I feel like I'm pregnant!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I feel like I'm pregnant!! I feel like I'm pregnant!!

Unread 03-12-2008, 05:44 PM
I feel like I'm pregnant!!

This is my first post...I've been "lurking" for quite awhile since my surgery has been scheduled for January 30.

I've been healing okay... I think. My main concern is my stomach. I'm 6 weeks out and my stomach is still sticking out like I'm pregnant! I'm due to go back to work on March 24 and I can't fit into anything I need to wear to work!

I've read that I need to give my "swelly belly" time to go back to normal, but I'm not sure that this really makes sense for what I'm seeing. I have been walking daily, but my belly doesn't seem to be going back down.

The pain has been okay...I have pain that has been controllable with OTC medications. My doctor has said that I'm healing like I should be. I'm just concerned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-12-2008, 07:20 PM

I too am experiencing the same thing and I am 6 wks post op. I am extremely frustrated as well! I keep reading that this can happen and sometimes takes some time to go away. It really stinks!!! Anyway, I feel your pain and hope for both our sakes and all of the others that are frustrated by this that it goes away soon!
Unread 03-12-2008, 08:27 PM

Hi Mustang! and ncladybug:

My surgery was Jan 30, and I am due back to work on the 24 as well. I feel exactly like you do in physical appearance. I don't have the pain, per se, but more of a discomfort on the left side. The tender to the touch stuff seems to have turned the corner for me to, which has made me feel alot better. I still get tweeks and twinges, and "ohs" and "ouches", but I haven't had to resort to pain med's.

I am having problems with regular BM's and gas-- I am always passing gas!! And it is embarassing. I wish I could chalk it up to a new talent, if I could get a few new pitches with the kazoo! LOL

Clothing is still an issue! Do you find that first thing in the morning when you check your belly out (I know we all do that!) that it looks pretty good, but as the day goes on, it just starts protruding even more? I put heat on in the afternoon just because it feels better.

I figure for work, I will resort to elastic waist skirts for the first while.... **** about having to shave the legs all the time though

I read somewhere while I was lurking, that some of the other ladies, bought some Hanes Light Girdles (1) and they found that helped with the "jiggle" feeling.

I was glad to see your posts, because I began to think that at 6 weeks, this shouldn't be this way. My Dr said the same thing about it taking some time-- but I am getting frustrated too!

Thanks for sharing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-12-2008, 08:35 PM

HI Ladies!!!

I just wanted to tell you that after my hyst. I had swelly belly for a good long time...but the good news is that eventually it does go away.

I learned that swelly belly was a good indicator that I needed to take it easy. Do an experiment and see if you lay around and take it easy if your belly looks less swelly. I think that is why it grows by the end of the day.
Even if I am wrong it is a good excuse to rest and pamper the princess!! I wish I had done more of that.

As far as clothing goes, I loved my yoga pants. I also bought some of those ugly granny panties with the support panels...I felt funny at 31 years old, but it helped a lot.

After several months I had a flatter stomach than I could ever remember. After getting rid of a 3 month pregnant sized uterus and the swelly belly I felt pretty great!

blessings!
betts
Unread 03-12-2008, 08:41 PM

Thank you! So it really does go away! I kinda feel like it is an urban myth at this point... Thanks for pointing out that the belly can be used as guage to see if maybe.... I did too much.
I am so looking forward to putting this far away from my memory and am looking forward to being healthy again! I keep on celebrating the fact I don't have periods anymore-- I kinda giggle to myself about that- and what a difference this will make in my life.
Thanks for the suggestions. It is always good hearing from those that have already been there, done that and have moved on to feeling great.
Unread 03-12-2008, 09:29 PM

Glad I can help! I remember needing to hear the same stuff, it is so good to know that you are not the only one!

Yes, not having periods is pretty darn cool. My quality of life is so much better now, but it does take some time.

HUGS!
betts
Unread 03-13-2008, 06:54 AM

Another good product to try is Spanx. They can really help hold everything in too. ((((betts)))) what is "pelvic congestion" I had severe pelvic pain and I still am even after surgery. I never heard of your condition before. I'm trying to get answers to why I still have pain.
Unread 03-13-2008, 09:13 AM

Pelvic Congestion is like vericose veins in the pelvis. The area becomes "congested" and painful. In my case the veins under my uterus were engorged to four times their normal size. It was causing contraction-like pain. It is more common in women who have had multiple pregnancies.

Normally, I would wake up with little to no pain and then by late morning it would rear its ugly head. By the late afternoon I was in agony. Some days I had no pain at all and would think that it had all been in my head.

I also had terrible periods that were lasting ten days and then starting back up about 5 days later. My quality of life was pretty much crap before my hyst. I have a history of ovarian cysts busting almost monthly and unfortunately I am still dealing with that, I have a large one right now. It was worth the risk though to try to hold on to those hormones I think.

There isn't a lot of information out there on pelvic congestion. So, I can only tell you my personal experience. Mine occured after a tubal ligation, so I theorize that it made things worse in there. I had a lot going on at the time though so it is hard to say. I no longer have that pain anymore, but it might be possible to have it after a hyst.

Hugs,
betts
Unread 03-13-2008, 09:33 AM

What did your pain feel like and where was the pain felt the most? I am so sorry to ask so many questions but I can't seem to get over the pain I have in my pelvic area and I'm searching for any answers I can get. I have really bad vericose veins from pregnancy and even had them during my pregnancy in my vagina. I too feel great in bed in the morning and sometimes I don't want to get out of bed because I know the pain will start. I was always told about how much scar tissue my body would produce between deliveries, and that was why I had my LAHS, but I still have pain that just won't go away.
Unread 03-13-2008, 10:12 AM

Ask away! No problem!

The pain would start out more like pressure, like the bottom of my pelvis was going to fall out. Then at the worst it felt like hard labor, with contractions (I think my uterus was actually contracting) that never stopped. I had a lot of the symptoms of adenomyosis, it was my working dx for awhile. I also had bloating (like swelly belly) that was worse at the end of the day. Most of my pain was very low in my pelvis and in my back and rear-end.

At this point I probably have a little "pain amnesia" because it has been two years since I had that pain. I am tempted to re-vist my old posts...I am coming up on my hysterversary this Saturday!

Some of us do have more scar tissue than others. I had a hard time with my vaginal cuff healing, the dr. said I produce too much scar tissue. SO who knows what fun there is inside of me! LOL I have almost daily pain in the area where my gall bladder used to be. It radiates to my whole upper right side. All they say is that it is probably scar tissue and they would have to go in to see. If I have to have this cyst removed they can check that out at the same time.

luv,
betts

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register