pelvic pain and pressure after TVH w/A&P repair - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

pelvic pain and pressure after TVH w/A&P repair pelvic pain and pressure after TVH w/A&P repair

Unread 03-13-2008, 09:03 AM
pelvic pain and pressure after TVH w/A&P repair

So glad this thread was started! I was thinking about asking the same questions. I am only 9 days out from LAVH and major a/p repair - in fact when I had my 1 week checkup, the nurse dryly said "looks like you had the whole works!" I am feeling more soreness today, almost like an episiotomy. I was wondering if having to wear a pad all the time contributes to irritation of the tissue. Oh well, sounds like it's part of the healing process. I asked my dr. about bladder spasms when I was in and he said they could go on for up to 3 months. I had a really bad one the other night - actually in pain and wondering if I would need a catheter! Once I passed some bm's , it resolved itself and has been better. Hang in there ladies - we'll get through this!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-13-2008, 09:52 AM

(((Kathy))) the reason it feels almost like an episiotomy is that you most likely do have an incision there with stitches - pretty much the same thing, just for a different purpose. The tissues will be swollen for quite a while, and then will dry and stretch and itch as they heal.

There are some things you can do to make it more comfortable - ask your DR if these are OK. One is to either use a bidet on 'warm' or use a plastic squeeze bottle filled with warm water, sometimes called a peri bottle, to rinse off the area after each time you use the bathroom. Then just gently pat dry with TP. Also, spraying the area every few hours with Dermoplast can help with itching or soreness (it's an aerosol anesthetic spray and feels fantastically cool on the incision) - if they didn't give you this in the hospital, you can get it at any pharmacy without a prescription, or sometimes it's just in the first aid supplies aisle. And finally, sitting on a good donut pillow (I preferred the foam type rather than the inflatable, but both have their uses) will take the pressure off the perineum to keep you more comfortable.

Remember that when you've had these repairs, even just sitting upright is considered an "activity" and should not be overdone early in your recovery. I lived in my recliner during the early weeks, when I wasn't asleep or walking.

I hope this helps.
s,
-Linda
Unread 03-13-2008, 10:27 AM

'All of the things Linda listed have helped me too. I am still very uncomfortable sitting even now. It sounds like my repairs were almost identical to yours -- the Dr said it was like I had had 2 episiotomies--and there is about a 2 inch incision between my vagina and rectum plus the two internal ones--One thing that has helped me is EPIFOAM, the hospital gave me some but my DR gave me a prescription for it too--you shake it like mousse and put it directly on your pad--I also have witch hazel (TUCKS) pads that help. I wish I had a recliner...I wasn't made aware that sitting was considered an "activity" I wasn't able to do much sitting the first week or two because of discomfort but was never told not too. I've been ok'd to drive but thats really uncomfortable too.

I'm loving this website.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-14-2008, 10:20 PM

I have to wear pads, although I finally found long thin ones, my birdy isn't hurting so much LOL from the irritation of pads for almost 6 weeks....I take 2-3 colace a day to keep regular, and I have not been drinking enough water and when I had BM it hurt a bit....need lots of water...thats key! I will try better tomorrow. I had my best day yet today.....after reading that you all sound like me it gave me a shot in the arse, and I felt great today LOl...some must be in the mind then I guess.......although I hurt tonight from shopping today, I suppose I over did it, but I feel fine after resting. I think we are all awesome!
Unread 03-15-2008, 07:07 AM

I had a better day yesterday as well. I still have the symptoms from the rectocele that I had this surgery to correct--but I am hoping thats still from swelling. Still feels like I can't complete a BM--so want that feeling to go away. I do feel like there is less swelling than before though. My external discomfort is much better--it helps to sleep in pj's only NO PANTIES. The newest issue is I feel like I'm getting a cough--which is NOT good for these repairs--it hurts to cough and I'm trying really hard to suppress it. Have tried some OTC suppressant but it doesn't really work. My friend whose a pharmacist told me that the pain meds (hydrocodone) will actually help suppress a cough if taken with an antihistamine--I hate the way the pain meds make me feel but its worth a try. Any advice about this?

Y'all are great--hugs to all.
Unread 03-15-2008, 02:22 PM

(((Emily))) hydrocodone is a very strong cough suppressant, but I would not take it for that purpose unless directed to do so by a DR. I'm not sure the cough suppressing benefit outweighs the constipating effect that hydrocodone also has, especially with the repairs. Plus, the potential for unintentional abuse is quite high when it's not being used for pain.

http://www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/dr...ydrocodone.htm

I know it hurts to cough, but the coughing is a symptom, and sometimes it's the body's way of trying to get rid of stuff it needs to get rid of; I'm not sure that preventing the cough is always such a good idea. Ask your DR, OK? They may want to treat the cause of the cough rather than the cough itself.

I hope the cough (and whatever is causing it) goes away soon.

s,
-Linda
Unread 03-15-2008, 03:33 PM

Linda, Thanks for the advice. My cough isn't really too bad, I think I'm just really worried about undoing whats been done. I agree with you about taking pain meds for purposes other than what they were prescribed and I'm not a big fan of them because of the constipation issues--If the cough persists I will definitely call my DR--I think its just allergies or a cold--there has been a lot of really yucky stuff going around.
Unread 03-17-2008, 09:29 AM

Hello again. I am having another really down day. I am wondering when I will have a day when I am actually glad that I had this surgery. I am wondering about some BM trouble I am having after my rectocele correction--the last couple of times I have had a BM I have not been able to complete it--this is one of the reasons I had the surgery to begin with--but now I feel like when I go (this is really gross) the last little bit gets drawn back in instead of coming out. I know that I can't push but it feels like I need to. I really want there to be a good explanation for this and not that the surgery didn't work. I also feel like my external incision is now worse than it was a couple of days ago--there is a small blisterlike/pimple like bump at the base of my incision which is painful near the rectum. I would appreciate any insight into this. I am now 3+ weeks post op and eager for some improvement.
Unread 03-20-2008, 02:12 PM
pain and pressure after TVH w/ A&P repair

Hi girls,
I am really ready to have a day when I am actually glad I had this surgery done. I know you all have told me it will take awhile. Last week I felt a little better. Tomorrow is my 4 week post op day and I really don't feel anywhere close to normal. I still have a lot of pressure in my bottom and it really drives me crazy. Yesterday, I had to pee constantly and wonder if my bladder really got "fixed". I did find that after I took some ibuprofen that subsided so maybe I really do still have alot of swelling. Today this pressure in my behind is really strong even after I had a BM. (go figure) My drainage has lessened but I still have alot of external discomfort around my incision as well. My dh is very encouraging, but my kids are asking me why I had this surgery because "you feel bad and are being mean" that brought me to tears because my whole reason for doing this now was so I could have a better quality of life and be a "good" fun mom again. Last night I cried for hours--please help.
Unread 03-20-2008, 04:13 PM

Hi Emily,

I'm so sorry you're feeling bad - it seems our emotions are right at the surface, doesn't it? I get mad and/or cry at the drop of a hat. I just passed the 2 week mark and feel like when I pee it comes out normal, then just dribbles - that's the reason I had the surgery! So maybe it just takes longer than we think for the swelling to go down. It seems to me that one part of this surgery starts feeling better but then another acts up. I think that's what throws us - you start feeling so much better comparatively and then wham, something else flares up. From all the posts I've read, it seems to be the norm - 2 steps forward, 1 step back. You're in my prayers - both for physical healing and for emotional stability (speaking from the same need!)

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register