Is there a relation to appendix issues and hysterectomy? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Is there a relation to appendix issues and hysterectomy? Is there a relation to appendix issues and hysterectomy?

Unread 03-14-2008, 05:42 PM
Is there a relation to appendix issues and hysterectomy?

Just curious about whether there is any relation to having appendix problems after a hysterectomy. I notice that a few signatures have appendectomy in there with them and wonder why. Is it just preventative measures to take out an appendix while the doc is already in there or maybe all these people just happened to have appendicitis at the same time? I'm asking because I'm 5 weeks post-op and I'm getting sharp pains very low on the right side where I would think my appendix is. It comes and goes and doesn't last long, but its not near where I would consider the normal hysterectomy pains are. I go to my 6 week checkup next week and will ask him about it, but wanted to know from those who had appendix out, why.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-14-2008, 07:08 PM

My mom told me when I have my lap done Tuesday, to tell my doctor just to take it out while he's cutting out the adhesions. She knows of 4 women who had hysterectomy's and w/in a year had appendicitis and had to have it removed. I guess it could be a coinsidence, but the appendix is totally useless, so might as well take it out, right?
Unread 03-14-2008, 07:12 PM

When I had my previous surgery about 22 years ago (removal of large ovarian tumor and ovary) the doctor took out my appendix also. He said that it looked bad and should come out. I was glad to avoid an additional surgery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-14-2008, 07:31 PM

For me, my doctor recommended a hysterectomy last September. I decided to think about it because I wasn't sure I wanted it yet (only because I didn't think I had the time for a 6-week recover...HAHAHAHA!!! little did I KNOW!)

Then, in December I noticed my abdomen started to hurt all month long, and when I would run, I'd get a pain in my lower right side. So, I went back to the gyn (still hadn't decided on the hyster yet), and he told me it was probably the adenomyosis getting worse (he didn't know for sure I had adenomyosis, but he highly suspected).

So, I decided to schedule the hysterectomy.

Well, then in January, I just had this weird intuition that there was more going on with me (a total God thing in my case, I'm sure!!), and instead of going back to my Gyn who did my surgery, I went to my internist and talked to her about my decision to have the hyster, and then I mentioned I had all month long pain.

She and I talked about it, and she asked me if I wanted to have a CT Scan just to put my mind at ease. She did tell me (and so did my gyn) that if there was anythign else wrong with me, they'd get a good look while they were inside of me and find whatever was wrong. But, I kept on thinking, "what IF they don't see everything goign on with me when they are insdie of me."

So, my Internist told me to put my mind at ease, i should get a CT SCan. I agreed to it.

I had a CT Scan the first week of January. It came back showing my appendix was enlarged. I was really surprised.

So, my Internist called my gynechologist and talked to him and both my gyn and my internist agreed that my appendix should come out.... just preventative because they figured if it was enloarged, then it potentially could have something wrong later.

So, I had my surgery, they took out my appendix.... got the path report back and it turns out I had full-blown appendicitis!!!! I have a copy of my path report here at home, and it says "severaly infected" and even goes on to describe the colors of gross stuff inside my appendix...yuk!

So, basically, I HAD appendicitis but didn't know it, and I'm so thankful I went with my gut feeling and didn't take my gynechologists answer which was that it was probably my adenomyosis getting worse.

I have NO idea if problems with the uterus can cause appendicitis... I have no idea... but I AM thankful these happened at the same time because it has prevented me from having a second surgery.

If in doubt, go in for a CT Scan... it'll show if your appendix is inflammed. It won't show if it is infected, but it will show if your appendix is large, which is a sign of infection.

Good luck!!
Unread 03-15-2008, 05:21 AM

Sister444,
I was wondering the same thing as you because since Thursday I have been getting lots more pain that I have had and it's in the lower right and sometimes the lower left side. I'd been taking 600 mg. Ibuprofen for the pain but it seems much worse so I went to the Dr. on Thurs. and had blood work done on Friday morning at a lab. I couldn't get to my GYN since he is out of town this week but I'm hoping for results soon.

My primary did say that if you have a problem w/ the appendix you will get a high fever and a loss of appetite and I don't have those things at all.

This morning I am bleeding more than I have in a couple of weeks so I'm hoping there's nothing wrong since it's Saturday and no doctors are around. I was reading on the site that you can get heavier bleeding from the stitches coming out so I'm hoping that's it but I don't know why I'm getting the pain like you that's much lower than the surgery.

If you don't mind me know if you found out anything.

Hugs,
Janet
Unread 03-15-2008, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allie78
Sister444,

My primary did say that if you have a problem w/ the appendix you will get a high fever and a loss of appetite and I don't have those things at all.

Hugs,
Janet

Janet,

What your primare doctor said IS true, but a high fever and loss of appetite comes when your appendix is close to rupture... in other words, the high fever and loss of appetite is final signs basically before rupture and you're suddenly in an emergency situation....

