clear fluid leakage problem? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

clear fluid leakage problem? clear fluid leakage problem?

Unread 03-13-2008, 01:00 PM
clear fluid leakage problem?

My total laperoscopic hysterectomy was 2/11/08. For the most part the surgery went fine, and I am now back to work part-time and feeling pretty good.

I had some weird complications and am looking for other's experiences. I had a couple of days of EXTREME fluid leakage through the vaginal cuff during week2 of my recovery. It got so bad I was soaking through pads. There was little if any blood, mostly just some vaginal tissue.

The doctor tested me for adhesions/leakage from the ureter and bladder. I had an Xray and a CAT scan of the lower abdomen to specifically rule out these problems. My doctor said that I just had some accumulated fluid and it would take time to reabsorb or leak out. I am really not sure my doctor really knows what it is.

Thank goodness I'm past that, but I'm still have some watery discharge at least once a day, sometimes more. I also have a little bleeding- I still wear a mini-pad just in case.

Anyone else experience anything like this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-13-2008, 01:53 PM

Hi Did your DR mention anything about the possibility that you may have had a seroma on your vaginal cuff? A seroma is just a pocket of fluid that can form at an injured site, much in the same way that a hematoma (blood-filled pocket) can form. A seroma most times will resolve (meaning drain itself) in time on its own, which could be what is happening for you - it would make sense that you had a lot of leakage at first and now it's tapering off. Sometimes it can take weeks to months for it to completely go away.

Of course we can't be sure that's what it is, but that is one possible explanation that would fit. You could ask your DR about it.

You are still not too far out in your recovery for this sort of thing to be considered normal. I had to wear a mini-pad until about the seventh week post TVH because of minor spotting and leakage.

s,
-Linda
Unread 03-13-2008, 01:59 PM

Thanks I'm glad I read this post, I had my tah 9 days ago, and I haven't bled, or had any actual discharge. I was curious about the clear fluid though. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-13-2008, 02:13 PM

Don't meand to sound silly but what is the vaginal cuff?
Unread 03-13-2008, 02:19 PM
Thanks

Yes, my doctor did mention seroma, but she also wanted to make sure it wasn't refilling due to adhesions from the bladder or ureter.

Thanks for sharing your experience- I am continuing to bug my doctor about it and we are watching it carefully.

Also, to the question of "vaginal cuff" my understanding is that this is where the vagina was closed off and stitched post-hysterectomy. It's not a silly question at all- if anyone has a better definition, I'd appreciate it.
Unread 03-13-2008, 02:30 PM

Thank you that explains it a bit.
Unread 03-22-2008, 06:22 PM

I am glad I am not alone about this watery discharge. I called my dr because I started to have this today(almost 3 wk postop), and she said it sounds like a vaginal cuff leakage, which is normal, but if I end up soaking a pad, then to call her back, because it may mean I have a fistula. Which I soooooo don't want that. So far,its minimal, and I notice it more when I use the bathroom. It does have a peach color to it.
I have to say I was crying and terrified when it happened, but having this forum has helped me thru all the difficult times I am going thru, thanks
Unread 03-22-2008, 07:04 PM

jgtdolphin- I was really scared too- I actually was soaking through pads and had several tests to determine it wasn't a fistula- I just had a LOT of fluid! I've been quite often post-op to monitor the situation, and it's really quite better(now in week 7).
Hang in there- it sounds like you are doing all the right things in terms of talking to your doctor and staying on top of the situation.
Unread 03-24-2008, 01:50 PM
question on seroma

I have been reading up on this because i am having issues with the test i have had they dont dectect any leakage but something is because by night time i am pretty wet. But the Urodynamanics test she thought maybe something was pushing on my bladder and and a possile narrowing in the same spot and mentioned something about a pocket of fluid the can form but is that what she would be talking about?
Unread 03-24-2008, 04:44 PM

i went to the dr today, and saw the NP, and she took a sample of the fluid, and tested it, and said my ph in my vagina is off, which means infection, so she gave me Timdamax. I hope she is right & that is all that it is. I'd rather have the infection or leakage, verses a fistula(hole in the bladder that can leak thru the vagina). So far the med is awful, it leaves a metallic taste in your mouth, and I feel very nauseated... Booooooo!!! Hopefully it works. Goodluck to you all.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register