Working Out | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 03-19-2008, 04:04 AM
Working Out

Anybody have any input when it would be okay to start working out again? I'd hate to lose muscle mass when it's more important than ever to retain it!

My gyn was kind of evasive -- depends on how you feel, etc... I definitely don't want to screw anything up inside, but I feel like such a lump only taking little walks around my complex! And I hate feeling lazy...

Two weeks out from surgery, and I feel like I've gained 10lbs from chicken soup, grrr...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-19-2008, 05:25 AM
Working Out

what kind of hysterectomy did you have? it all depends on that.
Unread 03-19-2008, 08:09 AM
Working Out

I know that at my pre-op I asked my gyno and he said I should be able to resume lifting weights (I don't go above 40 lbs) at about four weeks. I had an LTH. Right now (8 days post op) I couldn't even imagine doing that, but I still have a ways to go til the four week mark. As someone else said, it partially depends on the type of surgery you've had. Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-19-2008, 09:49 AM
Working Out

My dr. said I could do treadmill/elliptical at 4 weeks. I imagine I'll feel weak as a kitten but that's the way it goes. At my age (56) it seems like if you miss a few days at the gym you have to start all over again in terms of not being sore. I can only imagine what it'll be like when I go back!
I finally feel I can walk without my a/p repairs chafing so hopefully I can do longer walks soon to work my way back up.
Unread 03-19-2008, 10:48 AM
Working Out

My doc told me today at my 2-week post-op that I can can go back to working out with no problems, just ease off if/when there's any pain around incision sites. I'm looking forward to getting back in the pool and getting my abdominal muscles back in shape. Luckily, they were strong before the surgery, which is why I'm in such good shape post-op.

I think the key is to be aware of your body and how you move. Know when to back off of certain activities. And expect to do a shorter routine, because you're still healing and need more rest. I'd personally avoid any activity that bounces, because if a sneeze can still cause me pain, aerobics would nail me to the floor.
Unread 03-19-2008, 11:43 AM
Working Out

My dr said at least 4 weeks maybe 6. It does depend on what kind of hysterectomy you had, I had a total hysterectoy LAVH BSO. I'm 6 days post-op and I'm so sore and hurt I couldn't imagine working out.
Unread 03-19-2008, 12:18 PM
Working Out

I had my two week post op today and he cleared me for light exercising, including weights. he did tell me no core exercises for a couple more weeks. I'm SO excited. I was also in really good shape and my recovery was a snap but I think we forget we have internal stitches that must also heal ...

Review you diet! No need to eat fatty/caloric foods, especially with a lack of exercise. And remember that drinks have calories too, esp. fruit juices and sweet teas (of course, there are those with sweetners).
Unread 03-19-2008, 12:40 PM
Working Out

Thanks everyone for your input. I had a LAVH with both ovaries out, and my body's taken quite a beating from the "minimally invasive procedure." I expect it will be a week or so before I feel up to the task.

daxlou, thanks for the diet input -- I think the "10 lbs" I feel I've gained is more from the gas they used to inflate me and the swelling that I can't seem to get rid of. I have an extremely healthy diet.
Unread 03-19-2008, 02:11 PM
Working Out

I would call your doctor and find out exactly when he/she will OK you to workout. Every doctor has different guidelines.

Pre-surgery, I worked out 5 - 6 days a week and pretty intensly, too. My doctor told me NOTHING for 6 weeks.

I have a personal trainer and my personal trainer was not a bit concerned about my 6 week time off. He told me you cannot lose that much muscle mass in just 6 weeks. I know he is right. Yes, I might lose a bit of my fitness level, but my trainer said that within 6 weeks after starting to workout again, I'll probably be back up to the same fitness level I was pre-suergery.

I JUST started working out again this week (I was 6 weeks post-op on Monday), and it felt great. I am not running at all yet, but just am walking on the treadmill, and I am doing a lot of free motion weights that helps my core move and stretch.... my doctor at my 6-week check told me I have no restrictions now as to what I can do. He just toldl me if it hurts, to stop, and then try it again in a couple weeks.

Anyway, I know for me, if I were to guess my weight, I'd guess I were 5 - 10 lbs. heavier than the scale says because my tummy is stilll swollen. Swelling always makes you feel heavier than you are.

Anyway, check with your doctor for sure before you start working out. You don't want to create any complications for the future.

Good luck!
Unread 03-19-2008, 09:42 PM
Working Out

I have to wait for 12 weeks post op. All I'm allowed to do is walk and I hate to do that as my only exercise. I will resume my exercise classes on April 7th when I will be exactly 12 weeks post opt.

Downyocean

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register