Overactive Bladder Three Weeks Post Op | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Overactive Bladder Three Weeks Post Op Overactive Bladder Three Weeks Post Op

Unread 03-14-2008, 11:06 AM
Overactive Bladder Three Weeks Post Op

Is this permanant? Has anyone else experienced this? Prior to surgery, I was more like a camel compared to friends and family, I long for those days again. Now my sleep is interrupted, I cannot make it through an hour long show! Although I can make it through some hours, but sometimes, I can't. Any suggestions? I do curb drinks at night. Although it is not helping.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-14-2008, 03:50 PM

peacewins

I'm sorry you're experiencing this ~ the bladder can be quite traumatised by this surgery and take a long time to settle down.

Have you asked your doctor about it? I think that would be a good idea, just to make sure there's nothing else going on like, for instance, a urinary tract infection. If not, then s/he may have other suggestions to help you.

Wishing you all the very best as you continue to heal!

Unread 03-14-2008, 06:24 PM

you should really call your dr..you could have a urinary tract infection. they are very common after having a catheter. my bladder was very sensitive (didnt go a lot but felt like i had a uti) for about 10 months post op. since you are going often, you should have your urine looked at.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-14-2008, 08:10 PM

I will call him, however, this does not feel like any uti I have ever had. When I urinate it is a full bladder, and there is no burning. Are the one's caused by catheters a horse of a different color?
Thanks
Unread 03-14-2008, 11:00 PM

I had a post op bladder infection and it was nothing like any infection I had before. It wouldn't hurt to have your urine checked. That is what the Dr is there for and if it's not you can rest assured and if it is you wouldn't want it to go untreated.
If you do they can give you antibiotics and something to help calm bladder spasms if your having them.
Good luck and I'm praying for you
Katrina
Unread 03-14-2008, 11:16 PM

I had a TAH almost 2 years ago. My bladder has not been the same. I do go longer than an hour, but it never got back to where it was. Prior to the surgery I was having difficulty urinating and even had to use a cath sometimes at home to even go because of an enormous uterine tumor (canteloupe), so I guess I'm just grateful. I do go more often than "normal" but it has tamed down to where it's not excessive to the point that everyone notices. I sleep through most every night without going, but am busy during the day. I do know that if I wait too too long, I get pain. That also has subsided as time went by. I think for some of us it never quite goes back to normal but it becomes manageble to the point where you don't think of it. Except for the dry hands due to all the hand washing.
Unread 03-15-2008, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacewins
Is this permanant? Has anyone else experienced this? Prior to surgery, I was more like a camel compared to friends and family, I long for those days again. Now my sleep is interrupted, I cannot make it through an hour long show! Although I can make it through some hours, but sometimes, I can't. Any suggestions? I do curb drinks at night. Although it is not helping.
I have expereinced the exact same thing. My family and friends always questioned my camel bladder. Well, my bladder got knicked during surgery and had to be repaired. i went home with a catheter for 18 days.

When Mr. Foley Catheter and I finally divorced, I felt like I was living in the bathroom. Seriously - for the first 2 weeks (after removal), I think I was in the bathroom more than for my bowel prep. It has gotten a whole lot better. My (Urologist) said that my bladder would have to be re-trained, but that I would probably NEVER get back to my old self. Pre-op, I would use the bathroom before I went to work and until the bleeding got completely out of control - I wouldn't go again until I got home (12 hours later). It is better now - 9 weeks post-op, but I hate this new need to visit public restrooms.

in there. Blessings on you....

Oh, I did end up with a UTI about 14 days post-op (catheter still in) and the only way I knew that there was a problem was that my bag started to fill with blood. I had no pain or other symptoms. So, I would call the just to make sure.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register