How many of you worry about adhesions? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How many of you worry about adhesions? How many of you worry about adhesions?

Unread 03-16-2008, 04:11 PM
How many of you worry about adhesions?

My doctor did not give me too many instructions after my TAH. I have not really been lifting, have been doing a ton of stairs and some light housework. I have been careful at bending and have done a lot - hard not to with a three year old!! My surgeon was excellent. Because I may have been more active than I should have, do I need to worry about adhesions?
What did your doctors say about them?
Monica
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-16-2008, 04:16 PM

I worry, too. I had an LAVH and my dr. said zip about them.
I live in a split level and asked him about stairs and he said they weren't a problem. I have been picking things up off the floor every once in awhile but then I wonder if I'm doing something internally. Does anyone know when it's ok to push a grocery cart when you've had lavh?
Unread 03-16-2008, 04:57 PM

I had a TAH; my doctor also said zip--I was only cautioned about lifting. So i was careful about that, but I climbed stairs a lot--many times a day, beginning the day I got home--and emptied the dishwasher, and went grocery shopping, etc etc etc. I'm 7 months out, and so far, no problems at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-16-2008, 07:01 PM

my dr said to only go up or down the stairs once a day for the first 2 weeks. I also have adhesions I've had 2 laps so I worry about it too. My dr also said your boby will let you know when you've done to much. If it hurts stop doing it, thats what I've been doing of course I just got home from the hosptial Friday night.
Unread 03-16-2008, 07:24 PM

My gyn. did not discuss this with me at all, although she gave careful instructions about not lifting things over 10 lbs, no exercise except walking, etc. But when I went to see my internist for pinkeye, and updated him about my surgery and that I had adhesions, he spent half the time warning me about the symptoms of bowel obstruction. I took it very seriously since my mom developed adhesions a year after her hyst. and had emergency bowel obstruction surgery, (after years of misdiagnosis) about 10 years out. My internist says you can develop adhesions 15 years after surgery...very scary.
Deb
Unread 03-16-2008, 10:20 PM

Hey there! No one ever told me anything about adhesions prior to my hyst. However, when we went in for my hysterectomy thinking I was having endo issues, my doc found a big surprise. She found that most of my problems are due to my last c-section. Apparently everything got jumbled up and LOTs of scar tissue grew and turned my insides into a big block. My organs were all malplaced and it caused a bunch of problems. Her explanation of this was mainly that some people just heal abnormally.... So I would say to just really keep these things in mind and be super careful, while still getting adequate movement for recovery. I have to attend post-op physical therapy for awhile now too, to help and make sure that I don't heal this way again. It isn't pleasant. Good luck girls.
Unread 03-17-2008, 06:21 AM

I had my LAVH due to adhesions from 3 previous c-sections. It seems like my insides were a mess. I've had pain for the last 3 yrs. Severe pain for the last 5 months. I've been very careful with the healing process. The bad news is the pain I had prior to the surgery is back in full force. I saw my Dr. for my 6 wk check-up and she didn't feel as though there was much more that she could do for me. I can't live this way! I'm going to a new GP on Tuesday to get another opinion and point of view. Right now I'm just masking the pain with drugs (Lor-Tab) and that can't last forever.
Unread 03-17-2008, 06:32 AM

For me, I've had appendix surgery, three laps and one c-section and no doctor has ever mentioned the word adhesions so I probably shouldn't be so worried. I have read that some peopled are much more prone to them and that it doesn't matter how much we relax we are going to get them anyways.

I was in physical therapy (internal) before my TAH and it was amazing what they did and the muscles they found!! I am actually starting again at week 6 and she said it would greatly help with the scar tissue.

Lolee8 - when are you starting therapy?
Unread 03-17-2008, 06:32 AM

Wow. I also got very little by way of instructions - been trying to use common sense paired with what I have read here. No one even used the word adhesions. I assume this is scar tissue??

I've been picking things up off the floor and probably doing a few other things I shouldn't be doing. Not experiencing any severe pain so I have assumed I haven't done anything I shouldn't be doing...now I wonder....
Unread 03-17-2008, 07:02 AM

The very best resource.....I have found........regarding adhesions can be found contained within the Hystersister Postop Guidelines. Most surgeons don't dwell on them, because they know they are inevitable with all abdominal surgeries (except DaVinci procedures).

Most folks never know they have adhesions, unless discovered in other, later surgeries, or in autopsy. Other people are painfully aware, if they cause obstructions or other problems.

Like any other health situation, you have no real control, but can reduce your odds by arming yourself with the latest knowledge and information..............then adhering to what you have learned. The world can wait for you................a Princess gets only one chance to heal correctly. You are worth it! SOoooooooooooo.............take another look at those guidelines and postop articles.

Take care, Princess..................s......Deb

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register