BM question (sorry if this is gross) - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

BM question (sorry if this is gross) BM question (sorry if this is gross)

Unread 03-16-2008, 08:47 PM
BM question (sorry if this is gross)

I've had the same problem. I think I could lose 5 lbs if I could just have a good movement.

TVH Wednesday, 3-12, no movement to speak of since. Colase twice a day and semethicone every 4 hours (give or take) for gas pain. I called the nurse this morning and she said drink prune juice and a shot of Milk of Magnesia and it should do the trick. She said it's an old nursing home trick (great : ) and it seems to work. I just took it and within 30 mins of the Milk of Mag.....I'm feeling something working itself up. Will let you know.

Tip: Stay away from bananas........they bind? I didn't know. : (

Hang in there, this too shall "Pass" : ) ( Pun intended!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-16-2008, 08:48 PM

I know exactly how you feel. I had my LAVH on 3/7. I still haven't moved my bowels or even passed gas. I've tried colace, Miralax, prunes/assorted dried fruit, suppository and enema. I even stopped pain meds on my fourth day post-op because of the constipation (and have been suffering ever since).

Now I know I have a UTI that started Friday night (had mister foley in for a week), but of course it's the weekend so have to wait until tomorrow to go to the doctors to give a urine sample (won't treat without it).

My doc has been calling me almost every day to check up (lots of complications). Today he said I needed to go to the ER for a soap suds enema and urine culture. NOT happening! He even called back to speak with my husband to try to convince me to go to the ER. There is no way I'm spending the day in the ER because of constipation. I'm a nurse- I've given soap suds enemas when I worked with the elderly. There is no way I'm getting one.

Thanks for letting me rant,
Gigi
Unread 03-16-2008, 09:28 PM

try mirolax mixed with concord grape juice. I had a "HARD" time with this also. It got better the second week. I did the mirolax thing for five days in a row.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-16-2008, 11:10 PM
Bm Success!!!

SUCCESS, YIPPEE! Okay, the small glass of prune juice (10 oz. and 2 tbspns of Milk of Magnesia thing worked for me in less than 3 hours.

Just wanted to report my

I am going to keep taking a shot prune juice daily now (not sure about the M of M) until things get moving regularly again.

Hang in there............
Unread 03-17-2008, 12:39 AM

Colace sucks. It gives me horrible gas and creates more issues than it helps.

I have been giving myself a very small 1/4 cup, warm water enema with an enema bag every other day since surgery. It flushes out my rectum and associated area and it's very good at taking the pressure off my posterior repair stitches. The dr. told me I shouldn't be having BM problems but I gave up arguing.
Unread 03-17-2008, 08:31 AM

This question was posted somewhere else on the site and they talked about flax seed and consuming more fiber. I began eating my morning yogurt with granola w/flaxseed plus I added a little more flaxseed to the granola. I also took a colace after breakfast and lunch. I made sure I drank double the amount of water they suggested and the next day I was good to go. Its funny because I went to Whole Foods and they had flaxseed in Everything! I even bought frozen waffles with flaxseed and soy milk with added fiber. I think the constipation was a sign from God for me to eat better because I NEVER want to feel like l felt when I was stopped up.

Good luck and the best really is yet to come!
Unread 03-18-2008, 11:04 AM

Be careful what you wish for! Boy the flood gates have opened! I'm not sure if it was the colace 3 times a day, milk of magnesa 4 tbl once a day, raisin bran, salads, carrots, or prune juice. The bathroom is my best friend now! I don't want to get in this situation again, so did every one keep doing any of the above and did it work? Thanks!
Unread 03-18-2008, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw34
Be careful what you wish for! Boy the flood gates have opened! I'm not sure if it was the colace 3 times a day, milk of magnesa 4 tbl once a day, raisin bran, salads, carrots, or prune juice. The bathroom is my best friend now! I don't want to get in this situation again, so did every one keep doing any of the above and did it work? Thanks!

YIKES! I only took 2 tbspns of the Milk of Magnesia and about 10 oz. of prune juice one time. Apparently I just needed to "get rid of the cork" and kickstart my system because I haven't had any more problems since. Regular as the sunrise I did drink 5 oz. of prune juice yesterday with my oat bran hot cereal, but I don't think I need it anymore.

Now that you're in "flood gate" mode, be sure to drink plenty of water so you don't get dehydrated.

take care all and best wishes in continued recovery and painfree life
Unread 03-18-2008, 06:19 PM

I have had 3 BM's in the last two days..WHOOHOO Each one was about 3 hours after eating Cadbury's chocolate! I can deal with that. Before I tried the Milk of Magnesia but that only gave me horrible gas works and 8 hours later a BM.
Unread 03-19-2008, 12:10 PM

chocolate that sounds a lot better than the other stuff I've been taking! I should send the DH to get me some! lol

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register