LASH-steristrip question | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

LASH-steristrip question LASH-steristrip question

Unread 03-16-2008, 01:54 PM
LASH-steristrip question

Hi all. Before I was discharged yesterday, the doc on duty told me I could take the plastic tape and steri-strip off my incisions. They are stitched, so no problem. I took one off today in the shower, and there is no external stitch, just a 1/2 cm incision. Do they do internal stitches? I left the other 2 on just in case .

Jeni
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-16-2008, 03:17 PM
LASH-steristrip question

Hey, be sure you find out exactly what your doc wants you to do!

I got sort of confusing instructions on incision care from the resident on duty when I was discharged. He just said leave everything on until it falls off on its own.

Called my surgeon a couple days after I got home from LSH to say everything was still very firmly stuck on and not going to fall off on its own. Found out that I was supposed to have removed the outer dressing (clear plastic bandages and white dressing under that the day after surgery.

But he was very clear that I was not supposed to take the steri-strips off myself. That may have been because there were some sutures, though. Had unusually large laparoscopic incisions.
Unread 03-16-2008, 03:20 PM
LASH-steristrip question

Hmmm...when I took off the clear plastic dressing on the one I removed, the steri-strip was stuck to it and came off as well. I will wait until tomorrow and call the doc office. I don't think I can get the clear plastic off and leave the steri-strip behind.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-16-2008, 04:02 PM
LASH-steristrip question

Since the steri-strips are supposed to "come off on their own when they're ready" then you're probably just fine. They were ready!

But I think the really important thing is to get the clear plastic bandages off. Otherwise you'll have moisture trapped there. Also, the longer that clear plastic bandage stays on, the more it will rip up your skin around the incision (and you don't need more boo-boos!)
Unread 03-16-2008, 07:38 PM
LASH-steristrip question

My lowest incision had a dressing with a saran wrap type plastic over it. My middle incision had steri strips. When I was discharged I was told to leave the lowest incision covered and my Dr. would remove it at my 2 week check. The middle incision I was supposed to change a band aid daily after showering that was covering the steri strips. When my Dr. removed the dressing off of the lowest incision I was surprised to see no stitches. I guess they used a glue on my incisions. He told me also to let the steri strips on the middle incision come off on their own. It took them about 3 1/2 weeks.
Unread 03-16-2008, 07:47 PM
LASH-steristrip question

Also make sure you do not have glued incisions...mine were glued, no stitches and the tape had to stay on until it fell off which was about 3 to 4 wks.....just clear it up with doctor so there is no doubt
Unread 03-17-2008, 07:35 AM
LASH-steristrip question

Good advice - make sure you clarify directly with your doc! I got the wrong instructions when I was discharged from the hospital. (Given type of surgery, I guess the nurses just assumed I had glue and steri-strips combo but it turned out there were sutures, too.)
Unread 03-17-2008, 07:37 AM
LASH-steristrip question

Thanks. Calling at 9am today.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register