Bowel trouble and hematoma | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Bowel trouble and hematoma Bowel trouble and hematoma

Unread 03-13-2008, 03:56 PM
Bowel trouble and hematoma

Ok, I just wanted to say something. I have been suffering from bowel trouple sense the day I had my TAH on Feb 19, 2008. I had called the doctor many, many times and he said it was all "normal". Well last Tuesday I started to bleed very heavy. I called the doctor and was now told that it was not "normal". Thinking now that I may have a hematoma. I have been talking with another lady on this website who had the same problems I was having. When her and I first started talking it was about the terrible constipation. I could not believe the pain that goes along with constipation. That and the gas was the worst part. In the end we both started bleeding and were both told we had a hematoma. They started me on an antibotic and I hope that it will just drain on its own. I just want people to know. They say that this is very rare. My doctor said that he has only seen four people with this condition. It just makes you wonder is it that rare? Why would some women get it? Did they do something different? Would love more info!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-13-2008, 07:44 PM

Hi,

I don't think hematomas happen very often but I guess when they do, they are extremely painful. I am so sorry to hear about yours. I was told they only happen about 2 or 3 times a year depending on how many surgeries the doctor does. I am recovering from one on my side. I came home from the hospital without even a bruise. The next morning I awoke with a hematoma the size of a grapefruit right under my right incision. The first thing my doctor did was take me off all anti-inflamatory meds. , something about thinning the blood. Yesterday I was allowed up for the first time in 2 days. I still have pain and swelling. Please make sure that you take it easy. I started bleeding from the cervix because the hematoma was leaking into the wrong area. The one thing that helped me was to stay off my feet and use ice. I am only taking tylenol because I am scared to trust advil etc. Make sure you stay in touch with your doctor. I have been 3 times this week. I will pray for you and a speedy recovery. One of the other sisters replied to me when I asked about hematoma. You might want put the word hematoma in and read some of their advice.
Praying for you a speedy recovery
Unread 03-14-2008, 06:18 PM

Thanks for the advice. My doctor told me to try and remain as active as I can?? Its really pretty hard to be to active because the back pain is really intense.

I wanted to wish you a speedy recovery as well. I hope that you are back on your feet soon. I know that a hematoma is rare. I will have to do some reach to see what causes them. I know the other lady on this web site who has had one was wondering the same thing. Was it something we did? Something the doctor did? Maybe it just happens? I do not know. What I do know is it really slows down the recovery time.

Thanks again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-14-2008, 06:50 PM

Hi! MJ, hematoma (((sister))), reporting for duty.

A hematoma is a collection of blood, sort of like a blood blister on the inside of your body. (Mine wasn't visible, and ran along my incision line in front of the abdominal wall.) We don't know how common they are, because probably most hematomas reabsorb without anyone even noticing them.

They can be very painful, but they are usually not serious, unless they become infected. In my case, the hematoma was completely encased in my body, so there was no bleeding at all. I just thought I was a slow healer plagued with never-ending swelly belly.

A hematoma isn't caused by a surgical error, nor is it caused by anything you did. It's just something that happense from the actual trauma of surgery. An analogy might be when you hit your shin on something -- sometimes you get a bruise, and sometimes you don't. It's sort of the same idea with a hematoma.

Often times doctors will tell you to rest as much as possible and avoid exercise, depending on where the hematoma is located.

In my case, my hematoma wasn't even diagnosed until I was 7 months post-op and it started really hurting. The docs tried to drain it three times, but it kept filling up with fluid each time. Eventually, the hematoma capsule was surgically removed.

Hope this helps.
Unread 03-14-2008, 08:05 PM

Wow!! That was really good info. Thanks for posting. I am sure happy that I found this web site. I have really gotten the best info from here!!

Its good to know that you got rid of it, sure is a bummer that it had to be done thru surgery. I sure hope mine does not come to that. This was the first surgery I have ever had. Honestly, I want it to be the last!

Thank you so much!!!
Unread 03-14-2008, 09:13 PM

Hey jjg08!! I'm so happy to see you started a thread on this issue! I got my catheter removed today.
So hopefully all I'll have to worry about now is just recovering. I'm still a bit paranoid about having more hematoma issues. I just hope my doctor know's what she's doing when it comes to this seeing that I'm the only patient of hers that this has ever happened to and all.
Is your bleeding still improving? Even though mine has I'm still having that dang bowel discomfort. I wonder how long this is going to go on for?????

Well I hope your doing better, and for all you other sisters who are suffering, you are all in my prayers and I wishyou the best of luck.
Unread 04-08-2008, 07:11 PM

I would just like anyone who has been told that they have a hematomia to be very carefull. I had my hyster on Feb 19, 2008. Two weeks later I started bleeding . At this point I was told I had this hematomia. The doc said that it was good that it was draining. Four weeks later I was told that it was almost gone. That was great news, although I was still feeling terrible. During this visit the doctor he said that I now had a cyst on my ovary and that was causing my pain. I may have had cysts in the past and never knew it, but this one was so painful. I kept thinking that the cyst was trying to burst, really I wanted it to. I just wanted to be out of pain. Four days later at the doctors office I was told that my hematomia was very large and infected. I also had a fever. The mass was so big that it had pushed against (I forget the name) but that little tube that drains your urine out of your kidney. I was put back in the hospital that day. Surgery the next day. At this time they did drain the hematomia. Then for saftey they insert a drain into your stomach, so that the remaining infection would drain. Two days later, they pull a couple stitches and pull the drain out!!

All I have to say is that we all know our bodies better then anyone. I knew that something was wrong after my hyster. If you are reading this and having trouble please keep after your doctor. From what I have heard, if I had not gone onto the doctor soon this really could have been a lot worse.
Unread 04-08-2008, 07:39 PM
hey Jig

I am so sorry to hear about how bad your hematoma was. Is it any better? Much of mine arose to the surface and the brusing is still there but each day it gets better. I think that some of my back pain has been attributed to the one on the inside. I definitely will make sure that they do another vaginal sonogram to see if my internal one is healing. I did have a doppler sonogram on each leg and the lower part of the bruising. They thought that a blood clot had broken lose. I only ran a very low grade fever the first week of mine. I still do not lift anything and am very careful not to overdo it.
I have already gone back to work. Do you have to go back to work or are you able to take it easy? I know these are a lot of questions but I bet there are more women out there with hematomas that don't even know they have them. If mine had not bruised my whole right side, I would not have known. They internal one I probably would have continued to attribute to gas.

So I agree. If others feel something is not right they should persist until the doctor helps them. So maybe others will read this.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register