Is there a relation to appendix issues and hysterectomy? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Is there a relation to appendix issues and hysterectomy? Is there a relation to appendix issues and hysterectomy?

Unread 03-15-2008, 12:23 PM
Is there a relation to appendix issues and hysterectomy?

Hi sister444!

At one time it almost routine for the appendix to be removed "just in case." That is not the norm now. Generally if the appendix is removed now it is for a specific reason. In my case, I was going to need my appendix out whether I had a hysterectomy or not. My appendix was inflammed with endometriosis and the "right sided sensation" I had felt for years had probably been the appendix.

I hope your appointment goes well with your doctor on Monday. Any new and unexplained pains after surgery need to be discussed with your doctor.

Let us know how it goes! s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-15-2008, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loves to Run
Hi Sister444 - - oh I can definitely talk a lot!!! haha. :-) But, from what I hear from my friends and family is that I'm the kind of talker who draws people in and is actually interesting to listen to. There are other people who "talk a lot" who are annoying... haha. I don't think I'm that kind of talker. Though I do have the ability to talk a lot, I also know how to listen!!! I've been told I'm a really good listener as well. Communication DOES have to go two ways, and I totally get that. :-)

I just really love to help people and I received SO much help from the women here on this site pre-op and post-op that whenever I can help anyone here on this site, I feel my mission is accomplished! Most of all, my stress level has been MUCH lower through this process due to everyone here... just knowing what I'm experiencing is what most others are experiencing is SO comforting.

Best of luck!!!
I absolutely know that you are a good listener as well, it comes through in ALL of your posts. Its also apparent that you just love to help people. Even when you have alot going on in your life with other family members, you take the time to come in here and help all of us! Where would we be without you! Your a beautiful soul, and maybe someday when I see you on Oprah, I can say, I knew her when...!
There are so many great women on this site, I'm just glad I found it, or I'd probably be laying on the couch worrying myself sick over every little twinge and wondering if I'm normal or not!
Unread 03-15-2008, 01:05 PM

awww... now you're making me blush! Thanks for the very kind words, Sister444! :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-15-2008, 01:14 PM

Starbgirl - it's interesting that you also had to have a couple of surgeries because of complications. I am definitely planning on calling my Dr. on Monday if he doesn't call me on Sunday since he'll be back in town that day.

I don't really know if I was running a temp at night since I had been taking 600 Mg. of Ibuprofen and that would mask a fever. Now that my pain has increased I'm taking the regular pain medication because the Ibuprofen wasn't doing anything at all for the pain. I'll have to see what happens tonight as far as my temp. goes.

I sure hope I don't have to go back to the hospital since I spent so many days there already but at least from what you've said it confirms things must be checked out and what signs I should look for along w/ the ones I already knew about.

Sister444 - Thanks for letting us know what happens for you on Monday and I'll do the same if I can get to see my doctor on Monday also.

Loves to Run - thanks also for all of your invaluable help. It is nice that there are people like you looking to help out the rest of us who are unsure of what's going on.

Hugs and good luck to all,
Janet
Unread 03-15-2008, 06:10 PM

Allie -

I had the same problem with my first post op infection in November. I was taking Ibuprofen and Percoset so my fever while there never went very high. Later I was thinking it wasn't a good idea for Dr's, IMO to say only call for fevers over 101 because of that very thing.

With my second problem I was 13 weeks post op so I was no longer taking pain meds regualrly. That time even though I had a VERY serious complication my fever was just low grade, and normaly it was gone in the am and went up to 99-100.5 in the pm's. I am sensitive to my temperature so I noticed it. The other thing is though I didn't have pain until the very end the second time, I had a wierd pressure feeling. Plus some of my early post op symptoms seemed to resume here and there and those were pressure on my bladder when I pee'd and pain in the bowels. But they weren't constant. Not even bothersome enough to call my Dr.

I think piece of mind once you have had complications and have had double surgeries is huge. If the CT scan only gave you that and caught no other problems, IMO it would be worth it. I'm going to have another one for that reason alone. I don't want to get 13 weeks out again only to be fooled when I thought all was well! That's what I thought last time

And I know it is silly because I see so many women on here who were OK with losing their ovaries but I REALLY wanted to keep mine. So when I lost them in the second surgery it was devastating to me. I know it's goofy, but it's how I feel. I'm slowly coming to terms with it. Mentally I'm sure you also feel a third surgery would be tough!! Let's avoid it together

Let me know how it goes,

Starbgirl
Unread 03-19-2008, 03:01 PM

I started feeling so much better on Monday and didn't have to take anything but the Ibuprofen. I did contact my surgeon to let him know how bad I had been since last Thursday but that I am doing much better.

I started work this week and I think I worked too many hours the first couple of days so now I'm going to work less. I would just come home and go right to sleep until the next day.

I'm so glad that the very bad pain has subsided for now. The only thing that I do know is I don't have a bladder infection. I do have to go back in 3 weeks to get re-checked because I had blood in my urine so they want to make sure that the blood goes away by then.

I'll let you know if any new developments occur.

Hugs,
Janet
Unread 03-19-2008, 07:24 PM

Janet -

I'm so glad your feeling better. I hope your smooth sailing continues!

I go back to work on Monday. Finally! I am nervous & excited.

Starbgirl
Unread 03-20-2008, 07:50 AM

I started out backwards from everyone here. I was fainting due to abdominal pain that had gotten so bad. Rushed to the hospital for appendicitis but then told I had crohns. Stayed for 5 days sent home on all kind of crohns meds. 4 weeks later......could not eat, drink, pass gas, or have bowel movements. I could barely open my eyes. Rushed to the hospital where an abcessed had formed in my addomen and was told it was crohns related. I stayed in the hospital for 8 days with a drain and then released with more crohns med. 4 weeks later....back in the hospital with abdominal pain....they kept me 7 days and told me it was crohns but surgeon kept asking about huge cyst on my ovary and referred to my gyno for consult. Sent home went to the gyno whom thought they were crazy for letting me suffer.......sent me for a level II ultrasound

He called me after business hours on my cell wanting me and my husband to come in to see him the next morning. This is where he told me that he wanted to do explatory surgery because it was a cess pool in there!? May have to do a hyster but will "try" to keep as much in there as he can....

1 week later I wake from surgery with gyno looking at me saying he was sorry that I had suffered so long and could not see how I was walking around. I had adhesions everywhere and my appendix had ruptured and attached itself to the back of my uterus. Tubes, ovaries and uterus were all together in a huge mass. It all HAD to go. O'well.....I am alive.

The best part is he said that I could still have crohns but he really doubts it. He thinks the inflammation that they saw came from all of the infection in me.

I guess........
Unread 03-20-2008, 09:53 AM

Oh my Bethany! You did go through alot. You are lucky to be here!! My abscess encompassed everything also so I lost it all too including the appendix. I was sad about the ovaries, but like you I am just happy to be here! I'm slowly coming to terms with the rest.

How are you feeling now? Are the pains gone? I feel pretty good. I a still nervous it will come back again. I am 6 weeks out tomorrow from this past surgery but the last abscess happened at 13 weeks out. I'm not sure how a person gets past the fear of another relapse other than to pass the 13 week mark healthy

Starbgirl
Unread 03-20-2008, 10:07 AM

Oh my you both sure went through so much. I had 2 surgeries myself and a blood infection and I guess I didn't go through near as much as the two of you did. I hope you both are feeling better.

I have to go back to the GYN on Apr. 1st for my next check-up.

Starbgirl - good luck w/ work next week. If need be you may need to work less hours like I am right now until you get your stregth.

Hugs,
Janet

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register