guts stuck to incision, anyone? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

guts stuck to incision, anyone? guts stuck to incision, anyone?

Unread 03-10-2008, 03:53 PM
guts stuck to incision, anyone?

Okay, I had my tah on November 14. Had a pretty typical recovery, had vaginal cuff cellulitis at weeks 2/3, was still healing at 6 weeks or more- took a while to stop having pelvic pain or achiness but felt pretty good at 7-8 weeks. Now the last two weeks I've been very achy, crampy, shooting pains from waist to my bottom, it aches especially where the incision seemed to be- the doc checked me out and said the incision seemed puffy like something could be pushing there- I could have something stuck to my incision- an ovary, tubes, bowels, etc- I guess like adhesions, she said that she's found that time heals things like that better than going back in to operate but had me do an ultrasound today to see, they couldn't find my right ovary. I had sex last night and bled a lot- which I had never done before- and it wasn't some crazy position- and the probe from the vaginal ultrasound made me bleed- and it really hurt- it hurt when the doc examined me last week. So, now I wait for my doc to look at the ultrasound- I was wondering if anyone had had something similar happen and what it turned out to be!!!?????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-10-2008, 09:36 PM

I think you should get a CT scan to check things out. I know I am a little paraniod and my situation was extreme and unusual, but my opinion now is that if you had an infection of your cuff it would be a very wise choice to ensure it truly cleared up. How I wish I could go back in time to do that!

I had cuff cellulitis also. I thought mine had resolved but mine had not. 13 weeks later I found I had developed 2 bad abdominal abcesses. The consequence was a major surgery with many lost body parts and repairs. I also upon diagnosis of the problem had become septic and I could have lost my life. Some of the very subtle signs that I had were a pressure type feeling in my pelvis. On and off I would feel a pressure like uncomfortable feeling in my pelvis when urinating. I had mild pain, and intermittent swelly belly. I had bleeding with intercourse and when my Dr examined me it wasn't painful but felt like pressure. The 10 days prior to *doomsday* I had a low grade fever at night 99-100.5. I had stuffed sinuses though so I thought the fever was a sinus infection.

I hope whatever is ailing you they find it quickly and the fix is easy. I will keep you in my prayers! Please let us know how you are doing!

Starbgirl
Unread 03-10-2008, 10:35 PM

Hi there! I would definitly not take the time heals all wounds like that for an answer sweetie. After 3 years of pain and indecisive doctors and inconclusive ultrasounds and scans, my doctor found out my real cause of pain during my hysterectomy. She found that after my last c-section which was 3 years ago, I had grown SEVERE scar tissue which fused my uterus to my abdomen wall, my ovaries were stuck in the mess on the sides, and my bladder was fused to the top of my uterus. Amazes me that they can't seem to find these things on ultrasounds, especially that my bladder was completely in the wrong spot. However, it only got this bad because they let it sit and waited, and made me feel like I was being a baby about it, or just were confused and decided not to do anything since they didn't know what was wrong. So please please at least try to get it checked out. in my experience time didn't heal anything it just turned my insides into a cement block, and wasted 3 years of my life to pain and laying on the couch. I hope that all turns out okay for you and that perhaps you don't have anything serious to worry about! good luck and best wishes!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-11-2008, 03:56 PM

OMG! Starbgirl you just scared the crap out of me! Those are exactly my symptoms-every one of them. Crap! I had an ultrasound yesterday and my doc called me today to schedule laproscopic surgery, to look around and see and take care of whatever's the problem- she wanted to do it this week but I said next week because I'm a teacher and we're doing ileap testing- jeez louise! Okay- well, at least it won't be long- it'll take me a week to get my life in order anyway to go in. What organs did you lose?
Unread 03-11-2008, 04:30 PM

spiceflower -

I am sorry I scared you. I didn't mean too, but in your original post I just kind of identified with you. The thing is my case was unusual and so chances are yours isn't what I had, but just in case it is - how lucky for you that your Dr can look and catch it early rather than wait for the mess that happened to me. I just wish I had known that this could have been a consequence. I had 2 CT scans after my original cuff issue. The radiologist reccomended a 3rd 6 weeks later. My Dr and I decided together that I was feeling so well that it wasn't neccessary. How I regret that now!!

