What is the medical cause of swelly belly ? - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What is the medical cause of swelly belly ? What is the medical cause of swelly belly ?

Unread 03-16-2008, 01:26 PM
What is the medical cause of swelly belly ?

Cynthia, I had the dry preeling skin for sure. I still have those little bumps just under the skin that you spoke of. I assume it is scar tissue, but I really don't know.

luv,
betts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-16-2008, 01:31 PM
LAVH Cancelled, what is this?

Hello everyone, my LAVH scheduled on March 7th has been cancelled. I apparently developed pneumonia 12 days before my scheduled surgery. CT scan revealed what they think is a mucus plug in my lung. I also have sinus problems that not one doctor so far can fix so the gyn said no way. I have to wait until I get a clean bill of health both for my lungs and sinuses before she will do the surgery. Does anyone know what a mucus plug is???? Would love to hear advice from anyone.

Thanks,
kim
Unread 03-16-2008, 04:32 PM

Kim - you might want to start a new topic for your question. You'll probably get more answers that way. At the bottom of the page look for the "forum jump" and hit the "Go" button (it should say "Post Op Hysterectomy Support Message Board" in the box - if not, change it). Then hit the "new topic" button at the top of the page.
I have no idea what a mucous plug is, sorry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-16-2008, 04:38 PM

Hi
I am guessing that a mucus plug is what my daughter got when she had asthma and we didn' tknow it--a build up of fluid in the lungs. Her doctor put her on medications for it and also taught me how to bang on her lungs after she had a hot shower and took her medications (percussive technique, I think they call it) to help loosen it so it could come out. After a month of treatment it was gone (she felt better a lot sooner so it was probably gone sooner but that was when they did another xray.)
Since pneumonia is fluid in the lungs, I would guess that this is a particular build of thick viscous fluid. Are they treating you? They shouldn't just be waiting for it to go away on its own...
Deb
Unread 03-17-2008, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoAnnDe
Cynthia - I have the 'shedding" also. It looks like dry flaky skin or a mild sunburn (guess it goes with the sunburn feeling we've been having !). I thought it was just me !! Nice to know so many of these 'oddities' are actually normal !

I had read so much about swelly belly before my surgery - but honestly, I didn't expect it to be like THIS ! I'm waiting for the alien to come bursting through !
I am so glad to know its not just me! I've been putting vitamin E cream and coco butter on my incision, thinking that if its soft it won't itch. Imagine my suprise when I saw the flaking this morning. I had no clue why and was thinking OMG flakes on top of the stretch marks I already had! How gross is that?

Thanks so much for the explanation of the belly. My dr. also said it would go away in time but really gave me no explanation. You guys rock. Thanks again!

Be blessed and know the best is yet to come!
Unread 03-17-2008, 04:12 PM

Sylvia - I still have a very scabby incision. The whole thing is still scabbed over. Does yours still have a scab ? I thought we weren't supposed to put any sort of cream or Vit E on a scab, so I'm assuming that you have no scab anymore and that my incision is healing too slow.
My post op is on Thursday. I feel bad for my doc - he's gonna get bombarded with another zillion questions. Thankfully he's a very very patient man and spends as much time with his patients as they need, cuz I'm gonna need it ! LOL
Unread 03-18-2008, 06:51 AM

JoAnn, My incision no longer has a scab and the flakes are actually on my stomach around the incision. My stomach is so huge the incision makes it look like I have two rear ends! I also had disolving stitches and when I saw my dr. last week she took out a little one at the base of the incision and boy did that hurt! I understand about having a patient and understanding dr. I'm also glad that I was able to find a good female gyn/surgeon (she is the head of the department at my hospital), to me it seems like she really understands. I wish all of the other sisters had such caring doctors.

Take care and rest sisters, the best is yet to come!
Unread 03-18-2008, 10:14 AM

I have the flaking above the incision on my tummy but the incision itself is still 100% scabbed. I wonder if its the Dermabond that holds the scab there longer than normal ? I guess I'll find out at my post op on Thursday.

The swelly belly is still there but its not as painful as it was a few days ago - at least I don't feel like I'm going to burst opened anymore. Its still tender, so I'm sure its from the bowel / intestine work since the tenderness is no where near the incision.

I'll take all of it tho .... my near permanent backache is gone and I can actually feel the release of the internal pressures my endo and fibroids was causing. I used to have to urinate every 90 minutes - now I can wait 3 hours (had two large fibroids squishing my bladder). I really do feel so much better than I did pre-op already, even with the swelly belly.
Unread 03-18-2008, 06:35 PM
Swelly Belly with LSH???

I just had a LSH (laproscopic) one week ago, and I was wondering what was wrong with my stomach. Thanks for letting me know that this "swelly belly" is not unusual. I didn't think there should be this much swelling....and my husband was shocked that my normal 125 pound body now looks pregnant. I thought something was wrong with me. I had endometriosis that they got rid of with 1 ovary.
Unread 03-20-2008, 03:42 PM

I had my post-op appointment today and specificially asked my doctor about the swelling and how long it should last. His response was "what swelling ???".
In his opinion the swelly belly is because of lax muscles from the surgery, the lack of activity afterward and weight gain. My scale at home says my weight is about the same as pre-op. So I weighed myself and according to HIS scale I've gained 7 lbs ! Maybe he's right

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register