LSH, how long are you taking off of work? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

LSH, how long are you taking off of work? LSH, how long are you taking off of work?

Unread 03-17-2008, 06:02 PM
LSH, how long are you taking off of work?

My doc told me to expect 6 wks, but I could be back in 2 wks. I'm not sure what to do and I know a lot is riding on my f/u appt. on the 28th. I know work will want to know ASAP so that can put me back on the schedule.

I just wanted to know when you "felt" good enough to go back to work. I am a nurse and I work 12 hr. shifts 3 days/wk.

After I had my lap chole last year I went back after 10 days. I can tell you that this surgery was much more extensive even though it was laparascopically. My abdomen feels and looks like someone beat the crap out of it. It ended up taking them 4 hrs. because my uterus was stuck to my abdominal wall near my old c/s scar. They had to put in a stent in one of my ureters as a marker. So far I feel bloated, gassy, sore, bruised, tired, etc. The percocet works really well and allows me to move around better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-17-2008, 08:01 PM

I had the LSH/BSO kept cervix. The dr. said 6 weeks, I however was sure that I could come back at 2-3 weeks. At the end of 2 I hobbled into work and informed them that it was going to be he full 6 weeks. I started back to work today and was very tired and sore. Only worked for 6hrs. I just can not imagine going to work any sooner. I do have a physically demanding job.
Unread 03-17-2008, 08:07 PM

I planned to take one week off, but ended up being out for five weeks.

Being a nurse, I would think that you would want to take the full six weeks off as your job is physically demanding. I am a Wine Wholesaler, so I am in my car (that's my office) all day...in and out of accounts. It was obvious to me, early on that I would not be back up and running at full speed right away.

I earn my living on 100% commission...I do not get any sick time, so this decision was a big one....fortunately, my accounts were willing to work with me, via phone, for five weeks. Yea!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-17-2008, 08:13 PM

I was released at 2 weeks by my Dr. with no restrictions. I returned to work and was fine. I didn't do any lifting for 6 weeks, though.
I think you'll just have to listen to your body and you will know when the time is right to return.
Unread 03-17-2008, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaBird
I was released at 2 weeks by my Dr. with no restrictions. I returned to work and was fine. I didn't do any lifting for 6 weeks, though.
I think you'll just have to listen to your body and you will know when the time is right to return.
It also depends on what you do for a living. Some jobs are far more physically demanding than others.
Unread 03-17-2008, 09:12 PM

My doc told me to expect to be off 2 weeks but i can tell you now at 1 week post op I am going to take at least 4 weeks off if not 6, my doc thinks i am crazy but my body is not bouncing back like he thinks it should be.
Unread 03-17-2008, 09:27 PM

My surgery was on March 13th and I feel good, but am really tired all the time. My Dr said 3 to 4 weeks after my TVH and after this week, I'm taking all 4 weeks. THere are so many things that I can't do in the first couple of weeks that the last week I will be happy to do a little more and get myself really ready to get back to the grind. I think there are so few times as women, mothers, etc that we can take time for ourselves, so I'm taking it.
Unread 03-18-2008, 03:59 AM

HI Michelle -

I felt the same right after my surgery, and I looked pretty bruised and beat up as well. The urologist did the uretheral stents for me, but that was a good thing since it prevents damage by the gyn surgeon.

I wanted to go back as soon as I could and started at work 2 weeks post-surgery. THings have gone really well and I feel better and more energetic every day. I have a "desk" job with no lifting or physical activity required - just sitting at a desk and going to meetings. I do work long hours (sometimes 10 to 12 hours, and around 60 or 70 hours a week lately)

You can definitely go back to work as soon as you have the energy and are not in pain. Let you body and your doctor guide you. You just had surgery, so give it another week before making any promises to the people at work. Try to take advantage to the time to rest and heal!!!
Unread 03-18-2008, 10:30 AM

I had an LSH and went back to work exactly two weeks post op. I have a desk job and a 50 minute commute one way. I would start out real good and then 3:00; I was done for the day. I was back to full days at a desk at week four.

Again everyone is different but I can not imagine a 12 hour shift, on my feet at 2 weeks. I only made it 7 hours behind a desk.

Take care.
Unread 03-18-2008, 12:00 PM

from all the nurses i spoke to yesterday and today after my lsh they said expect at least two but dont be surprised if you need the whole six, especially if you are a nurse on your feet doing 12-13 hour shifts. I can tell right now that I wouldnt be able to stand that long.
Good luck to you!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register