How many of you worry about adhesions? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How many of you worry about adhesions? How many of you worry about adhesions?

Unread 03-17-2008, 07:07 AM
How many of you worry about adhesions?

Adhesions are scar tissue. I was told at delivery of my second and third child that my body produced unusually large amounts of scar tissue and it took them a longer time to deliver. That's all the knowledge I got. I never gave it another thought until I started to have pain and was told it was due to adhesions forming in my abdomen. I had an internal ultra-sound and was told my uterus was pushed completely out of place and the couldn't even find my ovaries. Now I know more than I want to know about adhesions! If adhesions get big enough they can develope their own nerve endings and blood supply. They also can "stick" your organs together. They can cut off your colon or bowel and messs up your bladder. I read were one women had them grow onto her spine causing nerve problems and she had to have back surgery. It becomes a visious cycle. You have to have surgery to remove them which makes for more scar tissue. Once you get them removed, some people have to have surgery over and over again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-17-2008, 09:58 AM

It's funny the things we worry about before and now we are still worrying!! Another source I found says adhesions cause about 10% of problems in people after surgery.
Hugs to all,
Monica
Unread 03-17-2008, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fibroid Woman
The very best resource.....I have found........regarding adhesions can be found contained within the Hystersister Postop Guidelines. Most surgeons don't dwell on them, because they know they are inevitable with all abdominal surgeries (except DaVinci procedures).

Most folks never know they have adhesions, unless discovered in other, later surgeries, or in autopsy. Other people are painfully aware, if they cause obstructions or other problems.

Like any other health situation, you have no real control, but can reduce your odds by arming yourself with the latest knowledge and information..............then adhering to what you have learned. The world can wait for you................a Princess gets only one chance to heal correctly. You are worth it! SOoooooooooooo.............take another look at those guidelines and postop articles.

Take care, Princess..................s......Deb

Just as an FYI, adhesions are just as likely with daVinci procedures, the method of surgery doesn't change the fact that you have had an organ removed and there are tons of raw surfaces. The amount of adhesions really depends on the individual's healing process and scar tissue formation.
Just my .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-21-2008, 12:05 PM

I had my tah nov. 15, and I thought I took it easy in my recovery- I made everyone else push the grocery buggy, fool with groceries, etc. - but at some point I was lifting and moving things because I felt good enough to do so- and because it was so hard to get someone to do all the things I wanted to do or needed to do- I don't know how much that hurt me- but I just had a lap on Monday because of fluid in my abdomen and the doc found a lot of adhesions- plus hemmorahgic cysts on my ovaries which were taken out- everything was all twisted up and connected- it'd only been about 4 months! So, I don't know what specifically made it happen to me- I thought I was taking care of myself and if I hurt or was uncomfortable I stopped. I think it's more about something in a person's physical chemistry that makes them more likely to have adhesions than what they do.
Unread 03-21-2008, 02:38 PM

I find that truly the only thing that was told to me was that I was going to have surgery to remove the cyst, uterus and hopefully leave one ovary. Only five minutes before the surgery did I find out they were taking the cervix only because I read on this site to ask. Truly the information we get is very limited. I'm sure all these concerns and issues we have are so second nature to the surgeons they don't think to tell us.j

I am going to ask about this because although I have NO PAIN and haven't taken any pain meds since my discharge from the hospital I am concerned because it sounds like we could be full of the darned things and not even know it.

I did a lot of research on the net trying to determine if there were any other symptoms other than 'severe pain' and there doesn't seem to be.

Here is hoping I guess...although it is a constant worry for me.
Unread 03-21-2008, 03:12 PM

I worry about adhesions because they found a few in my first lap. I had known they were there for a *long* time because during an endo flare-up, I felt like my groin was connected to my ribs with a string that was wayyy to short! Such pain left me gasping, even passed out a couple of times. They removed those during the lap, but I do worry about doing too much after my LAVH and causing more.

I expect because I'm prone to them, I'll get more. I just hope they're in less invasive and less painful places.
Unread 03-21-2008, 07:29 PM

I think if you have no pain, then there really isn't a problem wiht adhesions. The problems are when they cause pain, and particularly when they create a blockage int he bowel...which will cause enormous pain. I have talked a lot both with my internist and my gyn. becuase my mom had adhesions and related surgery, adn they both gave me the signs to watch for and also said that a lot of it is whether you are prone to adhesions, and that they can develop right away or after years. Charming, to think I may learn years down the road!
Unread 03-21-2008, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonLee
For me, I've had appendix surgery, three laps and one c-section and no doctor has ever mentioned the word adhesions so I probably shouldn't be so worried. I have read that some peopled are much more prone to them and that it doesn't matter how much we relax we are going to get them anyways.

I was in physical therapy (internal) before my TAH and it was amazing what they did and the muscles they found!! I am actually starting again at week 6 and she said it would greatly help with the scar tissue.

Lolee8 - when are you starting therapy?
Hi there, I'm starting physical therapy on Monday. I'm scared it's going to hurt, but i know it will help in the long-run. I have heard that they are going to do deep tissue massage, which sounds painful after a TAH, and also set me up on an exercise routine to strengthen ab muscles.
Unread 03-22-2008, 10:29 AM

Is your insurance paying for physical therapy? If so, how'd you get that to happen? Sounds like that would really help me. My abs are shot and I'd like to figure out some kind of gradual way to get use of my body again. I was walking and doing some strength training/pilates after my tah, before this, but I often felt like I was hurting myself even though it was far from vigorous.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register