decent size and burst all in one month then off to the other ovary, that is what I did for years until my doctor finally listened to me that I knew my body better than he did. Two weeks post hyst when I started with symptoms again he couldnt believe that I would be having cyst problems already so he ran an ultrasound and there was another one about the size of a golfball, since April of 06 with my hyst I have had at least 15 cysts come up and rupture that I know of, that doesnt count the ones that I didnt have as many symptoms with. So d*****itely ask!
Unread 03-10-2008, 12:24 PM

This sounds terrible to me...I had a complex ovarian cyst removed which was the start of this entire thing for me and I am not feeling very good about the fact we can have these cysts come/go all the time? And the thought of them bursting? SIGH..is this a particular type of disorder maybe? I kind of wish they'd have taken my right ovary if that is the case. The thoughts of another surgery would quite frankly put me over the edge right about now.
Unread 03-10-2008, 12:30 PM

Thanks for all of the info. I will be sure to ask. I can't imgine going through life with this constant pain.
Unread 03-11-2008, 11:09 AM

Yes, ovarian cysts can come on that quickly. Four months after my hysterectomy, I have four ovarian cysts. They weren't there at the time of my hysterectomy, both ovaries were perfectly healthy.

You were smart to see your doctor right away. I started having recurrent pain 6 weeks after my hysterectomy but kept putting off calling the doctor because I didn't think anything could be going on that soon. Was I wrong! I think my doctor knew something was going on when he did the exam, but he waited until the ultrasound was done to give me the news. Fortunately, none of them are so large that I needed to rush into surgery. I'll have another ultrasound done in 6 weeks and go from there.

I hope that you can get some answers soon!
Unread 03-11-2008, 11:15 AM

I was diagnosed with Polycistic Ovarian Disease. When they burst it is like the pain with an appendicitis --I say this because I was rushed to the hospital once and they thought it was my appendix they kept me 2 days running every test on me with nothing but an IV in case of surgery and then they decided it was a large cyst that had burst. At least when they do burst the constant pain and pressure is gone in a couple days until the next one. Some leak and then some do like the one I have now and they twist of themselves giving the reoccuring stabbing pains. I cant wait to get this over. Ill take hot flashes over pain anyday!
Unread 03-11-2008, 11:24 AM
I am as confused as anyone!!

I just wanted to add my two cents

I has a TAH in 1993 when I was 30 - kept both ovaries. In 2004 I had both ovaries removed. I have a history of severe endo. & adhesions.

In Oct 2006 I started having the same pains as I had when I still had my ovaries. I went to my Gyno and was told that I had ORS (Ovarian Remnanat Syndrome). We scheduled surgery and she removed a cyst the size of a ping pong ball that was attached to my peritoneal wall.

In Nov 2007 I went to my GP thinking I had a bladder infection due to the loer back pain that I was experiencing. The dr. sent my to my GYN because my urine was fine. I had an internal ultrasound where that found a "Large Mass" that turned out to be another ORS that turned out to be the size of a grapefruit that tooks two hours to remove from my peritoneal wall.

Feb 2008 I go BACK to the GYN for the same familiar pain and guess what??? I have another cyst.

I think I am going to loose my mind!!! I don't having anything left and I still am having all of these problems
Unread 03-11-2008, 11:28 AM

Oh LORD dont tell me this wont be over after the removal of my last ovary!!! WOW that just bummed me out at the thought of it! Well I hope you are better soon!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register