Stiff, Painful Back 3 Weeks Post-Op | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Stiff, Painful Back 3 Weeks Post-Op Stiff, Painful Back 3 Weeks Post-Op

Unread 03-10-2008, 07:31 PM
Stiff, Painful Back 3 Weeks Post-Op

3 weeks ago, I had a TVH due to anemia from heavy periods. Now, most of my discomfort is in my back and has been since my surgery. My surgery was supposed to last 1 to 1.5 hours but it lasted 3.5 hours instead. I didn’t have an ultrasound before surgery so my doctor didn’t know my uterus was enlarged and odd shaped. Also, my left ovary was encased in a cyst that broke open when he was removing it. He told me that he would have gone in through my abdomen if he had known the additional problems. All of that said and done, I went to see him last week because my lower back is so stiff and painful. It is difficult for me to change positions and it hurts to remain standing or sitting for long periods. He said it was possible that I might have some nerve damage but he wasn’t sure so he gave me a muscle relaxer and told me to lie on a heating pad. The relaxer makes me sleepy so I only took 2. I go back this Wednesday for my post-op check and it isn’t any better. I’m anxious to return to work but I don’t think I can stand to sit all day. Has any one else had this and what did you do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-10-2008, 09:23 PM
Been there...Done that...

Crpeddler,
Yes, I do remember the painful back pain. My back pain started at 2 weeks post op. The pain hurt down low in my tail bone area and radiated to both my hips. It hurt to sit for long periods of time. Sometimes walking (trying to stand up straight) and sleeping in bed. Take ibuprofen, the doctor said 3 or 4 pills at 200mg each. I also used an icy hot rub on my back which helped the best. It lasted about 2 weeks and then just went away, never to return. This is normal. I have been through it and know it hurts and is frustrating. It should be gone in a couple of weeks. Hang in there sister!
Unread 03-10-2008, 10:58 PM

Hi there! I'm almost 1 week post-op and started experiencing the back issues too. I think that it's possible that the back pain can be caused or at last part of it, due to the fact that we are using our backs to compensate for the lack of tummy we are using while standing, sitting, etc.... I think my tailbone hurts because I am having to sit down so darn much lol. Good luck hon!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-15-2008, 10:34 PM

I so understand your back pain. I am dealing with that myself right now. It is very frustrating and I am praying that it will go away soon. I've been searching the forum to see if anyone else was dealing with this, as sad as it is to say I am glad to see that I am not the only one. I was beginning to think I was abnormal...

Hang in there!
Unread 03-16-2008, 12:16 AM

I think it's very normal to have an achy back after a hysterectomy. If you think about it, our abdomen has been through a lot of trauma, even if you had a TVH. Your abdominal muscles do not want to work because it hurts if you use your abdomen. As a result, your back muscles over-compensate for the lack of abdominal muscles, and any time a muscle in your body over-compensates for the lack of another muscle, that muscle will start to ache and hurt.

A lot of people who tend to have back pain often can reduce that pain if they start doing abdominal exercises and strengthen their abdomen/core muscles. So, it's kind of the same thing here (meaning, our backs are starting to ache due to lack of abdominal muscle use... the only problem is we can't do abdominal muscle exercises during recovery).

Also, just going throug surgery, your body has been through so much, and so your muscles are naturally going to ache because of reaction to pain and stress because anytime you are in pain or under stress, you may not notice it, but your muscles tighten and if your muscles stay tight, then they will begin to ache.

Another factor is after a hysterectomy, we tend to walk hunched over for the first few weeks.... and this can really cause a lot of pain in our back.

And, also just all the laying down we do (or should be doing) and sitting down the first few weeks is hard on the back as well.

So, to me, I think it's very normal to have a sore back after a hysterectomy. My back is still sore and I'm 6-weeks post-op. I'm going to start getting some massages next week to work on my muscles and try to relax them and work out the knots.

Good luck!! If you can get someone to massage your back (spouse/partner, friend....).... that might really help.

Something you can do that helped me is to sit down on the couch or a chair and then arch your lower back while you're sitting down (so stick your tummy out so your back is arched) and while you're doing that, take your arms and roll your shoulders and stretch your arms up as well. This is a good way to stretch your back comfortably. I would do this several times a day just to get a little relief.

It does get better... my back killed me for the first 4 1/2 weeks, but just in the past 1 1/2 weeks, it has seemed to get a little better. But, it is still tense.

Take care.

ps. Also, if you can get someone to massage your feet and calves, this promotes better blood circulation through your body, and the better blood circulation you have, the less aches you will have. This is one great benefit to massage.
Unread 03-16-2008, 05:43 PM

I have had back pain ever since I woke up from the surgery. My surgeon had me go to my primary Dr for it. It is all muscular pain. There are knots in my muscles and he suspects that it is a result of the position during surgery and using different muscle groups since surgery. He prescribed a low grade muscle relaxer and exercises. Some days its much worse than others. At almost 5 weeks out, I am ready for it to go away.
Unread 03-16-2008, 05:53 PM

My biggest problem is the back pain, thats why my showers are so dreaded after a few minutes its this burning aching sensation, kinda like when your running and you get that cramp in your side, or when you cant carry something anymore..it switches from middle of my back to my lower back. I thought maybe because my uterus was tilted before and leaned against it, that now its not there i dont have that support, or it just feels different, not sure how to word it, samething sitting down i cant sit straight down on my bottom the pain bothers me, i was hoping all that was going to go away after my sugery. Maybe i'm having ghost pains since my body hasnt comprehened its all gone and so used to just being in pain..hmm I feel bad that everyone hurts, but glad that i'm not being dramatic and it is a real symptom that others have. I hand out mental massages to you all..feel better.
Unread 03-18-2008, 11:36 AM

I'm also suffering a lot with back pain 3wks post op, some days I just don't know whether sit down, walkaround, or lay down, I wish it would get better. Last night I used my swelly belly band around my back, it gave me some relief.
Unread 03-18-2008, 02:30 PM

I would love to tell you it gets better but after being back to work for 2 days it is right there letting me know... I think as the abdominal muscles get used to working again it will go away...

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register