What is the medical cause of swelly belly ? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What is the medical cause of swelly belly ? What is the medical cause of swelly belly ?

Unread 03-14-2008, 07:33 AM
What is the medical cause of swelly belly ?

I can't seem to find anything that states the actual cause of the swelly belly. Is it fluid build up ? A result of the cutting of muscles (which wouldn't exactly make sense since my swelling is from my chest to the incision) ? Actuallty swelling of the bowels and other internal organs ?

And is there anything that we can do to make it go back to normal faster ?

It feels like I'm carrying around a heavy rubber tire. Its really uncomfortable and is keeping me from getting a really good nights sleep (I really only sleep deeply on my tummy and with this extra 'roll' I just can't get comfortable).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-14-2008, 08:03 AM

From your date, you are less than 1 month post-op; it does recede, but you will feel a certain heaviness for quite a while. (I'm 3 months post-op, and I still feel heaviness in the area) Think about it -- your skin has been cut -- all layers -- and it's reattaching itself to muscle via the fascia. Your muscles have been spread open and they're going back into place (I don't think they "cut" muscles anymore, it's rare if it happens) Your body has been traumatized, and it does take a while for things to calm down.

When you go in for your 6-week your doc will be able to reassure you if things are normal, or do further tests if it's not. So just let yourself heal- - take it easy, and get plenty of rest.
Unread 03-14-2008, 08:14 AM

JoAnnDe

I think, at around 6-8 weeks post-op, I was finally able to wear my "pre-op jeans"! As ((soprano2)) says, you're still very early in your recovery. Making sure you rest as much as possible is probably one of the best things you can do ~ for any type of swelling caused by trauma. If you sprain an ankle, for instance, it swells up, and so rest is prescribed. But, if you try to use it, the swelling worsens.

We have an article, on the Post-Op Page, <link> Swelly Belly which I hope will help with more detailed information.

Sending all good wishes for a smooth recovery!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-14-2008, 08:34 AM

Thank you both. The explanation and the article did help - thanks for the link. Oddly, my belly doesn't seem to be any different whether I'm up and about or flat on my back for the day. Its just *there* LOL. If it didn't feel so uncomfortable I really wouldn't be concerned - I just want it gone so I can sleep on my tummy again.

I'm definitely still pampering myself I spend most of the day on the porch reading. In late afternoon I go inside to watch a little TV and then take a nap. I'm on the sofa watching television all night. I could get very used to this life of leisure --- too bad neither my boss, my husband nor my mortgage company will allow it go to on forever
Unread 03-14-2008, 08:47 AM

I'm almost 8 weeks post op and have been back to work and a normal schedule for 3 weeks. When I first went back to work, I noticed a lot of swelling, but just in the last couple of days, it all seems back to normal. Better then normal, really, since I don't have the look of a woman that's 5 months preggo! So chin up, it really does get A LOT better!
Unread 03-14-2008, 09:39 AM

I don't think it is only caused by cutting as I have swelly bellly and I had a TVH. I still swell when I am very active and over do it. I think it is worse for me now that I have been released to be more active. I cleaned and vacumed my van 3 days ago and have been swollen ever since!

Tammy
Unread 03-14-2008, 10:08 AM

I was wondering if you still got a with a TVH - thanks for answering that question !
I have to wonder if it isn't the actual organs that are swollen. It sure FEELS like my organs are swollen - sometimes its so tender when I touch it - not the skin, but INSIDE. I know my doctor had to do alot of work to release my intestines and bowels from the endo; I could see that causing swelling.
I was also thinking that perhaps its also the extra water being retained since I'm on a stool softener and a laxative (per doctors orders) since both cause more water to be retained in the stool.

I need to figure out a way to sleep on my tummy with this bulging belly of mine. I cannot, absolutely CANNOT, fall asleep on my back or side unless I'm watching television. Because of this I have to sleep on the sofa and I'm really missing being in my bed and sleeping against my DH. I tried it two nights ago last week and even tho I was exhausted and had taken tylenol pm I STILL couldn't fall asleep in bed. Other than the pain the first 5 days post-op THIS has been the worst part of recovery.
Unread 03-14-2008, 10:44 AM

There is not a medical cause for it because doctors don't think it exists. They think it's all in our head. I know mine does.
Unread 03-14-2008, 11:26 AM

missycat, I think you are partially right, I never got much input about swelly belly except from the hystersisters!

I had an LAVH and had a big swelly belly. I was sort of used to it as bloating was part of my pre-op symptoms. By 8 weeks it was much better, but would still swell up after I overdid it at least 6 months later.

My theory is that the blood is rushing to the area to aid the healing process. And/or possibly the blood that is being redirected that used to flow through the uterus? Add to that all the fluid that you hold on to after surgery anyway. I weighed 10 pounds more after surgery than I did before. Your bodies ability to flush all that is comprised as it is trying to cope with the trauma it has been through. Anyway, those are my non-medical thoughts on all of it.

hugs,
betts
Unread 03-14-2008, 12:01 PM

Betts,
How long did it take before it completely went away? I also weigh 10 lbs more after surgery and my belly is even bigger minus the 14 week fibroid. My doc has blamed is on gas, constipation and the latest one is age. Ugh! He said after a few months you should no longer have swelling from the surgery. But we know that we are not all crazy on here so there is something to the swelly belly theory. I am 3 months post op and I cannot lose the weight or the belly. I have been working out like crazy and eating all the right things to no avail. I am not overweight and have never had a weight problem. All I really need to do is lose that 10 lbs and I'll be back down to my normal weight of 125. I know the working out is not helping but it wasn't any smaller when I sat on my bum for the first 6 weeks, so I figure it can't hurt. The rest of me is looking better though

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register