Trying to make decision | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Trying to make decision Trying to make decision

Unread 07-24-2001, 10:18 AM
Trying to make decision

Yesterday, my doctor informed me that I have fibroids and one of my ovaries has a marble size cyst. My options are to use birth control pills until I reach menapause or have a partial hyster done. I had a tubal done in 1985 so it seems crazy to use the birth control pills and risk the migrane headaches all over again.

I guess I just have the jitters about surgery. Time off from work & family. Being limited to activities ( I am a new grandmother and enjoy taking care of grandson). I am 44 years old and I probably will not go thru menapause for a while.

I have heavy bleeding, pain every month and know that I will be happier after the surgery...just nervous..HELP!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-24-2001, 10:22 AM
Fibroids

Hi Linda,
I had fibroids too and found out that estrogen fuels them to grow. When I had my ultrasound done, there were 2, possibly 3 fibroids found. After my hyst, I had loads of fibroids all over my uterus that were not seen on the u/s. I did research on the pill and fibroids and found out that the estrogen in b/c pills makes the fibroids worse -- and in my case that was true.

I was scared of the surgery also, but after weighing the pros and cons, the pros of the surgery far outweighed the cons. I am almost 5 months post-op and am so glad that I will never have a period again and no more pain. I wish I had done it sooner.

Good luck!
Unread 07-24-2001, 11:12 AM
Trying to make decision

Hi Linda Welcome to Hyster Sisters. I'm so happy you've found us.

I had my hyst, last December for fibroids and rectocele. The decision to have an hyst is never an easy one. After all, it IS a major surgery and should only be considered as a last resort. In my case, I finally opted for it 4 years after the problems first started and 2 years after the fibroids were diagnosed. The rectocele was clincher: the time had come.

While some fibroids will shrink while using Birth Control pills, others are fuelled by hormones. In my case, mine went in overdrive after I tried a Progesterone therapy in order to regulate my periods.

If you visit the Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives message board, you'll see that there are other options available to you. Weigh the pros and cons of surgery and alternatives to surgery. I would also sugggest seeking a second, even a third opinion.

Whatever your decision, please know that we'll be with you every step of the way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-24-2001, 07:30 PM
Trying to make decision

The decision is a major one- don't take it lightly

When making my decision my GYN gave me a great question to help me make it: "Is your condition (mine was fibroids with pain and bleeding causing anemia) affecting your life such that you are not able to do the things you want to do?" He is really convinced that "quality of life" is the bottom line when having this surgery and I whole heartedly agree. I could handle the extra bleeding for a few days eachmonth before but the pain in the last three months has made me a "prisoner" in that I can't plan any activities with my family and have had to cancel some. That helped me make my decision. I hope it helps you some too.

Isn't the Grandma thing the best?? You can love them and spoil them rotten then send them home to their parents when they get cranky or tired!!! ENJOY

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register