Anal Sphincteroplasty anyone? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anal Sphincteroplasty anyone? Anal Sphincteroplasty anyone?

Unread 03-17-2008, 07:20 PM
Anal Sphincteroplasty anyone?

Just wondering if anyone else had this procedure along with their TVH? Looking to compare notes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-18-2008, 08:52 AM

Hi Denise--

I had an attempted sphincteroplasty in Feb. 2007. My Dr., a UroGYN, tried to do the overlap but was unable to find the ends of the muscle to do it. Instead, he pulled the fascia in the area tighter and 'increased the tone.' All this was done in conjunction with perineal repairs done at the same time I had anterior mesh removal and then an anterior and posterior colporrhaphy done the old-fashioned way (with just stitches). I had to stay the night in the hospital which I did NOT like at all.

I was swollen for what seemed like FOREVER. I also was told to 'keep things soft' as far as bowel movements were concerned. It meant that I felt like I had zero bowel control for way too long. I hated it. I was taking softeners twice a day because becoming constipated would have been a major no-no. Instead, I had the opposite problem which was worse (to me).

After cutting down on softeners, it finally helped tremendously. I was also told not to lift much of ANYTHING for many weeks (6). Then I could gradually increase the amounts.

I do hope this info. helps you some.

Sending S and good vibes.......
Unread 03-18-2008, 08:47 PM

Denise -

How did your Dr appt go today? Did you get some reassurances that all is ok?

I hope so

Starbgirl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-18-2008, 09:28 PM

Hi, there Starbgirl.....you might me sorry you asked. I've just copied and pasted what posted on my Progress report. I have to go back again on Thursday.

Here's what I posted earlier:

Okay, well....today S-U-C-K-E-D!!!!!!

I had an appointment at 9:30 this morning with my the nurse practitioner at the Women's Clinic at the Naval Hospital where my surgery was done. The ALMOST re-admitted me! I just got home at 6:30 and I'm absolutely exhausted.

Everything from the TVH seems to be fine. But the nurse couldn't even touch the area where the sphincteroplasty was done. (My husband says it looks like something straight out of a Frankenstein movie). The longer I was there the sicker I was gretting. The drainage was almost out of control. My doctor was in emergency surgery and obviously couldn't leave for little 'ol me. So they had me on the exam table while the NP went to call my doc in the OR. They ordered a CBC and a blood count. Turns out my white cells were extremely high and my blood count was only at 10, which meant I was very anemic. I spiked a fever. My bp went up. My pulse was up. The longer I was there the worse I got. I had to go down to the lab to have the CBC drawn and then back up to the clinic. It was way too much walking than I should have done. We (my husband and I) ended up in the waiting room of the clinic and the pain really got out of control. My Percocet was at home because I didn't think we'd be there all day. I wasn't due for it 'til lunch time.

So........at 3:00 since my docs other case was still having problems she said she would let the doc on call check me out. But when the NP called my dr back in the OR and gave her my test results. She said I had to wait on her and I wasn't going anywhere. She didn't want anyone else to touch me, which made me very happy.

FINALLY at 3:00, my doc ordered oxycontin for me before she started her exam, which I dreaded. My husband was sent down to the pharmacy to pick up the scrips. It took 1 1/2 hours!!!!!! By the time I got the pills and they took affect it was about 4:30. I was still so tender down there that she STILL couldn't exam me properly. So if things couldn't get worse.....she had the np bring in a bottle of Marcaine. She had to inject my entire vaginal, perineal, and rectal area!!!!! I don't think I need to explain that there was no picnic in this. Finally she was able to get things numb enough that she could do a proper exam. She took out two stitches that seemed to be pulling. Then the entire wound was packed with medicated gauze, which has to be changed everytime it gets wet.

My daughter is a second year nursing student so I asked if it would be okay if she did it so I could go home. My dr said "sure" and if we came back in tomorrow she would show my daughter what to do. Ugh....nooooooo!!!!!! My husband, my wonderful husband stepped up to the plate. She showed him how to do it. He said he would do it if my daughter wasn't comfortable. But I said I'd rather have her do it......her fingers are smaller. :-P So he's going to show her what to do.

So ladies my private parts are becoming a family project.

Sorry this was sooooo very long. But it was such an exhausting, long day I had to vent.

I have to go back again on Thursday. God only knows what that will bring. If my white cell count doesn't come up....they may admit me for I.V. antibiotics. Please pray this is NOT the case.....5 days was long enough.

Talk to y'all later.
Unread 03-18-2008, 10:28 PM

Denise -

I'm sooooo sorry! What an awful painful day. I hope you don't have to get re-admitted also but if you do just know it is for the best.

I did not want to get re-admitted with my first post op infection so I battled it at home. Of course 13 weeks later I had surgery to deal with infection out of control. I know second guessing has no value but I cannot help sometime thinking what if.........

I just hope you are home and resting comfortably now. I will keep you in my prayers for a new road that is uncomplicated and that your healing really starts to expedite!!

Hugs,

Starbgirl
Unread 03-19-2008, 04:44 AM

Oh my goodness--I am sooo sorry you had such an awful ordeal! Many, many EXTRA S to you, {{{Denise}}}. It is NO FUN at all to have to do that kind of thing. (Just thinking about it makes me cringe.) It's painful in the first place and then to think of your whole family having to deal with such a 'sensitive' area....

I had to be readmitted 4 days after my original surgery in 2005. I got an infection and had a return of the spinal headache I had had from the epidural. I also had a blood count of just over 7. I was in sad shape. I didn't want or expect to be readmitted when I went to the doctor that morning, I expected to just be treated on an outpatient basis. However, my Dr. figured I looked pretty darn ill and he put me back in for 4 days. I was given IV antibiotics, a lumbar puncture, an MRI, CT scan, and it seems like hosts of tests. It wasn't fun but they did what they thought was best for me.

I do hope they find out what's wrong ASAP for you, Denise, and that you start feeling better fast. Hopefully, that will be outside of the hospital, but if not, you will at least know that your Dr. is keeping a close watch on you.

Sending massive amounts of healing vibes.........
Unread 03-19-2008, 06:34 AM

Many thanks and Blessings to all.....

My husband must be a good nurse 'cause after changing my dressings last night, I fell fast asleep and had the best night's sleep since my surgery.

I was able to get out of bed slowly but under my own power for the first time, too. What a difference a day makes!

Oh, and I had a fairly pain free BM this morning......it doesn't get any better than that! LOL

I still have to go back to the doc tomorrow but if I feel like I do now, I just have to pass the CBC test.

I still had a fever when I went to sleep lastnight but I woke up this morning fever-free. So we'll see.

So far so good, unfortunately one thing I've learned over the last few days is what is good today doesn't necessarily mean a good tomorrow. But I keep praying....

Blessings to all.
Unread 03-19-2008, 09:31 AM

Yea for a good night and morning! With these things it's baby steps

Let us know how it goes tomorrow. Hopefully you will get a big thumbs up!

Starbgirl

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register