So, I lost my tubes, ovaries and appendix plus the whole abscess / organ mess was adhered to my bowels so they had to call in a general surgeon to dissect the mess off my intestines and do repairs. I also lost alot of blood and had to have 2 transfusions. BUT by the time I fell ill and was hospitalized Feb 5th and had my surgery Feb 8th I was in MAJOR pain, septic and very very ill. The symptoms I posted in my first post above were the very subtle warning signs that I missed. By going in early IF you do have an issue your Dr wil catch it in time hopefully avoiding what happened to me.

Please let me know how you are and what happens. i'll be praying for you. And again, I didn't want to scare you, just to say check it out carefully.

Starbgirl
Unread 03-11-2008, 08:19 PM

Okay, well, I'm going to hope for the best case scenario and hope that we're doing everything like we're supposed to. You didn't scare me in a bad way- I just identified with what you posted and it occurred to me that I could have something like that. I appreciated the post because when you start having issues like this you want to know what's the freaking deal right away- and you gave me an idea of what it could be- it could be a lot of things- my dad and step mom are coming over here for my surgery because now they are questioning my doctor and what's happened- and want to speak for me- but I like my doctor and I think she's right in between cautiously optimistic and practical- I don't think she's neglecting me at all- people just don't realize the commotion and issues that some women have to go through- and that sometimes it's not an easy fix. I'm very achy and worried that I will really be in pain by surgery day but you've made me feel better. Thanks- I hope your issues are over and that you are getting better.
Unread 03-11-2008, 10:28 PM

spiceflower - I felt the same way. I liked my Dr too and he has always taken my concerns seriously. I just didn't think I had anything to complain about. When I would come on here everyone had aches and pains still and swelly belly's and lot's had bleeding after intercourse. It seemed to me that they were all the things you just deal with - you know they say it takes 6 months to a year. I actually didn't see my Dr after my 6 week check until the week before all this happened after the bleeding. That day he told me I should have been complaining to him and he suggested laporoscopy to see what was going on. I convinced him to try the silver nitrate first, because I had read on here how many ladies had to have that.

My family also was pushing me to get a second opinion after my big surgery on Feb 8th. so I went to my PCP and she agreed with the current state of my care. I think like your family mine just doesn't understand that this can and sometimes does happen and I was just the unlucky one.

Oh well, let us all know how it goes. We'll be thinking of you!! I see my Dr on Thursday and I have one last little issue that hopefully will be an easy fix. I have my fingers crossed and prayers going up!!

Starbgirl
Unread 03-21-2008, 12:32 PM

Okay, here's the verdict. I had adhesions everywhere from my bowels to my ovaries, I had some endometriosis, and both my ovaries were covered with hemorhagic cysts. Surgery took a couple of hours but I managed to get awake enough to go home on Monday. The doctor was suprised by the number of adhesions because she had just been in there (nov.) and had sprayed something to keep adhesions from forming. The worst part for me is just being so "out of it"- I can focus long enough to watch a movie but it's hard- it's like I'm on heavy duty drugs and I stopped taking my pain meds two days ago. I have 3 small incisions and it only really hurts on my stomach to the left of my belly button- sometimes it hurts really bad- most of the time it's like a bad bruise. All my body functions are working- the only strange thing is this discharge coming out of my vaginia which was sealed off by the vaginal cuff incision- today what came out of there looked like paper! I haven't talked to my doc about all of this yet, she said to call her any time but I've been so woozy. Does anyone remember how long it takes to really feel awake and alert and functional? That's the part that bothers me the most. I started hrt treatment Tuesday- put the patch on my bum- no big deal. I woke up at noon and I swear I'm almost too dizzy to stay up!
Unread 03-21-2008, 12:34 PM

Oh, she took out the ovaries because they were shot.
Unread 03-21-2008, 07:23 PM

spiceflower - I am glad this is all behind you. After my second surgery I started having issues with my cuff too which was wierd becasue they had not operated there since Nov. I think though what happened to mine is that taking ovaries and adhesions out of that area, which they did to me also, messed with the cuff interiorly. In any case I am now doing the vaginal estrace cream to ensure that all heals up really good. I think it's working because nothing is coming out of there anymore - thank gosh!!!!!

As far as hormones go, my surgery was on Feb 8th. I have been on hormones since then. At first I was golden, now I think mine need adjusting because I'm still not sleeping well, I've had headaches and my skin seems drier. It's a journey girl

I would call you Dr about the vaginal discharge stuff - I'm sure after all you have been through she would want to know and help consult you on. You caouls also ask her about the dizzy feeling. As far as hormones, from all I have read it seems we should give it time before we make changes, and then give those changes time etc. I'm trying to be patient

Hugs to you,

Starbgirl

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register