But, for me, I did not have a fever or loss of appetite... the only symptoms I had was pain, but I just attrubited that pain to my uterus, so that is why both the doctor and myself were surprised when the path report came back saying I had "acute apendicitis" and it had quite a bit of infection insdie. But, I've done a lot of research on appendicitis since then just because I'm curious now, and I've found that appendicitis starts out as pain only (like what I had), but when you get to the point where you have a fever, loss of appetite and vomiting (another symptom) means that you are probably days from it rutpuring... and you don't want it to rupture!

So, I would not wait for the fever and loss of appetite signs.

Although, I will say that my appendix is gone now, but I do have pain in my lower right side still.... it could be from my appendectomy, but maybe not.... If it doubt, ask for a CT Scan or some other type of test that will show your appendix. That is how they found mine in the first place.

Did you have a TAH or TVH? I'm asking because my doctor told me my appendix looked bad. If your doctor did a TAH, I could be wrong, but I'd GUESS with a TAH the doctor would kind of look at other things in there to see if there was anything that didn't look right. I'm guessing if you DO have appendicitis and you did have a TAH that your doctor would have seen it... but mabye not.... maybe not all stages of appendicitis are visible from the outside of the appendix. I'd ask the doc for sure.

Good luck!!!
Unread 03-15-2008, 09:54 AM

Thanks so very much. I went ahead and called the Dr.,'s office today. My GYN is out of town and the person taking his place called me back. I also had extra bleeding so I was very frightened w/ the pain and that. He said he wasn't worried about the bleeding but the pain since my pain should be getting better and not worse. The surgeon will be back from vacation on Sunday so he said he would let him know. He also said that having the blood tests were good but if the pain gets worse or bleeding then I need to go to the ER. He said that my Dr. would order a CT scan also to see what's going on.

I had to have 2 surgeries from complications on my first surgery so I got very frightened this morning and was glad to see someone else had the same thing.

I had laproscopic where they took my uterus only out and on the 2nd surgery I had a blood infection that they had to take liquid out behind my pelvis which caused pain and also my fallopian tube was all infected so they took that out also. The CT scan only showed the liquid but they didn't know until surgery that the fallopian tube was all infected. The difference from then though was I was having high fevers from having the blood infection and I don't have that now.

Thanks so much for letting me know the information that you found out. I really appreciate your help.
Unread 03-15-2008, 11:00 AM

Allie -

I had 2 surgeries also due to complications. In my second surgery they took my appendix out only because it was caught up in the infection. I too had pain and fever with my first infection. But I think you should be VERY careful. I thought the first infectionhad cleared up and I went 13 weeks post op. The 10 days or so before my second surgery I had a low grade fever 99.5 -100.5 at night. I thought it was my sinuses. I didn't have pain really until the day my abscess ruptured and by then I was really sick.

If your pain persists and you have any fever at all even 99 I would go for the CT scan. Later when I read up on post op abdominal abscesses, low grade fever at night was one of the signs.

Good Luck,

Starbgirl
Unread 03-15-2008, 12:02 PM

I'm sorry your having pain and bleeding, Janet. I hope everything turns out ok, let us know what happens. I will definately let you guys know what my doc says on Monday about anything to do with the appendix and pain in the lower right area.
Loves to Run, your one of the reasons I thought about my appendix, because your signature I've seen the most, not saying you talk alot, hahaha, just that your in the same recovery update thread as me. Thanks for all the info. I can see how you are able to be a "speech giver" in real life! You have a knack for words. (I would rather crawl in a hole and hide)
And the fact that someone knows of 4 women that had appendix issues after a hysterectomy is interesting!
I'll be 6 weeks post op next wednesday or thereabouts, and I am scared he's going to tell me to go back to work, because I'm still having pain, nothing like in the beginning, but I couldn't imagine going to work for 10 hours a day and lifting and bending like I have to do. If I do laundry or clean the cat box, I can feel it the rest of the day! And I'm not overdoing it, I KNOW that.
Thanks for all your insight guys!
Unread 03-15-2008, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sister444
Loves to Run, your one of the reasons I thought about my appendix, because your signature I've seen the most, not saying you talk alot, hahaha, just that your in the same recovery update thread as me. Thanks for all the info. I can see how you are able to be a "speech giver" in real life! You have a knack for words. (I would rather crawl in a hole and hide)

Thanks for all your insight guys!

Hi Sister444 - - oh I can definitely talk a lot!!! haha. :-) But, from what I hear from my friends and family is that I'm the kind of talker who draws people in and is actually interesting to listen to. There are other people who "talk a lot" who are annoying... haha. I don't think I'm that kind of talker. Though I do have the ability to talk a lot, I also know how to listen!!! I've been told I'm a really good listener as well. Communication DOES have to go two ways, and I totally get that. :-)

I'm glad my signature in my post made you think about the appendix. (although, when I made that signature, I didn't mention my appendix with the thought that it'd help others... I just think of it as my "hyter bio". :-) ) Anyway, so I'm gald that signature has now served two purposes!

I just really love to help people and I received SO much help from the women here on this site pre-op and post-op that whenever I can help anyone here on this site, I feel my mission is accomplished! Most of all, my stress level has been MUCH lower through this process due to everyone here... just knowing what I'm experiencing is what most others are experiencing is SO comforting.

Best of luck!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register