Ovaries removed - feeling great | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Ovaries removed - feeling great Ovaries removed - feeling great

Unread 03-12-2008, 04:54 AM
Ovaries removed - feeling great

Hi
I have been an avid reader of all the posts and there is definitely a pattern between those who kept their ovaries and those who didnt. And the real biggie seems to be that those with ovaries still have the dreaded PMS.

For me this has been the best and i really do mean BEST thing about this whole business. I have gone 5 weeeks without any pms, that is the longes ever in my life since starting periods at age 9, that I have ever gone without feeling dreadful with pms. I know this wont be the same for everyone but for me it is worth all the other bad stuff just to feel like a normal person, who can think and make decisions without losing the plot every month. I know it is early days but I pray that this will continue.

I am of course having Power Surges (dont want to call them hot flashes as that sounds OLD and negative) but so far they are ok and dealable with.

Just wondering how others are faring without ovaries.

Big hugs
Ally x
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-12-2008, 05:00 AM

Hi AllyX,
I, too, had my ovaries removed (September) and I feel exactly the same way!! I'm 47, so perhaps that has something to do with it. The doctor said it was my choice, and I told him that I'd dealt with ovaries since Age 11, and I was DONE!! PMS, headaches, depression, crying jags, etc. NO MORE!! After the initial HRT jungle issues, I have felt wonderful. No ups and downs and now, no headaches!! I felt in my heart it was the right choice for me, and I'm so glad I went in that direction. If you are like I am, it will continue to get better. I'm glad you're doing well.
Unread 03-12-2008, 05:04 AM

HI KLGM
Thanks for that, its very encouraging to know that this feeling will continue. I couldnt agree with you more about all the crying, temper, mood swings etc And I am sure noone who knows me will miss them either lol

Just a quick question about HRT - did you go on it straight away or did you wait awhile? My Dr hasnt mentioned anything about HRT but I havent had my post op check up yet so maybe it will be then?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-12-2008, 05:25 AM

Hi AllyB91

I too had my ovaries removed, but because of Endometrious. The only thing left is my cervix. I feel good, no mood swings and I only cried once and I think it was because I didn't feel well, was tired of being in the house, etc. My doctor said I can't take HRT for at least 7 months because that's what causes the Endo. I am having "Flushing" but as long as it stays the way it is I can deal with it. I'm 39 so my doc is concerned about bone loss, etc. and may want me to take HRT. I'm still reading about the side effects, etc and not sure I want to.
Unread 03-12-2008, 06:03 AM

I had my ovaries removed, too. I'm only 2 weeks post op and have a few hot flashes but nothing too bad. I know it's early in the game, but it's encouraging to read the positive posts because I've been concerned about menopause symtptoms. Since I'm 49, my doctor's learning towards no HRT, unless my symptoms are severe.
Unread 03-12-2008, 06:17 AM

I just signed up/first time here. One week post op. My doc removed both ovaries/tubes/uterus. I did not educate myself well ahead of this and don't know if my cervix is removed???? The doc puntured my bladder so I am on this catheter and feeling uncomfortable. Also he started me on a patch for estrogen(HRT???) Should I be on that yet? I am a really busy professional and should have taken the time to know all of this ahead of surgery. Right now I am a bit scared and am so happy to find this website.
Unread 03-12-2008, 07:48 AM

Dear Sianli

Don't be scared. The hard part's over : ) That's stinks that the doc punctured your bladder. This was my first time having surgery and I didn't like the catheter at all and didn't know what to expect. Once that comes out, you'll start to feel better. I'm sure my doctor would have recommended HRT and did say that she may put my on estrogen but because of the Endo which feeds on estrogen, I can't for at least 7 months.
Unread 03-12-2008, 08:09 AM

Hi, had my ovaries removed also left the cervix. I am closing in on 49. The dr. slapped a patch on me in recovery and then I started oral estrodial the next day. I am now on Estratest FS. Since I had spine surgey I need to maintain and grow bone I will be on ERT. It is funny that some women have mild symptoms of the pause and some are really bad. In my case when I went from the estradiol to the estratest HS within 2 days I was having symptoms. Not just mild but all at once. It took great effort to just breath. I took two of the pill in order to make it full strenght and it worked. Yes I had dr. approval to do that. I have no intention of giving up my hormones

I have a friend that had Endo and she take the estrogen and progestrone. It is working great for her

Anyway all of you have a great day
Unread 03-12-2008, 08:28 AM

Good to hear I'm not the only one wondering about HRT after removal of ovaries. I'm 5-weeks post-op and feeling wonderful with the exception of periodic mild (as Allyb called them) "Power Surges" ~ what a clever girl! My Dr has suggested that I monitor and see how things go. If I find the patches to be useful, then that's OK, too.

Julia
~~~~~
47yo moving forward
02/05/08: TAH BSO
Unread 03-12-2008, 08:52 AM

I too had my remaining ovary and only have my cervix left. I feel great except I do not sleep the whole night. I wake up in sweats and go to the restroom at least once a night. But I am not the mess that I thought I would be. I am going to try to put of hrt. I am 42 and my dr. says that when I need them just call her. But in the meantime I am doing my own research as well as eating better and excercising.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register